Direct TV Dish Mast Size in Central Texas

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I am considering Direct TV and want to know which Dish/LNB would be used for the Select 125 channel package in Central Texas. I have several Primestar Dishes and want to use one of these mounts for a Direct TV dish. Specifically what dish would they use and what would be the OD of the mast for that dish. My Primestar Dishes use a 2 3/8" OD mast size. Does anybody know the current model dish used that I could look up on Solid Signal? Thanks.

All new Directv dishes use a 2" mast. I think only the Slimline dish is being installed now.

All new Directv dishes use a 2" mast. I think only the Slimline dish is being installed now.
Thanks for the info. I've got some 1 1/2" pipe stock that's 1.9" in outside diameter...maybe that dish clamp will pull in enough to grab it.

Thanks for the info. I've got some 1 1/2" pipe stock that's 1.9" in outside diameter...maybe that dish clamp will pull in enough to grab it.
It won't, but you can use some flashing under the clamp and it will tighten. That's what I did with mine and it's been in place for almost nine years.

Good idea. I also thought about building it out with some duct tape.

Over time the duct tape will fail. Use the flashing method.
I did it a few years ago and two wraps of the aluminum flashing worked just fine.

Just know that most techs would not install on a custom made mount, we have quality control inspections and that would not pass.

Good point. I wonder if Direct TV would send me the equipment and let me do the install myself.

I would as a retailer, and pay you to do your own install :)

But I'm even seeing the 18 inch dishes and the 18x24 dishes ship with the 2 inch mast.

The reasoning is if they have to upgrade the customer to a slimline it would already have the right mast. In addition now 2 inch is standard across the board.

I personally wish they would have done what dish did and standardized everything to 1 5/8

I would as a retailer, and pay you to do your own install :)

But I'm even seeing the 18 inch dishes and the 18x24 dishes ship with the 2 inch mast.

The reasoning is if they have to upgrade the customer to a slimline it would already have the right mast. In addition now 2 inch is standard across the board.

I personally wish they would have done what dish did and standardized everything to 1 5/8

I've got 10 dedicated Primestar Dishes(1.2 M, 1 M .84 E, .75 E) and a Channel Master simple meter. I don't have a lot of experience adjusting skew. I do however understand the concept. Would aiming this Ka/Ku Direct TV dish be a tough job or is there specialized equipment required?

It can be tedious, but it's doable, especially for someone with some experience like you.

I've got 10 dedicated Primestar Dishes(1.2 M, 1 M .84 E, .75 E) and a Channel Master simple meter. I don't have a lot of experience adjusting skew. I do however understand the concept. Would aiming this Ka/Ku Direct TV dish be a tough job or is there specialized equipment required?

I would get a TV and use the signal meter on the TV

I used to use a Primestar dish with a Directv LNB on it for 101 sat since the mid 90's.

The pipe was concreted in the ground, when I went to the slimline dish, I bolted a section on 2" pipe to the existing pipe, making sure it was level.

The tech had no problems installing the dish, I had 2 sections of RG-6 run in conduit buried, later I added two more.

I'm not sure every tech sent out would like it though....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)