Direct tv Equipment Purchase at store?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dwatcool

Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
At what store can i purchase Direct tv equipment and install it MYSELF? Is this even possible?

A few years ago i went to sears and purchased a Dish network reciever and satellite dish and took it home and hooked it up myself. I want to do the same with direct tv. If an installer comes out and installs, i will end up ripping everthihg out and doing it my way anyway.

You may or may not be able to get everything you need for a self-install at Best Buy or Circuit City. I don't remember the last time I saw a self-install dish kit at either store and I'm pretty sure I've never seen they have a kit for the current 5-LNB Slimline.

I'm sure you can buy the DTV recievers at Best Buy or CC. A while ago you could but the Slimline 5-lnb HD dish. If you can't buy the dish in the store, you can certainly buy it on line at numerous sites like Sadoun.com.

There is no reason you can't install yourself. Like you, Iv'e installed, or re-installed every system Iv'e had for the last 12 years.

But, keep in mind you can usually get a better deal, for both the programming and the hardware, when purchasing all a one time through DTV. Also, the 5-lnb dish is a little trickier to align. DTV will install for free, at least they did for me half a year agor when I requested a new dish. I had the old dish post set and the DTV tech simply put the dish the post aligned it and was happy to then leave. I did everything else.

Good luck.

Just order it through DirecTV and request a Senior/Lead tech, get all the latest specials/offerings. When he gets there, you should already have your lines run the way you want them. Make him install the Dish/Point it/Warranty it. So do everything but the receivers and the dish, make sure he puts those where and how you want them, and hell offer a hand. I know I would love you and probably tip YOU lol.

You will need RG6 3ghtz Solid Copper to each reciever w/no splitters/diplexers
Blue Compression Fittings (or black Quad).. you could even leave the ends undone and have the tech put em on.

4 Lines from grounding area to the dish area, and your homeruns to the grounding area.

If you are getting a DVR make sure you have 2 homeruns to that location.

I noticed at Costco there was a sign which said that the units they had were only for upgrades, not for new customers.

Really, I have not seen this type of documentation yet ...

Thats interesting :)

Costco's always has the info that the rec's are leased, I think it's also posted on the boxes themselves.

Jimbo

I bought my 5LNB dish on e-bay. Same with HR20-100. I am the kind of guy who likes to own his stuff and do his own work.

Then again, I just seem to have had a major crash on the HR20-100 so.... be careful.

I bought my 5LNB dish on e-bay. Same with HR20-100. I am the kind of guy who likes to own his stuff and do his own work.

Then again, I just seem to have had a major crash on the HR20-100 so.... be careful.

Why would you rip out a perfectly good working set up if D* were to do the install ?

If your so parinoid, why not run your own lines to where you would mount the dish and have D* just install the dish , afterall it's FREE and then THEY are responsible for any problems with the SS and such.

IF you do it and eventually have to have something replaced YOU will be the one paying for it, not D*.

That said, IF you know what your doing, the 5 LNB set up should take you 5-10 minutes to point and fine tune after you assemble it, assembly takes longer than pointing.

Jimbo

Just because you got the receiver on eBay does not mean that you own it. Most of the receivers on eBay are still leases.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal help, missing channels

Moving to a 2nd story house

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)