Direct TV in Costa Rica

Status
Please reply by conversation.

david@worldwideangling.co

Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I have a Direct TV system here in the US and also one in Costa Rica. The one in CR only has one English station. I took my US receiver box down there and it would not work.

Does anyone know how I would be able to pick up the same programs I get here in the US while down in CR.

TKS

signdel23.gif

Legally, you can't. D* is prohibited from broadcasting their US programming in Central and South America.

Physically why wouldn't it work? If he hit the sats with a legal box why wouldn't it work? Just curious.

Physically why wouldn't it work? If he hit the sats with a legal box why wouldn't it work? Just curious.

I never said it couldn't be done. What I said was it's illegal.

From the DirecTV website

Is DIRECTV service available in Canada or Mexico?

We are legally prohibited from transmitting the DIRECTV signal outside the United States. However, DIRECTV Latin America transmits to Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Uruguay and Venezuela.

I never said it couldn't be done. What I said was it's illegal.

From the DirecTV website

I got you. Even if he was a paying customer it would be illegal for him to take his equipment down to Costa Rica? I've seen a few snow birds from Canada down here in their vans with a Canadian dish strapped to their RV.

More Questions?

I would like to know what equipment a "lawbreaker :cool:" would need to make it work. I am curious, I belive that direct tv costa rica /Panama comes off of 119. What size dish would you need to get a paid usa signal. I can get my paid puerto rico channels off of the same local direct tv dish that I get my paid Spanish channels from but using a box/card from puerto rico.

Also I have a questions as to the use of the word "illegal" there is no law that I know of in costa rica or panama that says you can not get usa channels. Direct TV says you can not because the local franshise for direct tv does not want you sending money to the USA they want to keep it. So who is the authority making it "illegal"?

One more question what would be a good meter to buy so that a person could see what kind of signal strength is present off of a 1 meter dish, a identify a USA band?

thank you very much!!!

I would like to know what equipment a "lawbreaker :cool:" would need to make it work. I am curious, I belive that direct tv costa rica /Panama comes off of 119. What size dish would you need to get a paid usa signal. I can get my paid puerto rico channels off of the same local direct tv dish that I get my paid Spanish channels from but using a box/card from puerto rico.

Also I have a questions as to the use of the word "illegal" there is no law that I know of in costa rica or panama that says you can not get usa channels. Direct TV says you can not because the local franshise for direct tv does not want you sending money to the USA they want to keep it. So who is the authority making it "illegal"?

One more question what would be a good meter to buy so that a person could see what kind of signal strength is present off of a 1 meter dish, a identify a USA band?

thank you very much!!!
Back in the late 80s early 90s I helped a DEA agent set up a "C" band system in the Panama Canal Zone. A 16Ft dish was marginal for a signal centered on Kansas. Both DISH and Directv as they launch new satellites are configuring their broadcast antennas on the satellites to reduce the spillover of satellite signal outside the United States. I would guess you would need a 3-4 meter dish to receive the US satellite signals in the DBS bands. If there is even enough digital signal to work, Mexico and Puerto Rico seem to be the southern limits for DBS broadcasting.

Not as long as you pay for the service.

Sorry I disagree, it violates the contract, and DirecTV doesn't have service there, same in Canada, and other countries. You need to buy service from a provider in the country which you want service.

Again this is condoning hacking and violating DirecTV policy, simply because you don't agree with it doesn't make it legal.

I'm never posted here but the subject in questions seems to be unclear.US law bars any US Satellite or Cable operators to provide svc outside the US of their territories,For that matter Direct TV Latin was created,With that parameters only Puerto Rico and USVI are under the umbrella of the law because the political status here(US Territories)If Direct tv Choose to provide Puerto Rico with the US Satellites(Dishnetwork does)they can do so,However other than PR and US Virgins Islands they cannot.Bev (Canada) only provide svc to costumers who go thru brokers no directly with them.

I have a Direct TV system here in the US and also one in Costa Rica. The one in CR only has one English station. I took my US receiver box down there and it would not work.

Does anyone know how I would be able to pick up the same programs I get here in the US while down in CR.

TKS

To answer your question...... Directv in CR comes from Galaxy 3C at 95W, not 119,101 or 110. Your US receiver can get the 95w signal with the local ku dish, but can not process it, it needs a different authorization I guess. Now to get the 119,101 or 110 sats in CR with your US receiver, and get a somewhat decent signal (it rains a lot there), you need at least a 12 foot dish, otherwise you are SOL.....

About the legality of doing this, regardless of what anyone in CR will tell you, there is nothing illegal about that. CR does not have any laws against it, as far as I know, and the BS US laws do not apply in CR......

How do I know this.......been there, done that......and gave up because a 12 foot dish in CR will run you Mucho $$$$$$$, not worth it to me....plus CR TV shows way more skin than US TV...... 8- )

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)