Direct TV install - only 1 wire to dual tuner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeffincolo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Hey guys,
I am getting Direct installed today and the installer tells me he is using Directs new technology requiring only 1 wire to the DVR instead of 2 as standard (for dual tuner install). He tells me this is his first install with this type setup. I will let you all know how it goes.

Jeff

That would be the single-wire-multiswitch. Works great and is in testing in a few markets.

To make sure it works correctly, try recording two channels at one before he leaves and ensure they both play back properly.

Also, with the SWM there is no BBC connected to the back of the receivers.

The record and playback functions work fine. But is it normal for the HR21-100 to make a fairly loud clicking noise while powered on? It is setting next to my 622 which is comparably silent. I mentioned it to the installer who said it was fan noise and I would get used to it. Sounds more like a noisy hard drive to me.

Thanks,
Jeff

The record and playback functions work fine. But is it normal for the HR21-100 to make a fairly loud clicking noise while powered on? It is setting next to my 622 which is comparably silent. I mentioned it to the installer who said it was fan noise and I would get used to it. Sounds more like a noisy hard drive to me.

Thanks,
Jeff
That is interesting. My HR20 and my Dad's HR21 make no noticeable noise at all. My TiVo on the other hand is louder than my computer, even after I cleaned it out.

Probably just the hard drive booting up. Is it continous or just on boot up?

Continious clicking noise that is even audible with TV volume turned up. The clicking did stop a couple times during boot-up but ever since it is continous. I think I am going to call it in and see if I can get a replacement.

Jeff

Just called tech support and they are sending me another HDDVR which should be here in 2 days. Tech support thinks installer may have dropped it. So far other than the dvr noise we are very pleased. The install was very good and clean and he had to wire through a crawl space so we tipped him 20 bucks.

Jeff

Continious clicking noise that is even audible with TV volume turned up. The clicking did stop a couple times during boot-up but ever since it is continous. I think I am going to call it in and see if I can get a replacement.

Jeff
It sounds like it could be the fan.

heh, did it come in a white box with d* tape or a brown or multicolored box?

It came in a standard brown cardboard box with "HD DVR" printed in black on the top of the box. My standard reciever came in a white box.

By the way, the unit makes the clicking noise even with the power off.

Jeff

It came in a standard brown cardboard box with "HD DVR" printed in black on the top of the box. My standard reciever came in a white box.

By the way, the unit makes the clicking noise even with the power off.

Jeff
That is weird. Sure there is nothing living inside of it?:p

That is weird. Sure there is nothing living inside of it?:p

If I am not mistaken the hard drive is in operation all the time unless the unit is unplugged.

Just rechecked the box - brown cardboard with direct tv emblem on the top left and HD DVR in big black on the bottom. No white box and no blue tape, although that is how the standard reciever arrived.

Jeff

Got the new reciever today and installed it and no more clicking noise! Very happy so far with programming and PQ with Direct. Customer service so far has been flawless.

Jeff

Jeff, did you get a new Slimline dish with the SWM module built into it (one wire coming out of the LNB assembly) or an external SWM module? If you got the new SWMSlimline you're the first that I've seen getting one.

I did get the slimline dish but installer said SWM built in is about 2 months away. I have 4 wires from dish to basement then 1 wire to HDDVR in living room and 1 wire to SD standard reciever in bedroom from there.

Jeff

The box in the basement, did he give you a SWM8 then since unless you have a SWM in the config you're using only 1 tuner in your DVR's then.

The box in the basement, did he give you a SWM8 then since unless you have a SWM in the config you're using only 1 tuner in your DVR's then.

Yes, 5 channel SWM in the basement. Both tuners work on the DVR.

Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.