Direct TV on the Road?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Clams Canino

Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
South East
FYI I'm based in SCI took one of my "extra room" boxes and put it in the motor home while traveling for the summer. I was doing fine adjusting the dish on my own... but when I got to NH I needed to "consult" the box to get the setting for new England. So I punched in a local zip code up here. All went fine... except my "local channels" from back home vanished. ("not available in your area"). So I reset the zip code back top my own home zip. Still no dice. Then I tried a reset (twice) and still no go. All my local channels are gone. Can I fix this myself or do I have to call? Does Direct TV frown on a "travelling box"? Or do I not mention it's "roaming"?I don't hink it's possible to get the Boston local channels with my account - I'd settle for my own local (Greenville SC) channells back.-W

Spot beam? I never knew about that? Can you explain more? Will Direct TV enable the real "local locals" on this one box?A fee?-W (brand new to this stuff)

Spot beam? I never knew about that? Can you explain more? Will Direct TV enable the real "local locals" on this one box?A fee?-W (brand new to this stuff)

a spotbeam is used for Dish and DIrectv to reuse transponder space for locals. So they can use one transponder and have say 10 cities on different spotbeams

Spotbeams cover 200 miles tops so as example my spotbeam in Minnesota pretty much covers MN and western Wisconsin

Directv can offer NY & LA networks for RV but if I remember right the RV receiver has to be its own account and can't get locals on it

Understood. OK... final follow up. The "local channel" issue doesn't bother me so much as the 4 major networks the locals carry. Is there a "workaround" so as to get ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX without respect for "local stations" at all?

Directv can offer NY & LA networks for RV but if I remember right the RV receiver has to be its own account and can't get locals on it

Your other option would be to use an off-air antenna for locals while you are traveling. An AM-21 will integrate with your receivers assuming you are not using an HR20....

You can change the Zip Code on the box in the set up menus all day long ..... it does nothing other than give you the proper co ordinates to set the dish up.

Usually if your within 100 miles, you'll be the same anyway.

Your best bet is to use an OTA antenna, connect your antenna to the AM21 or OTA connection on your box.

You never said what recvr your using or dish set up.

Keep in mind the AM21 they are speaking of is just for H21 and HR21 or higher HD boxes.

If you are using an SD box (sounds possible since it is an 'extra room' box, that will not support the AM21 tuner. There is no easy option for short term locals if you are out of the spotbeam (definately the issue here). If you are going to be gone a long time to that location (think month plus) you can call and change your service address to where you are. That will change the locals you receive.

Keep in mind the AM21 they are speaking of is just for H21 and HR21 or higher HD boxes.

If you are using an SD box (sounds possible since it is an 'extra room' box, that will not support the AM21 tuner. There is no easy option for short term locals if you are out of the spotbeam (definately the issue here). If you are going to be gone a long time to that location (think month plus) you can call and change your service address to where you are. That will change the locals you receive.

Don't most of the older recvrs have a OTA tuner in them ?
Or was that just a pass thru ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)