Direct TV - Phone Line ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryane75

Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I'm lookin into getting DirecTV and I called their customer service line last night, but I wanted to see if anyone here gives me the same answers.

I don't have phone service in my house, I just use a cell phone.

Can I get DirecTV with the NFL Sunday Ticket Package ?

Also, can I get a DVR ? The rep told me I had to have a phone line.

Also, is it possible to get around the extra receiver fee. I have 5 tv's to hook up.

1) You don't need a phone line after initial setup. (Tivos I think do need a phone line or at least an internet connection(if supported) I believe the DirecTV DVRS get their guide data over the satellite.). (See disclaimer below)

2) I assume you mean, can you get DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket by itself, I don't think you can, but I could be wrong, maybe someone else can give you a better answer. (See disclaimer below)

3) Yes, you can get a DVR, but I think you need the phone line for initial setup, after that I don't think you need it, but once in awhile a nag screen will come up stating it hasn't ben able to dial in. (See disclaimer below)

4) No. But you can split the signal from one receiver to all 5 tvs (no mirror fee)

Or use 2 receivers, one split to 3 tvs(group 1), and one split to 2 tvs(group 2), then at least you can watch different channels on the different tv groups, in this scenario, you'd only have to pay one mirror fee).

Either way, remember, you'd split off the "Out to TV" line of the receiver, NOT the one from the dish).

Buy yourself a remote control relay so you can change channels anywhere in the house.

I have heard what some people do who don't have a phone line, is to bring the dvr to a buddies house with a land line, and initialize the setup from there, then bring it home.

*Disclaimer: Apologies for the vague answers, but I figure it's better than nothing, I recomend checking this thread for replies from more clueful people if my replies are too flakey.

Answer 4 is defiantly correct (sans illegal methods which are not allowed to be discussed here (and rightly so)).

Hope that helped.

Does anyone know where I would get a DirecTV DVR without Tivo. The only one's I see on their site have TIVO

the BRAND NEW r15 dvr does not have tivo.

phone connections are required for tivo.

for sports, they LIKE you to have a phone line, and if you have LOTS of boxes, may get suspicious if they don't call out, but you can beg your way out of that requirement.

and yes, the best way to get around the fee is to use splitters to show the same picture on 2+ tv's. if you do it yourself, no charge, if the installer does it it may be $40 or thereabouts per line.

Does anybody know where I can subscribe and get the r15 dvr ?

I don't think I see it on the DirecTV website.

ryane75 said:
Does anybody know where I can subscribe and get the r15 dvr ?

I don't think I see it on the DirecTV website.
It's not out yet. Look for it in the next month or two.

Does anybody know if it's possible to hook up the Tivo DVR via broadband ? I read somewhere that you could.

asousa said:
anyway to get rid of the nag screens?? Tell it not to try and dial out?

I would also like to know this. It is coming up everyday now. It is hooked to a phone line, but must not be working. I don't need it to dial out for anything and it is a real nuisance.

Thanks

damaged said:
1) You don't need a phone line after initial setup. (Tivos I think do need a phone line or at least an internet connection(if supported) I believe the DirecTV DVRS get their guide data over the satellite.). (See disclaimer below)

3) Yes, you can get a DVR, but I think you need the phone line for initial setup, after that I don't think you need it, but once in awhile a nag screen will come up stating it hasn't ben able to dial in. (See disclaimer below).

damaged----- Can you explain a bit more about the *internet connections (if supported) part of your answer?

I'm getting the nag screens also. I have Directv with Tivo and a directv R10 receiver.

I'll never order ppv, so don't need to dial in.

I can understand needing a phone line to set up (which is done) but afterwards?

Can a person get downloaded info that Directv wants to send (like the recent changes in the software) any other way than through a phone line?

Or could that be done on a case by case scenario?

I have DSL for my computer. Does that qualify as *connection*? (refer to your answer #1)

TIA

dobies

Well I kinda meant that in two ways, one is the pure (non directv specific) tivos themselves have the ability (through USB port I believe), but the directivos have the usb port disabled, I have read posts speaking of a way to unlock the D*Tivos USB port to make it work, the link is below (from google cache since the site it originated from seems dead, or too slow for my patience.

Disclaimer: This is for Series 2 directivos apparently, if you choose to try anything in the urls below (series 2 or not), do not hold me responsible for screwing up the unit if the 'hack' doesn't work out. :)

http://tinyurl.com/a9vtv
( if that tinyurl expires the full url is:
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:GR16qPNPsU4J:www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php+directv+tivo+usb+hack&hl=en )

Thanks, damaged.

That sounds like it would be above my capabilities. :)

I wonder what will happen if I just ignore the nag screens. Any downside to that?

dobies

dobies said:
Thanks, damaged.

That sounds like it would be above my capabilities. :)

I wonder what will happen if I just ignore the nag screens. Any downside to that?

dobies

dobies,
Did you try calling D* ?
When I set up mine, I told them that I only had a phone jk for 1 receiver and they set it up that way, I cannot order any PPV's for that unit, but I don't order them anyways.
I have never get a nag about calling in.
If I go to a PPV channel I just get a Please call ext. # , because thats the way it's set up.

Jimbo

Jimbo answered:

<<dobies,
Did you try calling D* ?
When I set up mine, I told them that I only had a phone jk for 1 receiver and they set it up that way, I cannot order any PPV's for that unit, but I don't order them anyways.
I have never get a nag about calling in.
If I go to a PPV channel I just get a Please call ext. # , because thats the way it's set up.>>

Yes, I called Dtv, several times. Sigh. Tell the truth, I got MUCH better and faster information through this site. :)

And I didn't have to sit through tons of canned ads, an interminal telephone tree that went on and on, but never to where I wanted.

I also didn't have to wait while the (nice) person read from his/her list of questions to ask me--- all of which I'd already done or didn't apply.

And this happened several times, since I couldn't be on my phone and test my phone at the same time. Duh!

They still hadn't told what I needed to know---- which you guys (gals?) did in a few short sentences----- when I decided to stop and go to this site.

What a great site! Thank you all. AND I could do other things while waiting for your replies instead of having my ear glued to the telephone.

O.K., enough of a rant! LOL

Thanks. I know where to come next time.

dobies

:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts