Direct TV plans for HD and DVR's?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jabroni

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Saw this at AVS forums.....gave me a glimmer of hope as heaven knows, I have been harassing Direct for months to step up to the plate.

D* Straight Answers

Got some straight forward answers on D* HD/ED. At least what they hope to do:

With the new sat in March (Service start April/May):

Starz HD (W/Starz sub) - By year end 2003.
Cinemax HD (W/Cinemax sub)
A&E HD (Basic HD Pack)
Bravo HD (Basic HD Pack)
Fox Sports HD (Basic HD)

Four (4) others: Sports Subscription/Special Events (Olympics/NFL ST/MLB/NHL)-PPV when not in use.

Addition of Fox Digital Sports East, West, Central in 480p (WS) - In conjunction with Baseball Season.

HD TiVo from Samsung and Hughes March 1. Samsung $899, Hughes $699 (Lower recording limits).

Other info:

1. Recent reports of picture quality improvements are a result of channel re-allocation and testing of new equipment.
2. As many as 160 local channels to be re-assigned when new sat goes up improving PQ substantially.
3. D* has more new equipment coming in (some being tested) that offers improved PQ using current compression methods.
4. Ref item 3 - Your STB has been updated to support new equipment at D*.

Got this from D* after ripping their ass on my SIR-T160 locking up after not being used for 4 months due to a move. It wouldn't do crap for me. Works fine now and my locals never looked so good. They were crap when I suspended service in August.

This is great news if this is true. 2004 should be quite a year for D* with ..... HDTivo.. several more HD channels.. (and me as a new sub!) ;)

jabroni said:
Starz HD (W/Starz sub) - By year end 2003.
Cinemax HD (W/Cinemax sub)
A&E HD (Basic HD Pack)
Bravo HD (Basic HD Pack)
Fox Sports HD (Basic HD)

Great news if true (and if I decide to stay with DirecTV), but last I heard, A&E squashed their plans to do a HD channel, and decided to do content for other channels. Have they changed their minds, or did the CSR not know what she was talking about?!

Enquiring minds want to know?!

~Alan

CSR was prolly just spouting off. However, if Direct doesn't do all of this, I am gonna get my HD content from VOOM ! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)