Direct TV Satellite Dish Mount Causing Roof Leak

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Thomas P

Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Southeastern U.S.
Hello, several days ago I noticed water seeping (not dripping) into the corner of my attic while it was raining.
The water is coming in directly under where Direct TV mounted their satellite dish 10 years ago. I ended my Direct TV service 2 years ago and had a handyman take down the dish but leave the footplate.

After it stopped raining, I got out my ladder and looked up on the roof where the dish is mounted. Much to my surprise, I noticed the footplate was screwed directly to the roof without any type of sealant or rubber water barrier.

Question: Would it be better to use a sealant over and around the footplate or remove the footplate and seal the holes under it?

Thanks in advance.

That's a tough one. Likely pulling the foot off will also pull shingles and tear them since it's been there so long. If I were in that situation I'd use roof patch to seal around the foot and all over the top of the lag bolts. Enough of it and the water will go elsewhere. When it comes time for a new roof (or any type of roof repair) pull that thing and have the shingles in that area replaced. You may want to try and screw the bolts in a little more before adding patch over them in case they loosened some. Good luck, perhaps some with more experience will have some thoughts too.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Thomas P!

If it was my roof, I'd remove the foot plate and replace the shingles that have holes in them. I don't know how handy you are, but it's a very simple job. You might want to put a patch over the holes in the sheathing. If you have any tar paper or better ice and water barrier I'd put some of that down first. Some caulking and a piece of flashing would do the trick, too.

Reactions: harshness
Hello, several days ago I noticed water seeping (not dripping) into the corner of my attic while it was raining.
The water is coming in directly under where Direct TV mounted their satellite dish 10 years ago. I ended my Direct TV service 2 years ago and had a handyman take down the dish but leave the footplate.

After it stopped raining, I got out my ladder and looked up on the roof where the dish is mounted. Much to my surprise, I noticed the footplate was screwed directly to the roof without any type of sealant or rubber water barrier.

Question: Would it be better to use a sealant over and around the footplate or remove the footplate and seal the holes under it?

Thanks in advance.
Either ...
If you remove it and seal it, your done with it.

If removing the foot plate will tear off shingles, then leave it on.

Either way, I would recommend Henry's roof sealant. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowe's or Amazon.

Henrys.png

Reactions: truedowneast
That's a tough one. Likely pulling the foot off will also pull shingles and tear them since it's been there so long. If I were in that situation I'd use roof patch to seal around the foot and all over the top of the lag bolts. Enough of it and the water will go elsewhere. When it comes time for a new roof (or any type of roof repair) pull that thing and have the shingles in that area replaced. You may want to try and screw the bolts in a little more before adding patch over them in case they loosened some. Good luck, perhaps some with more experience will have some thoughts too.

Many thanks jcrandall. It didn't occur to me that removing the foot might damage the shingles. I'm leaning toward leaving it on the house and sealing around and over it.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Thomas P!

If it was my roof, I'd remove the foot plate and replace the shingles that have holes in them. I don't know how handy you are, but it's a very simple job. You might want to put a patch over the holes in the sheathing. If you have any tar paper or better ice and water barrier I'd put some of that down first. Some caulking and a piece of flashing would do the trick, too.

Thanks raoul5788. I'm thinking about breaking down and paying a professional to replace the shingles in the late winter/early spring before the rainy season begins in April. I'm probably a bit below average in the being handy dept.
Hey, thanks for the kind welcome!

Reactions: raoul5788
Thanks raoul5788. I'm thinking about breaking down and paying a professional to replace the shingles in the late winter/early spring before the rainy season begins in April. I'm probably a bit below average in the being handy dept.
Hey, thanks for the kind welcome!
You're welcome, and please call me Chip!

Either ...
If you remove it and seal it, your done with it.
Thanks Jimbo. I'm debating whether to try removing the lag bolts and prying the footplate off the roof. If it resists being removed I guess I could leave it there and cover it with a good quality sealant.

Thanks Jimbo. I'm debating whether to try removing the lag bolts and prying the footplate off the roof. If it resists being removed I guess I could leave it there and cover it with a good quality sealant.
depending on the situation, you may not have to replace shingles at all, take the bolts out, remove the foot, look to see where the bolts go thru the shingles, lots of times you can get the shingle to come loose enough that you can get cement under the shingle.
Don't be afraid to use too much cement.

depending on the situation, you may not have to replace shingles at all, take the bolts out, remove the foot, look to see where the bolts go thru the shingles, lots of times you can get the shingle to come loose enough that you can get cement under the shingle.

Thanks again Jimbo, appreciate the experienced input. I'll give your suggestion a try. It's supposed to be sunny and mild on Sunday.

All of the wood is likely rotten under the shingle.

Pull the mast or shoe using a 7/16 or 1/2 socket or wrench.

Get some wet stick roofing cement and spread it over the are with a trowel or paint scraper.

Most installations do not leak or cause issues.

The issue I’m seeing especially on dishes installed 10-18 years ago is the mast bolts start pulling away from the roof. Some of them so bad the dish actually tips over

If you have a shingle with a hole in it, it should be replaced.

If you have a shingle with a hole in it, it should be replaced.
And where do you get matching shingles from say 10 years or more ago ?

Ceiling it with roof cement should work fine.

Also like Claude mentioned, check to see if the plywood below is rotting away while your up there.

And where do you get matching shingles from say 10 years or more ago ?

Ceiling it with roof cement should work fine.

Also like Claude mentioned, check to see if the plywood below is rotting away while your up there.
You should always keep a dozen or so shingles from the last roofing job for just such a situation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)