Direct TV Satellite Dish Mount Causing Roof Leak

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey, what happened to the link to PM/ conversation with some one ?
Don't see it anymore.

I know, wrong forum, but thought if I got a quick answer ... it wouldn't matter.

Hello, several days ago I noticed water seeping (not dripping) into the corner of my attic while it was raining.
The water is coming in directly under where Direct TV mounted their satellite dish 10 years ago. I ended my Direct TV service 2 years ago and had a handyman take down the dish but leave the footplate.

After it stopped raining, I got out my ladder and looked up on the roof where the dish is mounted. Much to my surprise, I noticed the footplate was screwed directly to the roof without any type of sealant or rubber water barrier.

Question: Would it be better to use a sealant over and around the footplate or remove the footplate and seal the holes under it?

Thanks in advance.
Wow, sounds bad, hard call, seen it, knew a guy in roofing that I used to send jobs to, because I saw so much, if I could, I always mounted to the side of the house, with special wall plates worst case saw a C-Band fall into the roof, after a storm, not my job, just was told about it, and went over to see it, that made for a new roof, insurance blamed the installer, who was out of business already

And where do you get matching shingles from say 10 years or more ago ?

Ceiling it with roof cement should work fine.

Also like Claude mentioned, check to see if the plywood below is rotting away while your up there.

What’s worse a mis colored shingle or a shingle with black tar covering it, or a shoe from a satellite dish.

Either way it looks bad.

The other alternative is lifting the shingle and putting the tar under the shingle and let it ooze out the hole.

What’s worse a mis colored shingle or a shingle with black tar covering it, or a shoe from a satellite dish.

Either way it looks bad.

The other alternative is lifting the shingle and putting the tar under the shingle and let it ooze out the hole.
As I mentioned, in a different way though.

Either way it looks bad.

That's not an alternative. If you aren't replacing the shingle, to do it right you have to put sealant on the shingle and the hole in the sheathing.

All of the wood is likely rotten under the shingle.

Pull the mast or shoe using a 7/16 or 1/2 socket or wrench.

Get some wet stick roofing cement and spread it over the are with a trowel or paint scraper.

Most installations do not leak or cause issues.

The issue I’m seeing especially on dishes installed 10-18 years ago is the mast bolts start pulling away from the roof. Some of them so bad the dish actually tips over

Thanks Claude. I've been examining the underside in the attic and it appears to be pretty solid. The condition of the wood facing the shingles does have me a little worried.
I got some Henry's Wet Patch 209 XR according to N6BY's recommendation. I hear it's good stuff.
From what I gather it's out of the ordinary for an installation technician to mount the dish without any type of rubberized tape or sealant under the footplate which they did in my case.

If you have a shingle with a hole in it, it should be replaced.

Thanks Chip. I'm gonna have a professional roofer replace the shingles next spring. Hoping some Henry's 209 XR gets me through the winter without any more problems. Christmas has got me a bit strapped or I'd call a roofer tomorrow.

Wow, sounds bad, hard call, seen it, knew a guy in roofing that I used to send jobs to, because I saw so much, if I could, I always mounted to the side of the house, with special wall plates worst case saw a C-Band fall into the roof, after a storm, not my job, just was told about it, and went over to see it, that made for a new roof, insurance blamed the installer, who was out of business already

Thanks Garyd. Makes me wish I'd gotten up there after the installation tech left and examined/fixed his work. Hindsight's always 20/20 though. I'm planning to remove the footplate tomorrow and seal the holes in the shingles with sealant. Not sure how to seal the sheathing underneath without removing shingles though. The sheathing is horizontally mounted 1" x 12" pine boards and they still seem pretty solid. At least from the underside. I might have to go ahead and hire a roofer now.

Thanks Chip. I'm gonna have a professional roofer replace the shingles next spring. Hoping some Henry's 209 XR gets me through the winter without any more problems. Christmas has got me a bit strapped or I'd call a roofer tomorrow.
I think that's a good way to handle it.

Wow, pretty cold for a high. We average around 35-40 at night and 55-60 daytime in the winter which is okay. Pay for it in the summer though with 100 degree days and high humidity.
Starting a cold snap, we will probably go about 7 days without getting above 32*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts