Direct TV vs. Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jvstrat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2004
I just signed on with Dish after having Comcast Digital Cable. I really don't think the picture quality is even close to my digital cable. The locals are really crappy and even the premium channels i can see pixelling. I have a 6 month old 32 inch Toshiba that has exellent picture quality with dvds and digital cable. I am even using s-video and getting lousy picture. Dish sent out a service tech that checked the signal and changed some connections which didn't help. Dish sent a new dvr 522 and that didn't change anything. I'm looking for opinions from those of you that have both services as far as which one has better picture? My friend just got direct tv and he seems happy with the picture so far, but could use more opinions. I don't have a contract with dish so I could just have dtv take down the old dish when they put the new one up. Thanks.

DirecTV should be comparable to Dish's PQ. This was indicated in a poll I ran on the subject not too long ago. locals are a different story. they will look different from provider to provider to DMA to DMA. If you not happy with Dish.. which is no surprise then cancel it and give DirecTV. one thing for sure it you will get a much better DVR than Dish offers. make the switch.

I ran into the same problem you did.

Having been a D* customer since 1995 and moving to an area only serviced by E*, I thought it shouldn't be too dissimiliar.

Boy was I wrong. I too got te 522 (to replace my TiVo) and was sorely disappointed with the PQ on locals and the premium movie channels even had severe problems.

This was, however, when they were requiring the DHP customers to sign a 12 month contract. I eventually got out of the contract and was able to move back to D*. I am quite happy and find the PQ much better.

Casey

IMHO, there is a big difference in PQ. DISH's is washed out.. faded. DirecTV is much sharper and the colors are vibrant.

Longtime DISH sub agrees 100%

HarryD said:
IMHO, there is a big difference in PQ. DISH's is washed out.. faded. DirecTV is much sharper and the colors are vibrant.

I'll second that and up until 3 weeks ago, I was with DISH for 6 years so my opinion is objective.

I had the DISH 921 for about 3 months and became furious with them over the crummy SW and the lie about the firewire so I thoght about dtiching DISH to go to DIRECTV and get the HD TIVO.

I had heard on many internet sites that the PQ on D* was inferior to E* so I was a bit leery of making the switch after being with DISH for 6 years so I came up with a plan.

My plan was to Sell the 921, get the Directv HD TIVO and just subsrcibe to D*'s HD offerings and using my DISH SD receiver, stick with DISH for the SD channels.

Three weeks ago, I did get my HD TIVO,signed up for the HD pack+Showtime from D* and I was MORE than pleasantly suprised. The Directv picture quality is much better than Echostar's.

The plan got changed slightly.I cancelled my entire account with DISH:)

It is not just because of the high end receiver's either.
With both services, I have/had a base model hooked to a bedroom TV. With DISH, I have had several obviously over time and with Directv, I just have the basic one I got with the dish installation.

I think my story tells a very valid and unbiased A/B comparison.

I guess it all depends.. I recently switched from E* to D* and left an overlap to compare, and the E* was clearly better. Four people including the D* installer agreed looking at the same material from both services. I am disappointed but have bought a D* HDTV so I will stay with them.. but cut back on programming as I also try Voom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)