Direct wants to replace my HV 20 with an HV 21!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
What can I do? My HV 20 is having audio problems an they say it needs to be swapped out. They said that the HV21 doesn't have a tuner, but I can get one for $50. Well, heck, why should I have to pay for a tuner when my old one had one? Is there anyway I can get them to pay for the tuner? In case you are wondering, yes, I do get HD locals from Direct, but there have been times when there were problems with the signal, so I went to antenna, plus, the only way I can get CW in HD is with my antenna.

How is your HR20's audio connected and to what (TV or A/V unit)?

If you have a TV with ATSC you will not need the DirecTV external tuner.

The HR 20 is connected to my reciever via optical connector. Both the optical and coax outputs are not working (I confirmed this), so now I have to listen with a stereo rca cable hooked up between the two (no dolby, of course).
My tv doesn't have an hd tuner built in, but even if it did, I wouldn't be able to record anything off the antenna. I mean, I have an old hd tuner in the garage, but I don't want to bring that clunky thing in, have more crap wired up and have to be glued to the catch to catch "Supernatural".

What can I do? My HV 20 is having audio problems an they say it needs to be swapped out. They said that the HV21 doesn't have a tuner, but I can get one for $50. Well, heck, why should I have to pay for a tuner when my old one had one? Is there anyway I can get them to pay for the tuner? In case you are wondering, yes, I do get HD locals from Direct, but there have been times when there were problems with the signal, so I went to antenna, plus, the only way I can get CW in HD is with my antenna.

No you should NOT have to pay for the tuner, they should give you a HR20 ...

Call them back and see what they say this time.
They are the ones that did away with the tuner on the units, make them fix it.
Tell them that you use your OTA antenna and they need to set up the way you were.

If they ever try that with me, I will consider canceling.
They are the ones that need to replace like for like, at least thats what was presumed was going to happen when theyn had issues , thats why all the refurbed units are there.

Jimbo

Ok, last night, on its own, the digital output on my HR20-100 came back to life and started working! Must be some software deal.
Fedex dropped off a new (or refurbed) reciever today. It is a HR20-700.
Should I keep the 700, or call up Direct and tell them that my 100 is working again? Which one has a better ota tuner?

Ok, last night, on its own, the digital output on my HR20-100 came back to life and started working! Must be some software deal.
Fedex dropped off a new (or refurbed) reciever today. It is a HR20-700.
Should I keep the 700, or call up Direct and tell them that my 100 is working again? Which one has a better ota tuner?

Looks like you have your option,
BOTH the -100 and the 700 are very good units.
If you use RF, the -700 has an INTERNAL RF antenna , I think the -100 has an external, may not be a big deal to you or not.
IF you have any desire to add a second HD DVR, here's your chance, it' only cost you $5.00 p/m unless your swapping out with another rec., then it's even up.
There are other minor differences listed in the forums if you want to look at them.

IF you do decide to keep both of them, make sure you call D* otherwise they are expecting the -100 to be returned.

How much will you loose on your -100 as far as recorded programming, something else to keep in mind.

See there, as it turned out, you were NOT forced to go with a HR21 ...
Good work D*, I hope they continue to replace like for like :)

Jimbo

I don't really need an extra dvr. I do have my old Tivo 10-250 in the bedroom, but I hardly ever watch it and the last thing i want is to get stuck with another "lease fee" for a PVR (I own the Tivo).
I have done my best to search for differences between the 100 and the 700 on this forum and the 'net. All I have come up with is that some say the 100 runs cooler, it has better RF remote, it has a coax digital output, 20 g bigger hd.
Outside of the rf remote, it appears that the 100 has more to offer. Is there anything else that the 700 offers that the 100 doesn't, or anything that it can do better? Otherwise, objectively, the 100 appears to be the superior PVR.

FWIW, my 100's OTA tuner seems to be a little less finicky, pulling in some stations that the 700 in the other room won't.

Similar cable lengths to the same diplexer model to the same antenna, too

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts