DirectTV remote

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Milo32940

Original poster
Aug 2, 2013
United States
I had DirectTV installed today with the Genie 44. Love it so far but hate the remotes that came with it. The installer said that I had no choice. Is that true. I don't need RF since I have clear sight to all of my components. Can I use another remote? Which one? Will a different remote cause abt problems with operation?

Any of the Directv remotes will work with the HR44. Only the one that comes with it will do RF.

You can just go to Bestbuy and buy a classic DirecTV remote from there and it will work just fine.

I was unaware that the HR44 remotes were different. Is it the RC71? Is there even volume on that thing?!

Edit: I see the "volume" and "channel" buttons. That would get annoying. Good to know that the classic Directv remotes will work with the HR44.

I was unaware that the HR44 remotes were different. Is it the RC71? Is there even volume on that thing?!

Edit: I see the "volume" and "channel" buttons. That would get annoying. Good to know that the classic Directv remotes will work with the HR44.

Yes the RC71 comes with the 44, and yes you can use RC65s if you can get them, but you need to program the old remotes manually to your tv, the boxes will not be able to do it. The 44 and 41s will opperate in both RF and IR at the same time, so you can technically use both remotes at the same time. Walmart also sells the RC65 remote for 20bucks.

on a side note, the 71 has a quicker response time when in RF mode, and I think that most customers get used to them quickly. I love the 71s myself. Just dont like having to wait for the clients to program them, takes too long IMO.

I have never had an issue with my remotes. It's the stupid HR34 that crashes all the time and is slooooooooooooooooooow. I really wish I had just gotten a second AM21 for the other TV and kept my HR24/H25 combo sometimes!

Yes the RC71 comes with the 44, and yes you can use RC65s if you can get them, but you need to program the old remotes manually to your tv, the boxes will not be able to do it. The 44 and 41s will operate in both RF and IR at the same time, so you can technically use both remotes at the same time.

What do you have to do to get the RC71 and the RC65 to work simultaneously on the 44? I didn't think you can do that.

Actually the toggle for volume and channel are the best thing about the remote. I was hesitant at first but I'm a believer now. My biggest issue with the new remote is that the guide and record buttons should be swapped. Can't tell you how many times I started a recording accidentally from trying to view the guide.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Forgot to mention one other thing I dislike about the remote, it doesn't have dedicated PIP buttons. Turning on PIP and changing channels is done through the onscreen menu which is slow and tedious.

To clarify, the HR44 will work with ANY DirecTV remote in IR mode. It will only work with the RC71 in RF mode (and can also be IR).

HR44 is the only DirecTV receiver that will work with RF and IR at the same time, so you can use either remote freely.

Forgot to mention one other thing I dislike about the remote, it doesn't have dedicated PIP buttons. Turning on PIP and changing channels is done through the onscreen menu which is slow and tedious.

The other one doesn't have a PIP button either. (At least neither of mine do and I have never seen one that does.)

To clarify, the HR44 will work with ANY DirecTV remote in IR mode. It will only work with the RC71 in RF mode (and can also be IR).

HR44 is the only DirecTV receiver that will work with RF and IR at the same time, so you can use either remote freely.

In order for the HR44 to work in IR you have to configure it to IR. Are you saying that the receiver will still function with the RC71 (in RF) even though the receiver is now configured to IR.

Well, I tried to configure the HR44 to use the RC71 and RC65 remotes simultaneously and you cannot do it. Did any of you guys that claim you can do it actually have an HR44 and tried it?

You can use either one, RF (RC71) or IR (RC65) remote but not both simultaneously. Once you configure the receiver for IR the RF remote stops working and vice versa!

Yes, but the RC65 or lower will only work in IR. The only remote that will work on the HR44 in RF is the RC71. They changed the RF standards.

Letting the IR work at the same time is a nice change. I have a slingbox on my HR44 and can still use the RF remote and be able to use the slingbox with its IR blaster.

If the hr44 is like other two directv receivers that accept both RF & IR at the same time,( the R15/R16 & the THR22 Dtivo), if you turn on the RF through the menu its RF only. You have to leave it in IR mode, just put the remote into RF mode, than it accepts both RF & IR. I do not have hr44 either.

Again, HR44 does support IR and RF at the same time, and has since it's release, and I just tested it again with both my RC71 RF remote and a RC64 IR remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)