DIRECTV: 100 HDTV Channels In 2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
Competitor (no 's'/no plural) There is currently only 1 DBS competitor; the only true national market and business model comparison.

OK; So what new birds does Echostar have going up? What are their payloads? What are their orbital assignments? What additional features or channels will those launches provide? Please post some of that competitor rebuttal you eluded to. We would all like to read and compare it versus what we all already know about DirecTV for the last year or so and their 4 sat system to be completed in 2007.

charper - don't waste your breath with this fool.

In response to what new sats E* will be launching in ALL of 2007, its ONLY E11, and as you have correctly stated its a backup bird (as is DIRECTV9S). They also have said that their path to providing HD lils is to PUSH OTA. You can only gather that they are strapped for bandwidth (as D* is TODAY). The game changes upon the successful launch and turn-on of DIRECTV10.

Obviously, D* has have been working hard while waiting for BOEING to complete the building of the new birds. They have been negotiating with (in their own words) over 70 cable channels (HD nationals) and what this tells me is that immediately upon hand-over from BOEING whatever is available in HD will be lit, and that as the other channels introduce HD versions, they will immediately be lit.

I don't need to compare constantly with the other providers really, I'm past that. I stuck with D* because of its superior sports packages - and I also accept others opinions that feel that the other guy(s) are better. Who cares. I just don't understand this whiny guy that pays D* but always says it sucks. Sounds like he is pissing his money away IMO. It's ok to like the other side and brag about it, but why pay the one you hate?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
LOL, how on earth can you conclude directv will be the hd leader without seeing what its competitors do by then? You don't have to announce your plans 6+ months in advance. Don't expect directv's competitors to just sit on their hands, even if they do deliver on their promises. I seriously doubt most of the national hd networks are going to be launching only on directv.

Talk about rampant directv fanboyism.
good point

gaspasser

Aug 9, 2004
I think that D* is thinking about buying Voom also according to the latest info here in Denver. John Malone will be a MAJOR player in advancing D*

Jax Tom

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 19, 2005
As someone stuck in Mpeg2 land for a while...... I assume all this is Mpeg4?

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006
charper - don't waste your breath with this fool.

Reported for personal attack.

As far as being a fool, I hardly see how anyone can be a fool when they offer an argument based on sound reasoning and facts.

Pakbackr

SatelliteGuys Pro
So, I am trying to piece all this together; knowledgable folks feel free to affirm. Sounds like E* is the current HD leader, based purely on quantity of channels and HD content (we will not debate quality), but their bandwidth is maxed out and they can't add many more HD channels (if any) until they get more birds in the sky. And D*, while currently behind in the HD programming war, has been launching birds and has a plan to expand its HD bandwidth to add more programming. True, so far?

If so, does E* have any immediate plans to launch more birds?

I have been seriously thinking of making the switch from D* to E*, but with recent announcements, I am now leaning toward staying. Feedback appreciated!

TulsaCoker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 15, 2006
Tulsa, Ok
I don't know about that specific market, but I haven't heard of hd lite being pervasive with cox cable around the country.

The simple fact is as far as hd offerings, directv has been playing catchup with major cable companies and broadband services for the past many months. The launch of local hd channels should not be overlooked, in many markets the same local hd channels had been up for quite a while before directv launched them including rsns in hd (broadcasted in wider ranges than directvs), including affiliates like upn, pbs etc that directv still doesn't offer in most places. But also these services already offered hd dvrs that could record ALL programming for a long time before the hr20 came out, usually national hd packages that at least matched if not often exceeded directvs, as well as hd lite not being as a common of an issue.

I agree it's very maket specific. however, as I siad how many post did you see of people excited on getting ESPN2 a few months ago or still don;t have TNT. Name how many National channels cable co. have that D* does not. And I'm sorry but A&E does not count.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
This would be good for me to make a decision by October since my contract runs out then.

lou_do

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2005
Central Maine
I have been seriously thinking of making the switch from D* to E*, but with recent announcements, I am now leaning toward staying. Feedback appreciated!

Sure, why not stick it out with the rest of us, that have been waiting since the original D* announcement, a few years ago. It looks like they are right on schedule per their original press release. That is as long as there are not any problems with the upcoming launches.

I know that a lot of people are upset that it has taken so long to add more HD, but sometimes good things take time.

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
I agree it's very maket specific. however, as I siad how many post did you see of people excited on getting ESPN2 a few months ago or still don;t have TNT. Name how many National channels cable co. have that D* does not. And I'm sorry but A&E does not count.

Don't waste your breath. He talks in non-specific terms - when you ask for something specific you won't get it. For example, here in the NYC area, TWC has fewer HD offerings, and CABLEVISION has just about the same number as D*. With out a doubt, on a nationwide basis, as of TODAY, ONLY DISH has a significant advantage of HD channels being offered (in quantity). It's the quality of those channels that could be of debate. VOOM has NEVER had anything other than a niche market (thats why NO other provider has even picked it up, even though Rainbow Media would gladly sell the programming to ANYONE).

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
WOWSERS BATMAN! 70 channels of bitstarved HDlite!!!! I better go change my diaper.

This comment puts you in the troll class, since no one knows for sure what the new hd channels will look like. In fact, the SMART people think that they will not be hd lite, since there will be plenty of bandwidth and they will be mpeg4.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Wonder what they will do for those of use that still don't have Mpeg-4 equipment

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006

ESPN2 was an exception in many places, but while that is an important channel for many, many cable companies still offer more and a better variety of hd channels than directv if you look at the entire lineups. I am not sure what scobuck is talking about, but if you look at everything from local networks, to movie channels, to rsns, I don't see how directv is equal to many major cable companies like comcast or cox. Just check their websites.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006

And you are the only one who can not debate directv issues with any level of maturity and non-hostility.

I have no problem with charper, I think he is wrong in many ways about directv's hd offerings but at least he doesn't fly off the handle everytime someone disagrees.

And again, I am not banned from any forum so quit spreading lies. You have been warned far more often for inflammatory posts and behavior on forums than I have.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)