Directv 16 Launch Schedule

A $14 savings per customer per month times about 20 million customers is $280 million per month or 3.36 billion dollar savings per year. That doesn't sound like chicken feed to me.

They got zero Time Warner content from buying Directv for $50 BILLION. They got that content from buying Time Warner at an even higher price.

One of their stated goals from buying Directv was to get better contracts with networks, but the savings they claimed ($14/month per customer) are chickenfeed in comparison to the price. They need years of Directv's profit to justify it.

They could have created a streaming TV product and gave it away for free for years to build a customer base if that was their end goal, and spent a lot less than $50 billion.

A $14 savings per customer per month times about 20 million customers is $280 million per month or 3.36 billion dollar savings per year. That doesn't sound like chicken feed to me.

The $14 savings is only on AT&T Uverse customers, so that would add up to $1 billion a year - and only be fully realized after all contracts had been renegotiated, which they only do when they expire, so they haven't fully realized that savings even today. Going from 20 to 26 million total probably gives a little benefit to the pricing on the satellite customers, but law of diminishing returns and all that so it wouldn't be nearly as much.

And those 20 million additional subscribers only give them scale if they keep them. There will be a difference in how many keep if you give subscribers a choice between IP and satellite, increasing their options to choose Directv over what they have today, versus forcing all the satellite subscribers to switch whether they like or not (or have broadband capable of it)

Reactions: harshness
All the more reason for them to have sold it before launch, for modification. Or to plan to use it for many years. Maybe it would be useful for non time sensitive Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I guess you know more than the people who designed and purchased it then waited too long to be able to back out of the purchase.

Not!

All the more reason for them to have sold it before launch, for modification. Or to plan to use it for many years. Maybe it would be useful for non time sensitive Internet.

If you check post #39 in this thread below from January 26, 2018, this was the day I called a person on the T16 and T17 project to get the bottom line on their launch status and on that day I was told the reason T16 is launching is because it was too late in the project to cancel. That's the bottom line. Anything else is BS. Please stop posting made up BS.

Link to thread:
directv 16

Hostility degrades credibility.

I can say that Inclined Orbit is in a position to know some inside information. Let's not get into a back and forth here.

Reactions: NashGuy
There might be a time where it is too late to back out on BUILDING a satellite, but it is never too late to back out on launching it. And it would be stupidity of the highest order to launch a satellite you don't need at all versus selling it to someone who does. Even if you only got back half of what you paid for it you that's a tidy 9 figure sum, and you save on unnecessary launch costs as well.

Reactions: navychop and comp9
So, now that were some 90 posts of debating in on this thread ...

Do we actually have any word on when this Sat will actually launch ?
Any current info ?

So, now that were some 90 posts of debating in on this thread ...

Do we actually have any word on when this Sat will actually launch ?
Any current info ?

61 days from today - May 10

May 10 - DirecTV 16, Eutelsat 7C - Ariane 5 ECA (VA248) - Kourou ELA-3

And, an equatorial launch site so it will need minimal time to arrive on station.

Reactions: Jimbo
I wonder if AT&T has something planned we don’t know about.

Can this bird work with Internet delivery?

I wonder if AT&T has something planned we don’t know about.

Can this bird work with Internet delivery?

The application is for KA and 17/24 BSS (reverse band) service at 103w for ConusAlaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.

It has a DBS ku payload for same coverage but not licensed for 103w so will be inactive.

So just another TV satellite.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:
From my source not in the uplink area but in the marketing area is in 5 Years they WILL START to move customers off of sat by offering great deals to move to the streaming service, they will also stop using the old SAT and focus on the ones around the 101 slot with some channel going away if capacity is an issue.
It is NOT to shut down in 5 years, but to just start the migration the transition could take 15 years which matches the life of the newest sats.
Think about it folks, ATT and Directv do not move that fast, to be shut down in 5 years they would need to be moving Millions off right now and do it every month.
This is a 20 year plan.

Reactions: navychop
From my source not in the uplink area but in the marketing area is in 5 Years they WILL START to move customers off of sat by offering great deals to move to the streaming service, they will also stop using the old SAT and focus on the ones around the 101 slot with some channel going away if capacity is an issue.
It is NOT to shut down in 5 years, but to just start the migration the transition could take 15 years which matches the life of the newest sats.
Think about it folks, ATT and Directv do not move that fast, to be shut down in 5 years they would need to be moving Millions off right now and do it every month.
This is a 20 year plan.

On the one hand, yes, the idea that AT&T would shut down satellite TV service in 5 years is hard to believe. (Could they have a large majority of their subs moved from sat to OTT in 5 years and then spin off or sell the sat business, yes, that seems plausible, although I'm not saying it's probable.) But on the other hand, the idea that AT&T won't even *begin* to try shifting the bulk of their subs off of sat over to OTT until 5 years from now also sounds unlikely. I'm not questioning that that's what your marketing source is telling you. Perhaps their plans have shifted. But that sounds far less aggressive than everything that AT&T has publicly stated or leaked since taking over DTV a few years back.

As for a 20-year migration plan, I still firmly believe that DBS-based commercial video distribution (e.g. DTV, Dish) will be nothing but a memory by 2039. The entire video entertainment business landscape will have changed so much by then (providers/apps/channels, etc.), and the availability of high-speed broadband will be so widespread across the nation, that the entire business rationale for DBS will have collapsed several years before then.

Directv doesn't have any incentive to move people off satellite. It doesn't save them any money once customers are installed, and could cost them money if they price the 'Directv via IP' product lower (though based on the packages shown as being available for Directv Now, it looks like the pricing will be the same modulo no "advanced receiver fee" since there's no Genie)

What I think they will do, quite quickly after the Directv via IP product is available, is to preferentially sell that new customers because of the savings in install costs that Directv would normally eat. They might even start charging for new installs of satellite as a way to further incent people to go with the cheaper-to-install product.