Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV and Cyberlink have prepared a new version of DirecTV2PC that shifts the majority of processing to the video processor instead of the CPU. For computers with high-end graphics, this should work good and be very desirable. For older computers with lower-end graphics, the other beta version is still available.

For the standard beta, which primarily uses CPU processing, visit this site:
DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC (Version 4526)

For the new beta that shifts processing to the video card, download this from Satelliteguys:
DirecTV 2 PC v. 5102 Beta (33mb)
Hardware Advisor Program (To see if your system can handle DirecTV2PC GPU Test Pre-Beta Version.) (3mb)

Even with the beta, you will need a serial number. If you do not have one, you will need to complete the entire download process for the beta version hosted at directv's site, the s/n is emailed after the download is finished.
To get a serial number, visit: DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

Remember this is a beta software, DO NOT call or email customer support for help. Post any issues here, we'll try to help, and DirecTV will get your feedback.

-----

New features
  • Video Acceleration when available
  • Support for Friendly Names
  • Offer "Retry" when content cannot be played due to HDCP support issue
  • Change activation key: when receiving "incorrect activation key"
  • New EULA (please read)
  • Prevent screen capture of D2PC app
  • Ability to connect to update server
  • Support for Windows 7 Activation

Improved/Updated
  • Trick Play
  • video / audio mismatch in FF mode
  • Lip sync issues
  • Server lookup/connection consistency
  • Parental: when no PIN, default setting is unlocked
  • Edge sharpness during playback in full screen
  • ATSC playback audio
  • Video lockup when changing audio/video several times
  • parental controls
  • refined "Download now" behavior
  • Closed Captioning
  • Improved playback when USB device in use
  • "Showcase" tab is now "Top Movies"
  • Improved video on stations with crawl

DirecTV has decided to make this beta available to anyone with an HR2x receiver that is networked. Enjoy.

I can't get any serials to coem to my email box. What gives?

I'm having the same problem, unable to get a serial number. I went throught the complete download with two new email address that have never been used. They open it up to everyone but still refuse to give out serial numbers. Another dumb management move.

For the serial number, make sure you completely finish the download of the original beta version from the directv site. The email doesn't generate until after the download is 100% done. You may want to trya couple emails. Also, check your junk folder, the email comes from Cyberlink.

DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

There have been times where the emails were generated a few days later in the past.

For the serial number, make sure you completely finish the download of the original beta version from the directv site. The email doesn't generate until after the download is 100% done. You may want to trya couple emails. Also, check your junk folder, the email comes from Cyberlink.

DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

There have been times where the emails were generated a few days later in the past.

I have cyberlink powerdvd 7 and powerdvd ultra. Cyberlink emails don't come in my junk mail... Which is what also annoys me about this :mad:

If we have an earlier version, 5020, installed can we do an in place upgrade or do we need to completely un-install the old version then install this new one?

Hummm, strange situation. I tried to install the latest version on my new system and first off it insisted that UAC be on to be able to do the install. Finally managed to roll back to my old 5020 but was once again running into the problem where nothing that was HD would play. Turns out the new 9.3 AMD drivers install the newest AMD drivers install a driver for HDMI Audio and since I'm not using an HDMI monitor right now the box wouldn't respond. once I disabled that in Device manager everything worked again. Am going to experiment some more with my x32 boot of vista and see if I can get the new version to work on it with the old drivers

Well I've sort of sorted things out. I went and disabled the AMD HDMI audio driver and was able to play HD shows using 5020. Then I went ahead and ran the 5102 version install and this time it said it wanted to remove the old 5020 version so I let it. This time 5120 installed fine with UAC disabled and its working just fine so far. Now the next step is to re-enable the HDMI driver to see if now that things are functioning if it still needs to be disabled.

works ok for me

I have a brand new video card (ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2). When updating to this beta version (from the latest) CPU usage dropped from 10% avg down to ~4% now on 1 core and GPU usage increased only slightly (10% up to 11%). Though i do have a new high-end machine (Intel i7, MSI X58 mobo). Haven't been using it more than an hour so far, but it works well for me. Clicking around the various menus is faster, when i hit play it seems to take a little bit longer (maybe 10 seconds) for the content to start playing. Network usage is the same (~2MB/s or ~16Mbit/s)

Similar system here using a 4870x2, Asus x58 board and an I7 965 EE.

Sometimes getting the app installed right and working takes some playing about but once its working its nice. Its handy for playing back the news while I'm web-surfing.

Features that would make it much more useful tho are:

1. The ability to watch live TV
2. The ability to copy shows recorded to my HD or DVD so I could clear my DVR storage space.

In this version and the last version I had, I keep getting "DIRECTV2PC cannot connect to the receiver. The protected content cannot be played back at this time." when I try to play a recorded show. Everything else seems to work fine... except the most importing part. I see all my recorded shows and show descriptions.

Thanks.

What kind of vid card do you have? I was having some issues where I wasnt able to play any HD recordings with my ATI card, which the the latest vid drivers installed a HDMI Audio driver for. I went into device manager and disabled it then went to the app and suddenly all shows would play. Once I was able to play them I then went back and re-enabled the HDMI driver and everything still worked.

I just installed this. It works great, especially for HD shows. The video played perfectly, with no stuttering or hiccups.

D* just needs to allow remote viewing from outside your network and watching live TV would be great.

I just bought a Slingbox Solo and if D* added these features, I would have no use for the solo.

I would love to have download capability. I don't buy this copyright problems stuff, the TiVo S3/HD can download hd movies to a PC witouth major restrictions. If the program is copy protected, fine but most programs are not. Live stream requires a lot of network speed or low bitrates.

DirecTV sent us this list of quick buttons for DirecTV2PC:

Enter Select

ESC Back

Tab Switch Playlist/Showcases

F8 Mute Sound

F9 Decrease Volume

F10 Increase Volume

F11 Windowed/Full Screen

CTRL-M Menu

CTRL-P Pause/Play

CTRL-R Rewind

CTRL-S Stop

CTRL-F Fast Forward

CTRL-K 30 Second Skip

CTRL-I Quick Rewind

Mouse Scroll Scroll the Playlist

I would love to have download capability. I don't buy this copyright problems stuff, the TiVo S3/HD can download hd movies to a PC witouth major restrictions.

Tivo doesn't have to sign contracts with each individual station/company.

DirecTV does. Perhaps a better word than copyright is content restriction. The content owners restrict what DirecTV can do with the content in the contracts. It's why some stations have VOD and some don't. It's why some stations are HD, and some aren't. I do believe, that if DirecTV did download capability from the hard drive, like Tivo, they would have difficulty in arranging future contracts, and may be violating existing ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts