Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I see that Best Buy is offering a $300 discount on a new television if you sign up for Directv.

Has anyone done this and if so what are the requirements?

For example, what if I got in on this deal, took the discount for the Tv and then for some reason there was NLOS to get Directv? Is there any provision for Best Buy to take back their discount given to me on the Television?

Or if I got the service installed for 1 day and cancelled it?

Funny you should ask this. This deal has been there for months, at both BB and CC.

Two days before Thanksgiving I walked into a CC next to my work after I got off, the store was empty and the manager walked me up and down the flat panel lane. He convinced me to buy a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma, on sale for $2399, and he would give me a "10% walk-in discount" and if I ordered DirecTV I would get another $300 off the TV, and also I could get 24-month no interest and he would personally write down a 90-day price match.

So I took the deal, the TV with $2799 MSRP ended up at $1860, I have yet been able to find a lower price today while my 90-day is soon to expire:)

Later I discussed additional receivers with DirecTV to add on the order, I was told I had to cancel and re-order. I called that manager asked if I could return the TV cuz DirecTV wanted me to cancel the order and place a new order. He said if you canceled DirecTV then could not return the TV anymore, only exchange. The sale was however final, no price change.

I did not want to return the TV at all, just I thought if I canceled D* I broke the contract so I would not deserve the price break on the TV, apparently they did not care, just wanted to make a sale.

I hope that answered your question, your mileage may vary with BB though.

And do so at your own risk:)

You might read this thread from another forum, people have been using this discount and canceling the D* service before it gets installed. :)

Up to $700 OFF any hdtv over $999- BB ymmv - SlickDeals.net Forums

I did not quite understand the $700 off claim. Now you go find a TV/free Blueray combo for $300 off with DirecTV, then sell the Blueray for $400? Does not sound like a straight $700 off to me at all.

Who will buy an HDDVD player for $400 these days, BR or not?

The deal has been going on since Nov 2007, I was pointing it out to give more info on some peoples success getting the discount without keeping d*. Thx

The deal has been going on since Nov 2007, I was pointing it out to give more info on some peoples success getting the discount without keeping d*. Thx

Thanks for the link, unfortunately I missed out on the $200 Panny install rebate thing. My purchase was off just by 10 days.

I see it was saying you can buy a whole bunch of things to get up to $700 off on the TV, then return everything like D*, Bluray, HT and cancel install, except keeping the TV and still keep the TV price. You would need thick skin for that but hey more power to the consumer if that can be done.

Funny you should ask this. This deal has been there for months, at both BB and CC.

Two days before Thanksgiving I walked into a CC next to my work after I got off, the store was empty and the manager walked me up and down the flat panel lane. He convinced me to buy a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma, on sale for $2399, and he would give me a "10% walk-in discount" and if I ordered DirecTV I would get another $300 off the TV, and also I could get 24-month no interest and he would personally write down a 90-day price match.

So I took the deal, the TV with $2799 MSRP ended up at $1860, I have yet been able to find a lower price today while my 90-day is soon to expire:)

Later I discussed additional receivers with DirecTV to add on the order, I was told I had to cancel and re-order. I called that manager asked if I could return the TV cuz DirecTV wanted me to cancel the order and place a new order. He said if you canceled DirecTV then could not return the TV anymore, only exchange. The sale was however final, no price change.

I did not want to return the TV at all, just I thought if I canceled D* I broke the contract so I would not deserve the price break on the TV, apparently they did not care, just wanted to make a sale.

I hope that answered your question, your mileage may vary with BB though.

And do so at your own risk:)

When you did this deal at CC, what receiver did you get? Did you have to pay for the DTV equipment?

I still have some time to do this on my recent purchase, but I want to get more info on the DTV transaction. Thanks.

When you did this deal at CC, what receiver did you get? Did you have to pay for the DTV equipment?

I still have some time to do this on my recent purchase, but I want to get more info on the DTV transaction. Thanks.

I had to use my credit card to pay D* directly for the receiver (HR21) right in the CC store, they had a special on-screen menu for such purpose.

After I cancelled the D* order two days later the charge was credited back by D*.

With BB, apparently the sale rep will simply dial the D* number and hand you the phone let you talk to D*. You can just cut off the phone not order at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)