DIRECTV 3D at CES

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You all are so fickle!

Do you all recall when HDTV first hit the tube at a trade show? Yes it was HDTV analog on the CRT tube back in 1986. However it didn't become a reality for consumers until late 90's over 12 years later and then it was early adopter for another 5-6 years. So stop with all your pissing and moaning because the industry is experimenting with 3D. By the time it does become a commercially accepted product, you may just be buying a Holodeck a la Star Trek in 2025. None of these 3D technologies we will see demoed at CES will be ubiquitous next month. In fact, this is the 3rd year 3D has been displayed by several manufacturers and until this year none of you even cared. Why are you so paranoid about 3D this year? Because the press is talking about it for a change? Or, because there doesn't seem to be anything else of interest?
Oh and lastly, just because there are new technologies in development and maybe one channelk showing a movie on PPV, doesn't make your new K-mart special HDTV obsolete.

Well put Don.

3D is hot because theaters can sell you 25 cent glasses for $3. It inflates ticket prices, making the 3D movies more profitable. That is the main reason 3D is being pushed so hard. The TV manufacturers see it as a way to cash in too. Add $20 to a TV and charge 25% more.

It is just being viewed as a gold mine. The only movie in 3D that I actually enjoyed in 3D was Avatar.

the panasonic 3d demo was pretty awesome. the glasses are active, you could see them flickering sittng in the storage case. directv vp was interviewed as part of the presenation so they are tightly integrating this. "exlusive" was used to describe the panny dtv partnership. 24/7 channel launch in june. they showed college football, clips from avatar, summer games 08, and stock 3d footage.

HT 3D will be DOA. A results of a USA Today poll showed that 59% of respondents would never buy a 3D TV.

Dear Directv, I just bought three HD tv's so I could enjoy all of the HD programming that you offer. Could you possibly get us maxed out on regular HD first (like all the national HD channels we have yet to receive) before moving on to the 3D? I really like the TV's I have now...
AGREED!!!!!!!:up

I got to see the demo today and it WAS cool, but I remember as a kid watching HD on TV and it looked just as good (ok it wasnt in HD but the 3D effects did look good!), so I cant see why you need a new HDTV for this.

hasnt 3d been around for um 40-50 years now? I recall them being in those drive-thru movie theatres back in the day. its become a fad that comes and goes, but it always goes. I think 3d movies ruin the picture quality tremendously. I highly doubt this catches on i didnt spend a grand on my tv to see less than 20 colors sorry.

But is Directv 3d hdtv system compatiable with older 3d sets Like my Samsung DLP does 3d and actually used it evened if i had to use glasses.

Stonecold There is much info starting with post 13331 here: 2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 445 - AVS Forum I also have a 3D DLP Sammy and from what I have gleaned it is backward compatible with our sets but maybe at a lower resolution. I speak of the new 3D BD players. D's solution as well as PS3's, is a simple download.

I believe this will be the start of holosuites for my great grandkids!

Try this on for size.

Kenny- while the recent release of 3D on blu ray, such as Polar Express are good for 3D effects, you are right that this old 3D system from the 1930's strips quality and color from the image. However, the new 3D using circular Polarization glasses is quite different. The images are looking just as high quality as BluRay HD. Also, the 3D is even more impressive compared to the old anaglyph system ( colored glasses)

...Personally, I find 3D fascinating and get an enjoyment of viewing it ONCE IN AWHILE. ...One word of caution about any of this 3D technology. It IS future technology, so don't be so eager to buy into it until the standards get settled...

Thank goodness we still have time to tell them don't make 3D without glasses please. At least with funny glasses, it forces you to use it ONCE IN AWHILE, and when you are not wearing it, you are back to reality.

With 2D color TV people have already lost touch of reality, living in the "TV reality world", HD only made it worse. One of these days our kids will really have no clue what's fiction, what's real.

And yes I am getting old.

Stonecold There is much info starting with post 13331 here: 2008 Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP owners thread and FAQ - Page 445 - AVS Forum I also have a 3D DLP Sammy and from what I have gleaned it is backward compatible with our sets but maybe at a lower resolution. I speak of the new 3D BD players. D's solution as well as PS3's, is a simple download.

Yeah I have a 52 inch sammy dlp one of the last models before going led 1080i/720p used it 1080i mode with nividia 3d mode with there glasses and then used the tridef glasses with the wireless trans meitter a little wier but it works. Not sure if I ever use it as i get headaches like most other people from watching anything to lung but It would be neat to have a couple 3d ppvs out there .

-Bob Murdoch... There is a Projected 3D (Imax, hurts eyes for some) and and Internal Cinematic 3D ( gives depth to picture instead of putting it right in your lap). I would Imagine that this will be thew latter.

I got this tidbit today. The second part of the video is a brief on DirecTV 3D. The info presented here is more accurate than the explanations I got on Thursday.

Link to 3D DirecTV

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)