Directv 3D - is it HDMI 1.4a Compliant?

piperut

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I am not sure if I should put this here, or on the Directv forum?

I am thinking of upgrading my home theater with a Vivitek D512 projector.
I have been talking with Vivitek about this, that projector does not need an additional converter box, it is fully 3D capable as long as the source is HDMI 1.4a compliant.

I sent in a question to Directv asking if their 3d is HDMI 1.4a compliant. I got back a B.S. answer with a sales pitch to purchase a number of different TV sets. This is not customer service, I just need an answer to a simple question:

Are the Directv receivers that are capable of receiving 3D programming HDMI 1.4a complaint?

I don't know for sure if it is or not, but the one that would be the closest would be the HR24

D* sends all of their programming in SbS format. N3D and 3Net use 1080i SbS which is a mandatory format. ESPN is sent at 720p SbS which is an optional format under HDMI specifications, even though they are also provided the 720p T/B mandatory format. PPV is sent using 1080p SbS which is also an optional format. Your best bet is to contact Vivitec and see which formats it accepts. Not all sets accept the optional formats.

S~

No it's not, in fact using a 1.4 cable I was unable to get a picture, so I had to switch it back to an older HDMI cable. (This was on my HR24.)

No it's not, in fact using a 1.4 cable I was unable to get a picture, so I had to switch it back to an older HDMI cable. (This was on my HR24.)

No such thing as a 1.4 cable ;) They are either standard or high speed with the appropriate features, i.e. with or without ethernet.

S~

An HDMI cable (high speed) that was bought within the last few years will work just fine.
That's all you need to know.:)

Scott Greczkowski said:

I agree that something else must be wrong using a cable for 3D would not cause the picture to go dark. I have had one cable with a bad connector and it would have intermittent picture.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys app

True, the HDMI outputs on the Directv receivers are NOT HDMI 1.4 compiant. However, I personally have never heard of a 3D TV or projector having problems with one. You should be fine. The only problems I am aware of are issues with most ( not all ) of the current 3D audio receivers ( eg. Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. ). It seems the audio receivers cannot pass the video of ESPN3D and the 3D PPV channel ( ESPN broadcasts at 720p and the 3D PPV is 1080p. The other 3D channels are broadcasting at 1080i. ). The solution is so incredibly easy that I am amazed at the people who can't figure it out. You simply run your HDMI directly from the Directv receiver into your 3D HDTV. Then you run either the optical or coaxial audio cable from the Directv receiver to your audio receiver. .:doh: That way you get the perfect 2D or 3D picture on your HDTV and still get the 5.1 audio through your audio receiver. :D

Are the Directv receivers that are capable of receiving 3D programming HDMI 1.4a complaint?
Since the receiver has a HDMI connector, the signal sent over it has to be compliant with the specs (otherwise D* would not get a license to use it).

That doesn't mean you'll see a nice picture: bad HDMI cable, TV's capabilities, other equipment in the audio/video chain, HDCP handshake issues, etc. - all can contribute to the final picture...

Diogen.

True, the HDMI outputs on the Directv receivers are NOT HDMI 1.4 compiant. However, I personally have never heard of a 3D TV or projector having problems with one. You should be fine. The only problems I am aware of are issues with most ( not all ) of the current 3D audio receivers ( eg. Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. ). It seems the audio receivers cannot pass the video of ESPN3D and the 3D PPV channel ( ESPN broadcasts at 720p and the 3D PPV is 1080p. The other 3D channels are broadcasting at 1080i. ). The solution is so incredibly easy that I am amazed at the people who can't figure it out. You simply run your HDMI directly from the Directv receiver into your 3D HDTV. Then you run either the optical or coaxial audio cable from the Directv receiver to your audio receiver. .:doh: That way you get the perfect 2D or 3D picture on your HDTV and still get the 5.1 audio through your audio receiver. :D

Not always true. Certain tv's and projector's, JVC for example, do not accept the optional formats used by D* (720p and 1080p SbS) whether running through a receiver or directly to a projector.

S~

HDMI 1.4a is the system vertion of the conector (like USB2 or 3 for example) the problem with your proyector, or TV is if they are not 1.4a they wont activate the 3d function on the transmiter (Dtv, Dish, Ps3etc) and youll need an adapter like the Optoma 3d xl or the Viewsonic, but they are no 100% compatible with some proyector or Tvs and with bad luck on service, i lernd this the hard way, my optra only works with a small benq sm510 proyecto but no with my sx613st

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts