DirecTV 9S Scheduled To Launch Friday

Status
Please reply by conversation.
people on avs have pulled the cover off the at9 and say the 99 and 103, are different from the 101, their conclusion is that the 101 can not recieve KA due to a different antenna, anycase if you are only authorized for 32 Ku transponders, why put over 50 up?

moonman said:
Also no expert, but the AT-9 dish blends both signals into a freq. range that the
receiver can use? In that case you would not need both types of LNB?? I see no
reason that you could not receive KA from 101...the freq. would be higher but
the receiver should be able to tune the freq.?

The question would be: Is the LNB looking at the 101 satellite capable of receiving a KA signal?

stuart628 said:
anycase if you are only authorized for 32 Ku transponders, why put over 50 up?

My only guesses would be 1. they know something will change allowing them to more (is that possible) 2. back ups 3. bird will eventually move to another location

stuart628 said:
if you are only authorized for 32 Ku transponders, why put over 50 up?
Because satellite transponders can and do fail in space. If one fails, a backup can be configured for the frequency the failed transponder was transmitting on to restore service.

GeorgeLV said:
Because satellite transponders can and do fail in space. If one fails, a backup can be configured for the frequency the failed transponder was transmitting on to restore service.

okay, so you have 32 transponders, but yet have 52, plus 2, would you really plan for 50% failure rate? I think they know something, and they have plans, just havent let anyone know them yet....we shall see though

Whatever happens, it will be a while. Takes several months to launch, test, and turn over the bird to D*. Then they have to do their uplinks and test those. Then, finally, they send updates to all the tuners and go live. So it's not like they are going to activate a bunch of national HDs by Christmas.

redman042 said:
Whatever happens, it will be a while. Takes several months to launch, test, and turn over the bird to D*. Then they have to do their uplinks and test those. Then, finally, they send updates to all the tuners and go live. So it's not like they are going to activate a bunch of national HDs by Christmas.

I thought they said it would be between 50 - 60 day max? 60 is a typical maximum and at 60 days that would be 12/14/06. Their previous launch was the only one that took longer and that was because of the investigation and extended additional testing of a reported anomaly. Other recent birds have been activated well before 60 days.

directvfreak said:
Is directv showing the launch?
...and if so, what channel?

arianespace will have it on their web site, but its always great to see it on D*TV itself with their narration.

charper1 said:
I thought they said it would be between 50 - 60 day max? 60 is a typical maximum and at 60 days that would be 12/14/06. Their previous launch was the only one that took longer and that was because of the investigation and extended additional testing of a reported anomaly. Other recent birds have been activated well before 60 days.

Its actually sppose to take UP to 52 days, usually happens around 30 I believe. but directv is allowed to uplink while its in the air.

Say it ain't so.....

DIRECTV 9S Satellite Launches Successfully; Expands DIRECTV Fleet to Nine Spacecraft
Business Editors

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 13, 2006--DIRECTV continued to fortify its satellite fleet with the successful launch today of DIRECTV 9S, a high-powered, spot-beam satellite that will provide back-up capacity and ensure continuous, reliable service for DIRECTV customers. The spacecraft was successfully launched today at 1:56 p.m. PT from Europe's Spaceport in Kouou, French Guiana.

DIRECTV 9S is one of four satellites DIRECTV has launched over the past two years as it continues to expand its capacity to provide new national and local services in both standard- and high-definition, as well as interactive and original programming.
DIRECTV will launch two more satellites next year that will more than quadruple its capacity and enable it to lead the industry in the delivery of HD programming.

The Space Systems/Loral-built satellite will be positioned at the 101-degree West longitude orbital slot, providing back-up capacity for the DIRECTV fleet, including spot-beam satellites that deliver standard definition local services. DIRECTV offers local channels in 142 markets, representing 94 percent of U.S. TV households.

DIRECTV 9S was launched aboard an Ariane 5 ECA rocket and after 26 minutes, the rocket left the spacecraft in a geosynchronous transfer orbit with a high point of 22,300 miles (36,000 km) above the equator. Controllers at the Hartebeesthoek ground station in South Africa made contact with the satellite and confirmed that all systems are functioning properly.

"We congratulate the launch team on the flawless lift off of DIRECTV 9S, the ninth satellite in our fleet," said Phil Goswitz, vice president, Space & Communications, DIRECTV, Inc. "DIRECTV 9S will ensure that we have the needed capacity and flexibility to provide the breadth and quality of services that our customers have come to expect. We are committed to maintaining our near perfect 99.96% signal availability for our customers."

In the coming weeks, controllers will maneuver the spacecraft into a circular orbit; deploy the antennas and solar arrays; and test operational functions, communications payload and propulsion system.

The next scheduled satellite launches for DIRECTV are DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 in 2007. The two satellites will provide DIRECTV with the capacity to offer more than 150 national HD channels and more than 1,500 local HD channels, as well as other advanced programming services for its customers.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.5 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. DIRECTV is approximately 39 percent owned by News Corporation. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

From that press release, it looks like nothing more than a backup, for their 101 satellite. But with D* hush hush policy, we usually don't find about anything new until after it happens.

I agree Lou, looks like they just repeated what they said back when the bird was announced, but only time will tell for sure.

charper1 said:
I agree Lou, looks like they just repeated what they said back when the bird was announced, but only time will tell for sure.

I think that D* is realizing that they need to get moving with offering HD nationals. With the holiday season coming up, many will be purchasing new HDTVs. When they look into the available programing it wouldn't take a genius decide if they want the 30 national HD channels that E* offers versus the 7 the D* offers.

D* does offer locals in HD in some markets, it is good for some but it is meaningless to many who can get them OTA for free. But that only adds 4 more channels to the 7 they already offer, still putting them 19 behind E*.

I am hanging in there hoping to see more HD programing from D* soon.

stuart628 said:
okay, so you have 32 transponders, but yet have 52, plus 2, would you really plan for 50% failure rate? I think they know something, and they have plans, just havent let anyone know them yet....we shall see though
Some of the transponders are used for "backhauling"-uplinking local receive facilities to get local channels to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)