Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DIRECTV has decided to provide out of market local channels to customers in markets where we have no plans at the moment to launch actual local channels. Please note that customers won’t need an MPEG 4 upgrade to receive the out of market (DNS services) in the 390 channel range. Customers without MPEG 4 hardware will see the DNS SD version of the DNS channels. As of 09/22/10 a $0 dollar offer will be applied onto the accounts of all existing customers, which will provide DNS services (see list below) to selected DMAs.

Alpena MI DNS: All except CBS
Glendive MT DNS: All except CBS & NBC
Persque Isle ME DNS: All but CBS
Ottumwa IA Kirksville MO N/A DNS: All but ABC & FOX
Bowling Green KY N/A DNS: All but ABC & NBC
Lima OH N/A DNS: All but ABC & NBC
North Platte NE N/A DNS: CBS, CW, PBS ONLY
Victoria TX N/A DNS: CBS, CW, PBS ONLY

These markets are having DNS added at no cost as they don't have an affilate offering these networks. They used to be the "automatic approved waiver" upon request, but cost $2.50 or so, now these customers will get them free.

Alpena for example, has only one station in it's DMA, CBS. Now Alpena customers will get all stations via DNA except CBS, which they will have to get OTA unless DirecTV ever adds it in the future.

Yes, I do know that. I guess I should have added a :).

I did wonder about the reference to the 390s in the post above.
The 390s are the HD versions. The SD DNS are in the 380s.

Please clarify

I live in Bowling Green, Ky which was one the DMA's mentioned. I currently do not subscribe to Dish or Direct TV. However, we are looking at moving to an area of our county that is not serviced by cable, so we would have to choose either Dish or Direct TV. With Dish, we can get locals now, but all are in SD. If we chose Direct TV, does this mean we could get all of our locals except ABC and NBC, but the ones that we get will be from another city and not in HD? When I go to Direct TV's website and 'pretend' like I am purchasing a package, it tells me 'no locals'. I'm just sort of confused on the whole thing.

Dish carries almost all markets in SD. Directv has not got that far yet

You would get the stations in HD but would be from NY....

Bummer, Charlottesville, VA still out in the cold

Still no options other than waivers and expensive DNS for Charlottesville (22903):mad: It's right in there with the rest of these towns with a DMA of 183.

I've gotta move:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)