DirecTV and Cable Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seaquake2

Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I just signed up for DirecTV and have and will be keeping my Cable Internet. I'm curious how the technician is going to tie it all together. I know about diplexers and multiswitches.

Here's my setup...

Outside:
Satellite
TWC Cable Internet

Inside
Living Room - HDDVR and cable modem (single coaxial)
Bedroom 1 - HDDVR
Bedroom 2 - SD Receiver
Bedroom 3 - Cable modem only if needed to be moved there

I was wondering how they would set it up.

They would run a new line into the home from the dish.

Due to support issues, they won't mess with trying to combine anything with your cable tv service.

They will make sure the cable modem is on its on line. They may reuse any existing cable in the house if it is good enough, but will disconnect it from the cable co first.

I have the same thing. However my house is a newer build. So everything comes into a wiring closet. So I actually have 2 lines coming into the closet, one for cable and one from the DirecTv Dish. The cable line hooks directly to my cable modem and the DirecTv line goes into my SWM. The problem come into play when you want DirecTv and cable on the same line.

Most time they will use the coax cable that was already put in the house. Cable is cable does not matter if it was used for cable company or Direct they all use the same thing. Only time I would see them not using the cable that was already there unless it was real old or had issues. If possible it's better for them to use whats there will save them allot of time and they should be able to do the install without it messing anything up with your net connection. They should put a DECA on your router which will prevent any issues and get all your devices on the net and MVR plus any other features.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)