Directv and copper shielded coax

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kev1782

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I have a customer who had Directv come out for an install, and the tech looked at the coax that was pre-wired and told the customer that copper shielded coax causes the HD channels to have problems. I've never run across copper shielded RG-6 coax in the 9 years I've installed Dish Network and Directv. Has anyone ever had problems with coax that has copper shielding instead of aluminum shielding?

No, it was copper shielded RG-6. I assumed it was 59 over the phone, but when I got to his house, it's RG-6, swept up to 3000 megahertz just like every other "satellite approved" RG-6 coax we buy. It wasn't the Radio Shack special that always had the copper shielding, it was RG-6 with a stiff center conductor.

Does it have a foil shield in addition to the braid? Copper-shielded RG59 only has the copper braid, although it has better coverage than the braid used with cables having the foil. This can cause problems at high frequencies (double-shielded cables having two braids in contact with each other are better), which could affect the signal strength. The compression connectors which the installers use probably won't fit, either.

There's no foil on this coax. Just the copper shielding, directly touching the plastic sheath.

Status
Please reply by conversation.