DirecTV and HD?

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
Article from Vurbano's best bud at tvpredictions.com

Is Murdoch Serious About HDTV?
Fox Sports chief David Hill says high-def is overrated. Is he speaking for the boss?
By Phillip Swann

Washington, DC (May 12) -- The late humorist S.J. Perelman once said that he found
The Los Angeles Times fascinating because he never knew on what page he would find a
front page story. Likewise, in the information-packed USA Today, you never know in what
paragraph you will discover the lead of the article.

For instance, in a profile of Fox Sports Chairman David Hill in the May 12th edition, USA's
TV-sports columnist Michael Hiestand writes this in the eighth paragraph.

"Although Fox's (Baseball) All-Star Game will be shown in High-Definition TV, (Hill) says, 'I can't
understand the excitement about it. It just lengthens and broadens the picture, makes it sharper
but doesn't change it.' "

Hiestand adds that Hill is working to bring three-dimensional TV to sports. "3-D is the answer.
Not HDTV," Hiestand quotes Hill as saying.

Hiestand, of course, is probably not aware that Fox has yet to broadcast a single event or
primetime show in High-Definition TV. The network's rivals, NBC, CBS and ABC, have been
airing shows in high-def for a few years, but Fox has held out despite pressure from both
HDTV owners and federal officials who are pushing for the nation's TV signals to switch from
analog to digital. Many critics have suggested that Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp.,
the parent company of Fox, is not particularly interested in HDTV, believing that it's more
expensive to produce and does not generate new viewers or advertising revenue.

However, under competitive pressure, Fox announced last year that it would begin airing some
of its primetime shows in high-def during the 2004-2005 season. In addition, the network said
it will show some sporting events in HD, such as July's All-Star game.

But critics wondered whether Murdoch "gets" High-Definition TV and was simply giving lip service
to Federal Communications Commission officials who were reviewing his purchase of DIRECTV,
the nation's largest satellite TV service. Hill's comments could renew those concerns, particularly
considering that Murdoch has yet to add a single HDTV channel to DIRECTV since taking over
the satcaster last December. DIRECTV officials have said they are waiting on the successful
deployment of a new satellite, which is expected next month.

However, at this point, HDTV owners have to ask if Murdoch is truly serious about increasing the
amount of HDTV programming both on his Fox networks and DIRECTV. If Hill is any barometer --
and the Fox Sports executive is considered an important player at News Corp. -- Murdoch and
company may be more interested in other new technologies, such as Interactive TV and 3-D TV..

Did the FCC ask him about that before it approved the DIRECTV deal?

Everytime I start thinking about getting D* I read something like this. Doesn't D* get it at all? I really think Newscorp is wrong on this one. Also, what the hell is 3-D TV? Like from Minority Report? That's like 15 years away.

I read that crap on AVS........... what a moron. Hill is an idiot. Ads on bases? 3-d?( when 2070?) HD is not the answer? what planet is this guy from? After spending all this money to upgrade FOX to HD id fire him.

ANd Swann, LMAO one idiot writing about another idiot it seems.

Theres another stupid thing he did too just cant recall it at the moment?

Explains it all...

It certainly explains why DTV has not embraced HD programming. It seems as though this won't change...

3D TV!!?? No comment....

The Rickster

Think about it from a business point of view and he may be right. The only reason to get Voom is HDTV. And looking at the numbers they are not exactly setting the world on fire. We here are all interested in HDTV, but think of all the people you now who have sh!tty TV's that don't even display a decent picture that they are totally happy with. Sure they go wow when they see your's, but do they rush out and buy one? No. HDTV is gee wiz, but it's just not a huge sales driver.

No Sat Service Needed

With the amount of HD format programming that exist today FOX is an embarrassment to the HD Broadcast. Granted they're not HD, that so-called Hi-resolution Widescreen they do really isn't DVD quaility. If I was on the FOX board of directors and had friends and family over, entertaining them with maybe my new 60"+ size HDTV, I wouldn't even put my channel on.

My HDTV has a built in Tuner. A pair of $5 rabbit ears antennea is all I need to watch the Networks HD broadcast. HDTV is great for primetime programming but where the technology really shines is LIVE broadcast using HD cameras. Take in CBS broadcast of NFL, NCAA Basketball, PGA Golf or ABC Monday Night Football and you'll see what I mean. Turn the channel to Fox and watch a blurred Nascar Race, Blurred NFL and shake your head in disgust.

I had heard that Fox is going to go Real HD later this year. I hope they get it right by Football season. Last year their football video broadcast were awful.

Hey Fox! Get a clue

Being a Horse Racing fan it was great to see the Kentucky Derby in HD and tomorrow the Preakness will also be in HD.

On Fox, as a HDTV owner I couldn't agree more with notcat2 above, I also have Directv and the difference between watching CBS in 1080 and the crappy 480 that Fox put out is night and day. Also it is weird in a way that such a innovative network like fox would be the one dragging there feet.

Again it must be economics, I am the only person I now that has both the HDTV and a HD receiver.

God I wish rabbit ears could work for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)