Directv and King Dome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

txslady

Original poster
May 4, 2008
Hello everyone!

Let me start off by saying I'm technology challenged ;).... so you will need to keep it simple in your response. I hope I've posted this in the correct forum.

We are currently full-timing in our rv and had a King Dome satellite installed 2 years ago. At the time we had Dish and never had any compatability issues until two weeks ago when I could not pick up any signal. I spent 30 minutes with a tech from KD and still no signal. I was never able to determine where the problem was.

Decided to switch to Directv, so on Friday the tech came out. When I explained we had the KD and wouldn't need a dish, he stated he could not perform the installation unless I used the dish provided. When I asked about using the splitter (or separator) he claimed Directv didn't work with a splitter/separator. (I'm 0 for 2 at this point :mad: ) I allowed him to set up the dish and install one receiver (which is all I ordered thinking I could use the splitter) and we have satellite along with a dish that is in the way.

Is it possible to undo his installation and attempt to reconnect through my KD? Keep in mind he removed several cables, including the splitter and I have no idea where they were to begin with.

First of all, the tech was correct. He's not supposed to do the job unless he installs the dish for a new customer. If he had hooked it up to your KD, and there was a problem with that unit, then he's on the hook to come back and fix it for no pay. By installing the dish (on a tripod I'm assuming), then he is not responsible for anything you do after he leaves in regards to reconnecting to your KD.

DirecTV can not be used with splitters between the dish and receiver. You can use splitters on the output of the receiver to send the same signal to multiple TV's.

The KD set up is an entirely different animal than setting up a dish anywhere else.
I would expect that the KD's set up would have advanced as in now having HD capability as well as handling more as well as multiple LNB set ups , but I have failed to see any improvements as of yet.

The KD set up I think should be done by the installation company (RV place) not a D* tech that has never seen one.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)