Directv and Panasonic Replay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LeeJustin

Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I've finally had it with the poor quality of my cable signal and am looking into my satellite options. Right now the sticking point is my syand alone Replay, and I can't get a straight answer form either Directv or Dish.

Has ayone had any luck andor advise on whether I can use my Panasonic Replay with Standard Def Directv?

Thanks for any help yu can offer!

(I'm posting the same question in the Dish Forum)

I had an older Panasonic Replay unit that worked great with my standalone DirecTV unit. I gave it to my sister when I went with DirecTV's Tivo. My sister is still using it with Dish.

I've finally had it with the poor quality of my cable signal and am looking into my satellite options. Right now the sticking point is my syand alone Replay, and I can't get a straight answer form either Directv or Dish.

Has ayone had any luck andor advise on whether I can use my Panasonic Replay with Standard Def Directv?

I have a replay working fine with an older Hughes D* box. The STB has a serial port that connects to a little gizmo i bought on the internet that converts the serial protocol from the STB to the protocol that the Replay understands. Check Replay TV web forum sites for info (Replayzone.com???). I believe the gizmo also works with the newer boxes. Without a serial connection, you need to use the IR blaster to have the D* box change the channel on the replay. With the serial port, it is pretty seamless. IR blaster can be a bit flaky

I have 3 ReplayTV 4508s that have all been running many, many years just fine. Once DirecTV went to the newest branded receivers they stopped update/adding /sharing remote codes, but the auto-tune in the receiver works just fine. In fact I got used to it because I also have a few home built PC based DVRs as well; no remote codes for those. My buddy uses the adapter with great success.

First, what model D* IRD would you connect to?

I've used my Replay 5080 with a Sony Sat-A55; a Sony SAT-HD300; and a D* H20-600. The only sticking-point: the H20 lacked IR codes for the Replay, and the Replay lacked IR codes for the H20. I had to download and "install" a hack from one of the ReplayTV forums. All of the new IRD's use the same remote, so whether it's SD or HD, it's very likely that the Replay will not control any new D* IRD. If it's an older D* IRD, you probably will have no trouble.

=======

I have a Replay 5080 (with lifetime subscription). Shortly after purchase, I swapped the 80 GB hard disk for a 250 GB drive. It's always worked perfectly.

The Replay has been disconnected (in a box, wrapped in lots of bubble-wrap) since I moved at the end of September. In my new house it just is not feasible to run ethernet to any of my TV locations, so I've resigned myself to waiting for an HR20 with OTA enabled.

If interested in buying my 250-hr 5080 with IR codes for the H20, send me a PM.

I'm curiuos: why wouldn't you just go with a D* SD DVR? You wouldn't have to worrry about the Replay's usablility, and it would be less equipment-clutter.
A new subscriber deal ought to include an SD DVR... although if you're a slick negotiator you might arrange a free upgrade to the HD DVR later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR20 and Current Multiswitch?

MPEG 4 - when do we see HD other than locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)