DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
WOW, Now this would possible make me come back to D*. Be an interesting 2009 for me . D* using TiVo,
E* well Who really knows, My guess paying off TiVo and sell to D*
Fios coming to my neighborhood.
IF D* gets TIVO DVRS by next summer ,along with more premiums. I'll be back.

WOW, Now this would possible make me come back to D*. Be an interesting 2009 for me . D* using TiVo,
E* well Who really knows, My guess paying off TiVo and sell to D*
Fios coming to my neighborhood.
IF D* gets TIVO DVRS by next summer ,along with more premiums. I'll be back.

:clap alright!!

how did the old tivos compare to our current HR series? better or worse?

This is a deeper question then you know :)

Depends on if you like tivo or not, personally I loved it..It was a very easy G.U.I. to learn, and for me it was ROCK solid never missed a recording (okay maybe once, but I doubt it). Also D* recievers have come a long way, and I am VERY comfortable using them, and depending on them...I think Directv has done a solid job in making their HD DVR's and I think some things that are coming up in them will take them that much further. Now one thing I will say is this, I doubt The Tivos would do interactive features and stuff like that, I think Directv will hold some cards close to their chest to make sure, if you want the FULL directv experience you will need a directv box, but I guess we will all see in a year. I need a countdown sig now :)

how did the old tivos compare to our current HR series? better or worse?
Well judging by the D* tivo receiver I had, It functioned way better then any D* H20 or HR 20 that I've ever used. ,But mine needed a new hardrive,and power supply after 3 years. So did the one I bought off EBAY thats still in my closet,that was made in 2003.
So if the parts are made by D* and the software made by TIVO, I'd say LOOK OUT E*.

i guess what i'm saying stuart is all i want is a fast responsive dvr with DLB and ota built in with no hiccups. i'm hoping that this move will help D perfect the software of what we have now too.

Well judging by the D* tivo receiver I had, It functioned way better then any D* H20 or HR 20 that I've ever used. ,But my needed a new hardrive,and power supply after 3 years. So if the parts are made by D* and the software made by TIVO, I'd say LOOK OUT E*.

that's what i'm really interested in. if tivo can really perfect the software on D's current dvr's that would be superb news!

i guess what i'm saying stuart is all i want is a fast responsive dvr with DLB and ota built in with no hiccups. i'm hoping that this move will help D perfect the software of what we have now too.

yes My tivos were always fast and responsive, and the Tivo HD box did have OTA, now I dont know if The Tivos will have OTA as we have seen Directv move away from it...but who knows....

That is the only thing I miss is the Dual Live Buffers too.

that's what i'm really interested in. if tivo can really perfect the software on D's current dvr's that would be superb news!
Thats what I think D* receivers need ,is someone else to do the software end of it. D* 20 series IMO have very few mechanical problem. I'm blame it all on software. Tivo's software was fantasic IMO, But the Mechanical end of it wasn't what I would call up to par. Close but still an issue. The only plus thing about the old tivo,Is Weaknees sell all the replacement parts. and for about $200 you can rebuild most of the receiver and upgrade hard drive capacity. Unless you have a motherboard issue. But I've yet seen anyone I know have one of those.

the HR10-250 is tivo based right? any chance these would receive a software upgrade for the current mpeg4 platform or does the chipset in the 10-250 not allow that?

the HR10-250 is tivo based right? any chance these would receive a software upgrade for the current mpeg4 platform or does the chipset in the 10-250 not allow that?

Nope, the hardware has to be upgraded.

For those of us, like myself, whom cannot stand TiVO, it is nice to see that they are offering it as a choice for those that do prefer TiVO over the HRxx's.

For those of us, like myself, whom cannot stand TiVO, it is nice to see that they are offering it as a choice for those that do prefer TiVO over the HRxx's.

i put a poll up in the WZ to see what people think about this move. especially those who have had experience with the old Tivo's.

Just a quick thought, perhaps I'll get to see one of these at CES in January, perhpas they'll have a prototype unit to show off.

Last year they were showing Dirctv2PC, and the directv tuner for pc, both of which are in testing with no ETA. They were demo'ing them several months before serious testing even started.

Something to look forward too other than hockey :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)