DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i put a poll up in the WZ to see what people think about this move. especially those who have had experience with the old Tivo's.
I already voted. I will probably be the only one who picks HR. Oh well, I have my reasons for hating TiVO more and more each day.

That's good news. I really missed my Tivo. I liked it's ease of use and automatic searching of shows you might like. If I can still use my external hard drive that would be great.

Very smart move for DirecTV... looking past the obvious home user stuff, this is perfect for insulation against any lawsuits. DTV won't be paying out millions of dollars to Tivo for patent infringement. They'll get some subs back who are die hard Tivo users.

Very smart move.

This is the one thing that would make me consider going back to D*. Given I just re-upped with Dish, it will be a while in any case. Maybe this will give them a chance to work out the initial bugs. I hope the new devices with work with the single wire multiswitches.

Ted

if you're gonna do this do it right. some of the things i would want in this new dvr would be an HD GUI. ota built in or an add on that goes into the box not outside like the am21. record at least 2 sat and 1 ota at the same time. a very customizable prog. guide. lightning fast response to commands.

how did the old tivos compare to our current HR series? better or worse?

The old TiVos were slower to respond sometimes like when you would set a program to record or set priorities in the Season Pass Manager. The dual live buffers were a huge advantage. You could channel surf during commercials and not worry about flipping back too late and missing some of your show when the commercials ended. The "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" ratings let the TiVo learn what your lives and dislikes are and it would automatically record things that it thought you might like. I learned about quite a few cool shows that way. The "search for shows to record" feature was much better. It would only search channels that you have programmed into your favorite channels list. The HR2x series searches every channel including ones that you don't subscribe to and PPV channels which is really annoying.

Wife will love this

My wife will be so happy, also please keep mediashare in the new directvf hd tivo I love this feature!!!

Trevor

The old TiVos were slower to respond sometimes like when you would set a program to record or set priorities in the Season Pass Manager. The dual live buffers were a huge advantage. You could channel surf during commercials and not worry about flipping back too late and missing some of your show when the commercials ended. The "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" ratings let the TiVo learn what your lives and dislikes are and it would automatically record things that it thought you might like. I learned about quite a few cool shows that way. The "search for shows to record" feature was much better. It would only search channels that you have programmed into your favorite channels list. The HR2x series searches every channel including ones that you don't subscribe to and PPV channels which is really annoying.

thanks phoenix :)

WOWZERS! I am setting aside money now every month so I can buy this when it comes out..I do enjoy tivo....my only question is now this, What about SD recievers, Like the R10 and such, wonder if they will put those in production again, or do a new one, I have two R10's that if they go out, I get the Newest Dvr from Directv not Tivo.

I expect that by 2nd half 2009 they no longer install SD receivers and are 100% HD.

When i clicked the link on the front page, I expected to get rick rolled, this is some great news even if I am already well adjusted to the HR21. Wife loves our old SD TiVo that's in the bedroom.

Wow, after reading around a bit about this it seems that people are really excited! I know I'll be first in line to get one. I started with a 14hour Tivo and have loved them ever since. Even did some beta testing for them back in the day!

My guess is after DirecTV told TIVO to piss off and bought the replay patents they were in a much better position with their own units and software to have TIVO come back and renegotiate the software fees and such. Probably saved them some serious $$ per sub on Tivo boxes.

Tivo is in pretty desperate shape right now as well. Adding DirecTV back will help them tremendously.

All this also puts a big fist right up the back side of Charlie and E*.

Good times to be a D* Sub for sure.

Edit:

Only thing that is going to be an issue is I fully expect DirecTV to charge a huge amount for these boxes. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the 600-1k range when they first come out. They know people will pay and they can slowly drop the price as time goes on.

What a shocker. Just amazing that, really, NOBODY saw this coming.

I'm 50/50 on this. I was a very early adopter of both the HR10-250 and the HR20-700. The HR20's interface has grown on me quite a bit. We watch so little live TV that lack of DLB isn't that big an issue.

The HR20's speed and picture-guide have really proven to be a winner in our house. The HR10 was just sssssslllllllooooooowwwww in comparison.

That being said, it would be a real decision on my next HD DVR, especially if the Tivo offers built-in OTA that is a measure above the HR20 (either built-in or add-on). Also, I'll need to factor in D*'s movements in the next year when factoring in, too.

- Will active features work?
- Will the PC playback and/or MRV features work on either platform? Within platforms only?

Lots of questions, some time to work things out...

I still have 2 DirecTV Tivo's sitting in the basement not in use. I liked them but hated having to dial in for updates. I have no land line.

I think the HR20's that I have now have grown on me and doubt that I will pay for a new receiver simply to replace one of my HR20's that work good. If one were to die, well then, maybe if I had the choice without paying for an "upgrade".

This is exciting news. I jumped to E* 2 years ago. While I really like my 622 the wife and I both miss the TIVO interface.

If the new boxes use the Single-Wire technology and can do Multi-room viewing I will be seriously considering coming back.

Can't wait for more detailed specs to emerge in the coming months.

The old TiVos were slower to respond sometimes like when you would set a program to record or set priorities in the Season Pass Manager.

This was better after some software updates. Although the HR10 was never as fast as my DVR40.

The dual live buffers were a huge advantage. You could channel surf during commercials and not worry about flipping back too late and missing some of your show when the commercials ended.

I use this all the time with my 722 in Single mode. I could not stand the single buffers on the HR20.

Ted

I am very happy about this. I hope Directv puts the old SD Tivo back into production.

Right now it would cost me over 1,000+ to go back to Directv(buying my SD tivos from WeaKnees)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts