DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You know quite well why, and that in the long run, it is for a very good reason.
Does knowing why DIRECTV regularly misses dates on its promises enhance your viewing experience?

Is redundancy of spot beams (especially considering that Spaceway 1 has only one local channel on it) really a "very good a reason" to delay?

Which is exactly why I refuse to Upgrade and sign a commitment with E*

And your last statement is starting to feel true.
I think D* is watching E* to close, and the Nickle and dime'ing is starting.
Only difference is D* been Charging more then E* for just about every Base pack and Premium Channel offering for years, While carrying more Premiums then D*.
What Exactly are we paying for is the Question I ask myself.

D* doesn't have nearly the massive lawsuits as E*.

So what is it , YES Network?? MLB EI, NFL ST???

Directv MRV $3 Fee is a joke too, Because you might as well just get an HD DVR..
I can Get another HD DVR From D( for $99 or Pay D* $150 and get MRV? Let me think now??:rolleyes:

I can get an HR24 for less then $200.

With the issues you've had with the other HR2x boxes, you really should spend the extra bucks and get the HR24.

On the cost associated with MRV, here's my thoughts. I was able to get a SWM setup installed (which I didn't have before) plus two new SD DVRs. Because of my 5 DVR setup I had to get a SWM 16 switch and two SWM 8 switches. So I feel like I got good value for my $115 cost. But if you already had a SWM setup and SWM compatible boxes, I agree it's a harder up front cost to swallow.

The 722 would have gotten sent back if D* delivered the 160 HD channels that was promised in MAY.
Shame on you.

You've been parsing DIRECTV press releases long enough to know that terms like "beginning in", "start rolling out" and "up to" mean that it isn't going to happen all at once.

Of course the early versions of the press releases don't have these modifiers (in fact many early versions read "more than" or "by"), but you should know by now that they will end up reading that way.

Does knowing why DIRECTV regularly misses dates on its promises enhance your viewing experience?

Is redundancy of spot beams (especially considering that Spaceway 1 has only one local channel on it) really a "very good a reason" to delay?

So now you are the expert in satellite technology? I'm not, but I know you aren't, either. The way you get beat up at dbstalk by those who do know, why do you bother posting your FUD at all? Seriously, why? Every time you do, you lose a little bit more credibility.

D10 sure , lets get it fixed, But what I can't understand, is why didn't they do it when D11 was sitting there?

From what I understand, D12 essentially duplicates the spot beams from D10 (in order to be able to provide backup capabilities). D11's spot beams are configured differently.

So if they had done this with D11, wouldn't this mean they would have had to turn off locals for some people while they fixed D10? I don't think that's an acceptable solution.

From what I understand, D12 essentially duplicates the spot beams from D10 (in order to be able to provide backup capabilities). D11's spot beams are configured differently.

So if they had done this with D11, wouldn't this mean they would have had to turn off locals for some people while they fixed D10? I don't think that's an acceptable solution.
Your right, If thats true.

You don't need to be an expert in satellite technology to read the FCC applications (although it probably doesn't hurt). If you read the launch application for D12, it specifically says that it will take over spot beam duty from D10 and that D10 will, at least initially, be a backup to D12.

Pretty simple.

If you look at the spot beam maps for D10 and D12 (generated from the Schedule S of the launch applications filed with the FCC), they appear to overlap (some of the area names are different but the coverage area is the same).

Not rocket science.

To date, nobody here at SatelliteGuys nor anyone at DBSTalk has been able to demonstrate that D10 will be able to offer any additional spot beam capacity over and above what D12 offers. They rationalize that they're might be, but none has offered a practical explanation as to how.

They would not have embarked on the repair plan if it had meant turning off a good chunk of the existing markets. D10 was doing what it could and Spaceway 1 was there to back over half of it up. Even at that, DIRECTV managed to all but empty Spaceway 1.

You don't need to be an expert in satellite technology to read the FCC applications (although it probably doesn't hurt). If you read the launch application for D12, it specifically says that it will take over spot beam duty from D10 and that D10 will, at least initially, be a backup to D12.

Pretty simple.

If you look at the spot beam maps for D10 and D12 (generated from the Schedule S of the launch applications filed with the FCC), they appear to overlap (some of the area names are different but the coverage area is the same).

Not rocket science.

To date, nobody here at SatelliteGuys nor anyone at DBSTalk has been able to demonstrate that D10 will be able to offer any additional spot beam capacity over and above what D12 offers. They rationalize that they're might be, but none has offered a practical explanation as to how.
So D12 won't provide anymore locals?

So D12 won't provide anymore locals?

Don't know what satellite will provide this but D* has announced that they will be providing locals in 19 more markets. So that means either they will be going on bandwidth they already had available (which begs the question why didn't they provide these already) or D12 will be providing additional spot beam bandwidth. Either way 19 more markets are being added.

Last edited:
Don't know what satellite will provide this but D* has announced that they will be providing locals in 19 more markets. So that means either they will be going on bandwidth they already had available (which begs the question why didn't they provide these already) or D12 will be providing additional spot beam bandwidth which would mean harsh is incorrect. Either way 19 more markets are being added.

That count has actually increased to 35. Some of those markets are short and will only require bandwidth for 1-3 additional channels, but most of them are full markets.

This doesn't necessarily indicate that harsh is wrong. We don't know what satellite they'll be using to provide these markets yet.

That count has actually increased to 35. Some of those markets are short and will only require bandwidth for 1-3 additional channels, but most of them are full markets.

This doesn't necessarily indicate that harsh is wrong. We don't know what satellite they'll be using to provide these markets yet.

Which is why I edited the part about harsh out of my post. Like you say, it's too early to declare precisely how it's going to be done. So it's not fair on my part, or anybody else's part yet, to say who is right or wrong. All we know at this point is that there is more local HD coming.

In addition to duplicating D10's spot beam coverage, there are a few additional spot beams provided by D12.
The difference being the spot beams that had experienced "failure" on D10.

The claim is that these spot beams have now been restored.

Perhaps not so obviously, they can't turn up the additional D12 spot beams until the corresponding spot beams on D10 have been tested.

To answer Hemi's question, we don't know how many of the D10 spotbeams had failed but it is likely that they will be put to use in addition additional HD LIL channels after the testing is complete. Technically, I suppose they don't even need to wait for D10 to drift back as long as it isn't going to be sending conflicting signals.

Last edited:
HD PQ ,VOD,Interactive features and Free MLB EI is whats keeping me here.
And my 24 month contract.

It is just HD PQ and MLB:EI that keeps me. 24 month contract was just fulfilled this month.

The HD PQ alone is enough for me. I consider E*'s HD PQ to be unacceptable. I would stay with D* if they have only half the HD channels as E*.

Directv's HD-Lite...

is a real concern. Just look at: BBC AMERICA, E!, G4, HALLMARK, HISTORY iNTERNATIONAL, HLN, LIFETIME, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, NATGEO WILD, STYLE, TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES, TRUTV, DIY, INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY.

is a real concern. Just look at: BBC AMERICA, E!, G4, HALLMARK, HISTORY iNTERNATIONAL, HLN, LIFETIME, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, NATGEO WILD, STYLE, TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES, TRUTV, DIY, INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY.

Interesting .....
I don't watch any of the ones you listed.

First, please turn off your caps. Thanks! By Directv's hd lite, I assume you mean their lineup, yes? I think by the time D12 is filled, the difference between Directv and Dish will be negligible. Besides, for me, since Dish doesn't carry the YES network, Directv already has the lineup I want.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts