DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's a fair enough point. I probably could look through here and find answers but what are they charging most current subs to get the HR24?

How many months are left on your commitment ?

The price for a HR24 is $ 199 unless you find it for a few dollars cheaper as some have, but the cheaper prices are going fast.

Sounds like you WANT to leave and go to cable, if thats so, don't let us talk you out of it.
That leaves another HR24 available for ME !

How many months are left on your commitment ?

The price for a HR24 is $ 199 unless you find it for a few dollars cheaper as some have, but the cheaper prices are going fast.

Sounds like you WANT to leave and go to cable, if thats so, don't let us talk you out of it.
That leaves another HR24 available for ME !

I HATE cable. That I would even consider it shows only how much I despise the HR23. The HR23 is easily the worst HD dvr I have encountered. I will consider the HR24 tho. I am low on options at this point.

I HATE cable. That I would even consider it shows only how much I despise the HR23. The HR23 is easily the worst HD dvr I have encountered. I will consider the HR24 tho. I am low on options at this point.

You are correct, as far as I am concerned anything since the HR20 has been undesirable ...that has a lot to do with why I continued to hold out and not upgrade till now..... I have a HR24 now, I've had it for a week approx, and it is very nice.
I like it better than the HR20's I've been pretty happy with the last 4-5 years.

You didn't answer my question about your commitment, but they pro rate the Early Term. Fee ... it' amounts to about $ 20 per month left on your contract.

Now you do know that when you get a HR24 that WILL kick in a 2 year commitment, right ? just letting you know.

Make sure to de activate the HR23

You are correct, as far as I am concerned anything since the HR20 has been undesirable ...that has a lot to do with why I continued to hold out and not upgrade till now..... I have a HR24 now, I've had it for a week approx, and it is very nice.
I like it better than the HR20's I've been pretty happy with the last 4-5 years.

You didn't answer my question about your commitment, but they pro rate the Early Term. Fee ... it' amounts to about $ 20 per month left on your contract.

Now you do know that when you get a HR24 that WILL kick in a 2 year commitment, right ? just letting you know.

Make sure to de activate the HR23

Sry- I have a two year commitment. But I just started it in Feb, 2010. So a new 24 month commitment would not be much change. And in my building, I have to go with either TW or DTV.

Sry- I have a two year commitment. But I just started it in Feb, 2010. So a new 24 month commitment would not be much change. And in my building, I have to go with either TW or DTV.

Good, so your commitment wont make much difference, much like mine when I get my other one soon. :)

Good, so your commitment wont make much difference, much like mine when I get my other one soon. :)

Is there anything else I need to consider here ya think or am I good to pull the trigger on that Newegg link for the HR24? Besides the improved performance (which should be easy to do) are there any other good things like the new VIP922 from Dish has going for it? I saw the 922 in action at the last CES and was impressed. There was no DTV presense there that I know of, so I did not see the HR24 previewed.

How do I go about this. I think my 2 year commitment is actually up but not sure. If I want to get a 24 do I buy it watch off everything on my old dvr then hook up the new one and call DTV to switch it or is it more complicated.

How do I go about this. I think my 2 year commitment is actually up but not sure. If I want to get a 24 do I buy it watch off everything on my old dvr then hook up the new one and call DTV to switch it or is it more complicated.

Dude, you've been around as this forums as long as I have and have about as many posts- could you kindly at least get a semi-offensive avatar for yourself?

Makes me glad I turned off the avatars a while back when I got tired of all the excessively animated ones. Should I even look?

Just to throw a little cold water on the fanboy parade, unless your receiver is defective and somehow directv replaces it with an HR24 or on even longer odds gives you a credit to buy your own and doesnt randomly decide to give you a contract extension, you're going to get a new 24 month contract when you buy and activate the hr24.

Otherwise you can make up any song and dance you want, but 95% of the time you'll have to buy the boxes and accept the new commitment.

While I greatly respect all the good things that directv has brought out in the software over the last year, and the effort to make the HR24 to make it speedy, there are other vendors who have put together a similar, or better, feature set that runs well on hardware comparable to the HR20/21/22/23 series.

So I'm not quite ready to clap them on the back for putting out less efficient code, then cranking out a box that runs it reasonably well that would cost me almost $400 and a new 2 year commitment to obtain. Especially for what I'm paying a month.

I would go ahead and order it, catch up with your recorded stuff and then activate.
Your other option would be to activate it and KEEP the other one active till your done watching your shows and then turn it off, it only cost you $ 5 more a month while they are both active.

But I am desperate so I might take the plunge since I have to go with either DTV or cable.

It's all relative. The DVRs Comcast offers in this area are appallingly horrible. Slow, the interface looks like its from the 1970s, not enough space, the timing is always off and the last minute gets cut off of your program, and so on.

DirecTV's DVR may not be as good as Dish Network's (I've never had Dish, but I believe what I read here), but it is miles ahead of my experiences with cable.

Makes me glad I turned off the avatars a while back when I got tired of all the excessively animated ones. Should I even look?

Just to throw a little cold water on the fanboy parade, unless your receiver is defective and somehow directv replaces it with an HR24 or on even longer odds gives you a credit to buy your own and doesnt randomly decide to give you a contract extension, you're going to get a new 24 month contract when you buy and activate the hr24.

Otherwise you can make up any song and dance you want, but 95% of the time you'll have to buy the boxes and accept the new commitment.

While I greatly respect all the good things that directv has brought out in the software over the last year, and the effort to make the HR24 to make it speedy, there are other vendors who have put together a similar, or better, feature set that runs well on hardware comparable to the HR20/21/22/23 series.

So I'm not quite ready to clap them on the back for putting out less efficient code, then cranking out a box that runs it reasonably well that would cost me almost $400 and a new 2 year commitment to obtain. Especially for what I'm paying a month.

I agree with most of what your saying here ...

Anyone adding a HR24 is going to more than likely have a new 2 year commitment.
Theere are many here that the 2 year commit is not a big deal, I'm one of them,others like to move around and Yes that could be a deterrent.

Why would a HR24 cost you $ 400 ?

LOL, happy now? Avatars just never were a big deal to me. Anyway since I like to ask stupid questions it should fit :)

EDIT: As to the whole "add another 2 years" issue thats really not a big deal for me as I'm fairly certain DTV is where I'm going to stay. I have tried a bunch of services over the years and ended up coming back to DTV some time ago. When I moved into this house 16 yrs ago we had DTV. When I first got my HD TV I gave Voom a shot and it promptly went out of business. Then Dish convinced me to give them a shot and was always having problems and got tired of loosing sat signal etc. Then gave Comcast a try for a bit after that and they were a pain and never was happy with the service. Finally went back to DTV, initially with an HR-20 that actually worked pretty well. Then when it was acting up they swapped it out for one of the HR-22's Its okay and I think better than the 20, other than my having to go and buy the darn antenna box for it (AM-21 or whatever its called) but its still lacking. If I can get them to swap for free great, if I have to buy one then will still most likely do it.

Jimbo, a question. You mentioned buying it, hooking it up and just paying an extra 5 for a month or so till I get everything off of it. That sounds doable but not sure on how the wiring would work. I am really tempted to get one and not sure with how things are wired now on how to add it into the current system. Could you PM me so we don't clutter up this thread more?

Last edited:
Any luck finding a AM 21 there Rey ?

I have an AM 21 in my garage sale this weekend for $15. You would be surprised at how many Directv customers have NO CLUE what this thing is. We now get all of our locals in HD (they out of no where just added the last one we were waiting on, FOX HD--which is what I was using this thing for). We'll see if it sells.:confused:

Okay just got off the phone and think I'm set. She said if I would do the multi-room deal then get the 24. Actually she said they might replace my 22 with a 24 as well. If they do I lose some series recordings but will have 2 HR-24's and she said afterwards could just send one back. Plus, since I was long term customer she set me up with $10 a month off for 12 months since I'm doing a new commitment so cost to have 2 boxes that can record 4 things at once adds $8 to my bill but I get $10 off for 1 year and only going to get billed the $99 for one new box and may get a 2nd for free.

In some ways the 22 was a step up and a step back. It didn't give me as much trouble with 721 and losing signal issues as the 20 I had but it did do away with my built in OTA. I ended up buying an AM-21 from DTV for I think $25 to solve that issue.

One question tho, the HR24 has built in OTA right? Or will I need to hold onto my AM-21?

I win, I think this time....

Oh and PPS is there still any sort of referals thread around here? I would dearly love to help someone else, and my self too, to some of those Benji's DTV is always talking about

I agree with most of what your saying here ...

Anyone adding a HR24 is going to more than likely have a new 2 year commitment.
Theere are many here that the 2 year commit is not a big deal, I'm one of them,others like to move around and Yes that could be a deterrent.

Why would a HR24 cost you $ 400 ?

Because I'd have to buy two of them.

The big problem I have with long term commits is A) I've already been a customer for most of the last 15 years and paid more than enough to cover the cost of all the equipment I've ever used, B) I dont have the build cost of the HR24, but I'm betting its less than $200, C) I dont like being locked in while the vendor is free to change channel packages, charge me extra for pedestrian features or raise my bill when they see fit.

So in short, I've already 'paid my dues', I'm not incurring any sort of cost to them by adding receivers, and if I have a better option for tv or directv pisses me off, I'd like the ability to take my business elsewhere.

Directv doesnt want to worry about the competition or bad customer service, which is why they want to slap a 2 year contract on you every time you sneeze.

LOL, happy now? Avatars just never were a big deal to me. Anyway since I like to ask stupid questions it should fit :)

Much better yes! HAha!

Btw, we have the same JVC TV. Love that old H-DILA but it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. Still produces a nice pic though with just a twinge of green push.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)