Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
[h=2]DIRECTV Announces Second Quarter 2012 Results[/h]
DIRECTV Latin America Increases Net Additions 37% to All-time Record 645,000 Surpassing the 9 Million Cumulative Subscriber Mark
DIRECTV Revenues Grow 9% to $7.22 Billion

• Increase driven by strong DIRECTV Latin America subscriber growth coupled with 4.2% higher ARPU at DIRECTV U.S.
Operating Profit before Depreciation and Amortization Increases 9% to $2.01 Billion and Operating Profit Grows 15% to $1.41 Billion

• Growth driven by DIRECTV U.S.'s 10% increase in operating profit before depreciation and amortization to $1.59 billion and 20% increase in operating profit to$1.22 billion.
DIRECTV's Diluted Earnings per Share Rise 20% and Stock Repurchases Total $1.35 Billion in the Quarter
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) today reported an increase in second quarter 2012 revenues of 9% to $7.22 billion, operating profit before depreciation and amortization[SUP]1[/SUP] (OPBDA) of 9% to $2.01 billion and operating profit of 15% to $1.41 billion compared to last year's second quarter. DIRECTV reported that second quarter net income increased 1% to $711 million and diluted earnings per share grew 20% to $1.09 compared with the same period last year.
"DIRECTV's strong second quarter consolidated results reflect the unique benefits from our diversified portfolio of businesses which are driving industry leading top-line and bottom-line results," said Mike White, president and CEO of DIRECTV. "DIRECTV Latin America's results demonstrate our competitive advantages in a rapidly growing market by achieving an all-time record of 645,000 net additions and 20% revenue growth in the quarter even with currency headwinds. In addition, DIRECTV U.S. delivered the highest operating profit before depreciation and amortization growth in two years accelerating to 10%, an early indication of successfully executing on our long term strategy of striking a more optimal balance between growth and profitability. Also by leveraging the achievements of both DIRECTV Latin America and DIRECTV U.S. with the continuation of our share repurchase program, earnings per share increased by 20% in the quarter."

DIRECTV - DIRECTV Announces Second Quarter 2012 Results

I agree, Im not knocking it, I personally am only concerned how they do here. Especially when folks start ranting about our lack of HD channels. Regardless of what certain folks think, they arent doing bad in NA.

Seems like every cable system is also losing subs... Perhaps one day they will figure out that raising prices every year is too much.

Wow, the second quarter is always the toughest for TV providers, but their first ever losing quarter for US subs.

I know Viacom would be a hit to their results, but didn't think they would end up in the negative. Stock took a tough 2.5% drop today.

jcrandall said:
Wow, the second quarter is always the toughest for TV providers, but their first ever losing quarter for US subs.

I know Viacom would be a hit to their results, but didn't think they would end up in the negative. Stock took a tough 2.5% drop today.

Viacom didn't factor into the 2nd quarter. Dispute started a week into the 3rd quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I hope that their subscriber loss continues. Maybe eventually they will get the message that they are just too darned expensive and lower their prices and/or add more HD channels.

I wonder if the big subscriber loss had to due with the Viacom Channels being blacked out. I know nickeloden is one of the most popular channels to kids and most parents might of switched to get the channels back instaed of waiting for it to end. I also heard Time Warner Cable also posted loses and they were in a blackout with Hearst Broadcasting. So I am thinking that the loses might have been contributed to the broadcaster blackouts.

It must be something Directv is doing becuase that is an awfuly high subscriber loss. My guess would be either bad customer service and or programming choices. Those are the two big things that can make people stay or switch to another TV Provider. 52K is a big loss.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts