rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Saw message on my C61K that said an app is now available for the boxes. Put it on my Apple TV and now watching TV. Nice option for places where I want DIRECTV for occasional use but don’t want to pay the monthly box fee.

Thanks for heads-up. I installed it on Apple TV and it works great. Pleased to see that the news and sports channels are streaming in 60 fps — very smooth motion, as good as watching the DVR.

Not all channels are available. Plus, you can record shows but only watch them on the server. I do like it having it in a bedroom and saving the monthly fee. I hope they add the rest of the channels later and add it to Google TV.

Just downloaded to all my roku devices yesterday. It has most all of my regular channels and what I'm guessing is a free preview of the premiums. App works great so far

Not all channels are available. Plus, you can record shows but only watch them on the server. I do like it having it in a bedroom and saving the monthly fee. I hope they add the rest of the channels later and add it to Google TV.
Same here. I have an Apple TV in some rooms that don’t have DirecTV boxes, so this makes a nice addition at no extra cost.

So, this is D* Sat service on the App and not the D* Stream ?

When I asked about this same thing awhile back, I was told that it was the Stream and Yes I would be charged if I used it.

I would like to be able to use it on my Roku, if I don't have to pay another sub on it.

IF it Is the Stream side of things, does that mean they finally decided to give it to D* subs Free ???

Need some clarity before I sign up.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco

When I asked about this same thing awhile back, I was told that it was the Stream and Yes I would be charged if I used it.

I would like to be able to use it on my Roku, if I don't have to pay another sub on it.

IF it Is the Stream side of things, does that mean they finally decided to give it to D* subs Free ???

This and the Directv Stream app and package are two different things.

Reactions: Jimbo

Well, I didn’t sign up for stream, just authenticated with my AT&T login and it worked. I know it’s looking at my Genie since it knows what I’ve recorded and if I say to record something on the app it’s recording on the GENIE.

Reactions: Mr Tony and Jimbo
I also have the premium channels in my directv app on my phone now. Anyone else getting the free premiums?
I'm getting them. I wonder why they just don't have all the channels that come in your package? On the APP it said we had the XTRA package. Also wish the APP had the ability to record and playback from the HR-54. Right now, it's just record, and you have to watch it on the HR-54.

This and the Directv Stream app and package are two different things.
No, same app now, at least on Apple TV. The app is just called "DIRECTV" and it can be used with either the Satellite or the Stream service. If you're a Stream customer, you will have cloud DVR in the app. (Unlimited storage, unlimited simultaneous recordings, but recordings auto-delete after 9 months and you're limited to 30 recorded episodes per series.)

If you're a Satellite customer, you'll only be able to set up DVR recordings, which will then record on your Genie DVR. But I've read that you'll also see a list of what's recorded on the Genie in the app but you won't be able to playback those recordings in the app, only stream the VOD version if available.

So basically, if you're on Satellite and you have a TV where you'd like to watch live channels plus VOD, but you don't need DVR playback there, you can save $7/mo by just using this app rather than renting a Genie or Genie Mini for that TV.

did directv just add a feature that dish does not have?
thats great
Does Dish have the function where if you lose the satellite signal it will allow you to continue to stream the channel via internet on your DVR (has to be a Genie)?

Does Dish have the function where if you lose the satellite signal it will allow you to continue to stream the channel via internet on your DVR (has to be a Genie)?
no clue, directv just added that too? i left in october for dtv stream

Very nice to have in bad weather. Only problem is it is very hard to navigate.
If you have a Genie and it's internet connected they've added a function where if you lose the signal it will ask if you want to continue to watch via streaming, no need for the app for that reason

Reactions: Jimbo
I also have the premium channels in my directv app on my phone now. Anyone else getting the free premiums?
Yes. I have an unusual package (landlord pays the bill, its somewhat like the “Choice” package, but has some different channels in or out) but the app gets me more regular channels and all the premiums.