Status
Please reply by conversation.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Just making sure I'm ready to make the jump. Currently with Dish, I have 3 RG6 cables running from the dish to a switch to feed the receiver. I need to know if I need to run a 4th RG6 to the switch for a SWM8 switch.

Why not let the installer run it? I ran these 3 cables and they can barely be seen from outside. I hid them pretty well and I would like to keep it that way. Plus, Directv uses white RG6 cable which I dislike. I will be getting the core programming, spanish programming and HD. I will be getting 1 HD-DVR, 1 SD-DVR, 2 HD receivers, and 2 SD receiver for a total of 8 tuners.

Can they install the AU9-S-SWM-B-PWS Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish (sorry for the long name) and just run one cable inside to an 8 way splitter? or can they install the same dish and use two of the lines to 2 4 way splitter? or will they install a 5 LNB dish and run 4 cables to a SWM8?

Just learning how Directv dishes and switches work now. :)

With the SWM dish, only one cable will be used and you can use a splitter inside (you will also need a power inserter ). Non-SWM dishes will feed one cable for each tuner (or to a multiswitch if there are more than 4 tuners). They don't usually install SWM8s, but use SWM16s (with non-SWM LNBs) for more than 8 tuners. With SWM, only one cable is required for a DVR (there is an internal splitter to feed both tuners).

As for the white coax, that must be what the guy had on the truck at the time, I've never had white coax run, but it would be a GREAT thing for me as my siding is white !

The majority of the time it's Black coax RG6

White coax seems to be the norm around here for Directv. When I had Dish installed, the installer was a Directv installer too and he also used white coax. I replaced them all with black coax.

Thank you Bob, that's what I understood from my research. I hope the installer uses a SWM dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts