Expanded Six-Channel HD Package of ESPN and CBS Coverage Includes Extra Featured Group Channel, Extended Hours of Coverage and 24-hour Interactivity — Only on DIRECTVEL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV has stepped up its game for the 2011 Masters Tournament, offering viewers more coverage than ever before with two new channels — including a second "featured group" channel — and extended hours of coverage.
The DIRECTV interactive television application also aims for the pin with expanded player stats, on-demand links directly to the previous day's highlights and a spectacular video tour of every hole of the stunning Augusta National Golf Club.
DIRECTV will lead into Tournament coverage, which begins April 7 and runs through April 10, with a series of broadcasts of the 2010 Official Masters film (premiering March 31) and the 2011 Masters Preview show (debuting April 3) on its exclusive The 101® Network, along with all video highlights and a course tour on DIRECTV On Demand. DIRECTV will also air 3D coverage from all days of the Tournament on ESPN 3D (Channel 106). For details on all Masters Tournament coverage, visit www.directv.com/masters.
"We're excited that the Masters has given us another opportunity to thrill golf fans with the most interactive and immersive TV viewing experience ever," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV. "For our new ‘Masters Mosaic' we've enhanced the most popular features, like the Mix Channel, ‘featured group' and player stats to give fans an unforgettable four days of watching golf's most prestigious tournament."
DIRECTV's Masters Mosaic (channels 701-707) combines ESPN's and CBS Sports' live coverage of the Tournament with interactive links to more video, scores and stats that offer golf fans the best way to follow all the action.
And for the first time, DIRECTV's interactive application will be available 24 hours a day so fans can keep track of the Leader Board and players' scorecards anytime they want during the 72-hole tournament.
New features this year include:
- The Masters Mix Channel — sports a new design and fresh graphics, and has two more channels that will offer fans six views of the Tournament: the main ESPN/CBS feed; two featured group channels; Amen Corner; holes 15 and 16; and "Masters in Depth," along with a continuously running leader board featuring live tee times, scoring and leaders' locations on the course.
- Additional Featured Group Channel —lets viewers "walk the course" each day with more of the world's best golfers as they vie for the coveted green jacket. Every extra channel of coverage will be fully produced with its own announcers.
- Masters In-depth Channel — enhanced this year with a live broadcast featuring exclusive interviews with players, live updates of rounds in progress and press room cut-ins.
- Expanded coverage —DIRECTV and ESPN viewers will receive a bonus hour of coverage on Thursday and Friday.
- Player stats — available on demand and shows how each player is performing against the course and the field, including greens hit in regulation, driving distance and putting average.
DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is the world's largest pay TV provider delivering the premiere video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry leading customer service to more than 28 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 19.2 million customers access to more than 160 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound (when available), access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, award winning technology like its DIRECTV® DVR Scheduler and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for ten years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to 9 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 65 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please call 1-800-DIRECTV or visit directv.com.