DirecTV called to Upgrade my 10-250..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BlackWolf 2000

Original poster
May 23, 2008
Heys guys,

Been lurking around for a while... great info. here..

First post:
I have a 10-250 Tivo that I love and a 3 lnb dish. I have had these for around 3 years. Directv called me the other day to upgrade to the 5lnb and the hr-21 DVR.

I have read the horror stories about the hr-21. Should I upgrade now or wait for either my Tivo to die or a better HD DVR comes along from Directv? They said all of the equipment and labor would be free.

I don't really care about the new HD channels (yet- I am waiting for more HD content on those HD channels). Also, I get my OTA channels flawlessly (I live 3 miles from the major digital TV tower). I ain't ready to give that up yet either. How is the quality of local (my case Raleigh, NC) HD channels on the new dish?

Lastly, Dircetv also told me the NFL Sunday Ticket would only be on the newer dish. So I would have to upgrade to continue to get this.

Thanks

Jeff

Personally, I say get it done.

I can say that I have two HR21's, and have never had an issue with either one of them. You may have read some horror stories about the new receivers, but that's because people come to forums most often to complain, not to sing praises.

Just remember that the Tivo and D* boxes are different. They each have different features, some better than others. Personally, the only feature I dearly miss from Tivo is the dual live buffers. There is a work-around with the D* receiver, although I'm not a big fan of it. I have simply changed my viewing habits - I don't do nearly as much channel surfing while flipping back and forth between tuners (I'm sure the gf actually prefers that :D).

The D* receivers do offer a lot that Tivo did not. Most notably is obviously all the extra HD channels, which in my eyes is reason enough to upgrade. The remote scheduling is also very handy. Many of the menus are much faster than the Tivo - I didn't realize how long the delay on Tivo was for some options until I got the D* box.

Bottom line - both record programs to play back later and allow you to watch TV. Some of the features may vary between the two from there. But IMHO, you bought an HDTV to watch HD - the HR21 offers significantly more HD content. (and you can get the AM21 if you need OTA)

And as you also noted, if you want Sunday Ticket you don't have a choice.

Yeah, get it done. All you guys that haven't upgraded are slowing us down! The HR20 and HR21 problems has been mostly resolved. Id say its now about 95% complete.

Yeah, get it done. All you guys that haven't upgraded are slowing us down! The HR20 and HR21 problems has been mostly resolved. Id say its now about 95% complete.

Excuse my ignorance but why would customers with the older equipment be slowing you down?

Directv is trying to switch everything over to MPEG4 this will eventually include SD channels but this switch is based on of fast everyone upgrade to the newest technology. In other words, those with older equipment is slowing down the progress to the newest technology. For example, all new HD channels are MPEG4 but those channels in the 70's are still MPEG2, which takes up alot of satellite transponder space. Those channels are still there because some customers like yourself have not upgraded all their HD equipment. When this is done progress can be made.

If you really have to keep the TiVo, then adjust to the fact the only HD you'll be receiving and recording is over-the-air. Personally, if I'm going to pay the $9.99/mo. HD Access fee, I want ALL the HD content available. Plus the MPEG 4 channels look much better than the MPEG 2 the HR10-250 receives.

If you must have TiVo and more HD than just over-the-air, then you're looking at the TiVo HD or S3 with Cable or FIOS, if you're lucky. But, I'm with Smithkd in that I want the full transition to MPEG 4 ASAP.

If you really have to keep the TiVo, then adjust to the fact the only HD you'll be receiving and recording is over-the-air. Personally, if I'm going to pay the $9.99/mo. HD Access fee, I want ALL the HD content available. Plus the MPEG 4 channels look much better than the MPEG 2 the HR10-250 receives.

If you must have TiVo and more HD than just over-the-air, then you're looking at the TiVo HD or S3 with Cable or FIOS, if you're lucky. But, I'm with Smithkd in that I want the full transition to MPEG 4 ASAP.

My biggest hangup was with the dependability and usability of the HR-21. I am definitly all for more HD.

My biggest hangup was with the dependability and usability of the HR-21. I am definitly all for more HD.
Obviously you've seen reports otherwise from others, but I can report from my personal experience that there has not been one single dependability issue on two HR21's and one HR20. Go into it realizing they're different. It isn't Tivo, so get that in your head before you ever see the new box. I like some things better (most importantly a lot more HD!), and liked a few things better on Tivo. But I can still watch and record. The differences (both positive and negative) are minor in my book.

I did love Tivo, and am by no means a D* apologist - I just don't let myself get worked up over a few feature differences. When I get a new phone, there are differences. When I get a new TV or DVD player, there are differences. Some I like, others I don't. But I move on... Just enjoy all the HD!!! :D (may DLB rest in peace ;) )

I'm using an HR20-700 and I don't want to say it's been issue-free, but after the first unit went belly up in late Oct. 2006, the replacement has been rock solid. I did have techs do a follow up to my home after the first one failed. They did some tweaking to the lines running from the dish, so I don't know if that's why the first unit failed.

Fact is, you only see people post when they have issues, and despite the reputation TiVo has for being flawless, I've had the DVR-80 frequently reboot and I've found the HR10-250 comatose twice.

There is no perfect machine, only one that fits you best. I've used TiVo since Oct. 2000 and I've owned both integrated and standalone units. I like the platform, but I don't see any reason to limit myself to just one because there are some things I like about TiVo, but there are also features on the other platforms I like as well.

We got offered the same deal to upgrade to a 5-lnb dish and a free HR20. We already had the 5-lnb dish when we moved into our new house, but DirecTV hadn't updated their records (old house had 3-lnb dish). I kept the old HR10-250 active and just moved it to the guest room to replace the standard D-11 receiver that was in there.

I just recently got an HR21 and it's been working fine. A missed recording here or there but that's not any different than I had with my Dish 622. It records 99.99999% of what I ask it to.

Jump in the water is fine.

Yeah, get it done. All you guys that haven't upgraded are slowing us down!

Slowing you down from what?

The HR20 and HR21 problems has been mostly resolved. Id say its now about 95% complete.

Thats about the most rediculous statement I've read here in a long time. 95% ???Where did you get that bit of information anyway? I've just received my 4th...yes my 4th HR2* since Sept. Its the second hard drive failure in an HR20. Oh but wait! Mine is just an isolated incedent right? Get real. This last time around I finally got CS to admit the there are "issues" with the HR series. Are there good ones? YES. But there are alot of bad ones too. Now, my latest replacement turns out to be an HR21. No OTA support. Unless I purchase their AM21 add-on for 50 bux more. What a ripoff.

Thats about the most rediculous statement I've read here in a long time. 95% ???Where did you get that bit of information anyway? I've just received my 4th...yes my 4th HR2* since Sept. Its the second hard drive failure in an HR20. Oh but wait! Mine is just an isolated incedent right? Get real. This last time around I finally got CS to admit the there are "issues" with the HR series. Are there good ones? YES. But there are alot of bad ones too. Now, my latest replacement turns out to be an HR21. No OTA support. Unless I purchase their AM21 add-on for 50 bux more. What a ripoff.
I can only speak from personal experience, but I have one HR20 and two HR21's, and have never had a single issue with either. No unexpected reboots, no missed recordings, etc.

Not claiming there aren't issues out there by any means - obviously there are. And I'm far from an HR2* apologist by any means. But everyone is not experiencing problems - sorry to hear about yours. That's normally the luck that we have, so I'm surprised we're not on the other side of the coin.

Well, I got the HR21 and another HD receiver (for my bedroom) hooked up today. I have to admit, so far it is pretty nice. I love the new HD channels and have already watched 3 shows on Smithsonian HD. Maybe it is just me but I swear the HD looks better with the HR21 than to 10-250. It isn't as user friendly as the TIVO but has some pretty neat features that the TIVO didn't.

Just wanted to admit- It has only been a day- but I like the HR21.

It all comes down to how flexible you are, your willingness to try and learn a new platform, and the quality of the install. As a DVR enthusiast, I've found no reason to limit myself to one platform.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)