directv.com changes

Yeah, basically they replaced it with the stream interface, so now it hogs resources by loading and buffering the last channel you streamed via the app, even if you only want to quickly view the guide to set a remote recording.

And many of the satellite only functions are now missing, like the ability to order PPV online so it will appear on all of your receivers or specify a different payment method instead of billing it to your account, you can no longer see all channels, just the channels it thinks are part of your package, and it doesn't display PPV/Adult, Out of market sports, or Music Choice channels at all, a bunch of the VOD only channels are missing too.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
Finally I can stream on my computer. Previously you needed to install some video guard crap that didn’t work. They updated and now have the Apple TV/iOS UI for their website. I think it looks and works great. Very welcome changes from directv lately!

Yeah...but there's a lot of issues, both on and under the hood, see KyL416's quoted post below:
Like I guessed, it's now impossible to order a PPV online so it will appear on all of your receivers, or specify a different payment method for the PPV instead of billing it to your account. i.e. try looking for a way to order tonight's AEW Forbidden Door PPV. On the stream/guide page you get a result if you search, but no option to order, while on the main directv.com site no results at all.

It's also now impossible to set remote recordings for channels it doesn't list in the guide (i.e. PPV/Adult, Out of market sports, channels it incorrectly thinks you don't get, etc).

On the plus side, the VOD library seems to be in sync compared to what it was like when the unified app first launched. Like tonight's new episode of Raven's Home appeared at midnight ET on both satellite 1290 and the website. The poster based navigation where everything is in a random order instead of A-Z is still horrible though. Most of the VOD only channels in the 1800s and 1900s like Stingray Karaoke, Common Sense, Anime Network are still missing too.

It's not just an iPhone issue, the site is a bloated mess on desktop too since the moment you visit the site, it loads and buffers the last live channel you streamed in the background (even if you turned off the live TV on launch option) and since it's DRM protected video, it's rendered via software by the DRM library instead of via hardware by your GPU.

It's also impossible to watch in home only channels or view VOD versions of your DVR library via the browser since it doesn't use the plugin the old site used to detect your receivers, and all current browsers prevent internet based pages from communicating with LAN IP addresses. (They really should come out with a native Windows/Xbox and MacOS app that gets around these limitations if they want their online presence to be streaming centric)

On a side note, with web access it was a lot easier to examine the API. I did discover through the thumbnail server that they DO have streams for the out of market national versions of YES and the Bally RSNs on the server but for whatever reason the API still only provides the localized in market feeds. There's also streams for other channels not currently available to stream like the 3 Stadium College Sports channels, MavTV, NHK World, FETV, Outdoor Channel and MLB Strike Zone, and the stream for AMC+'s Walking Dead Channel is still live even though it was dropped from satellite in February 2022. Also I got to see what the Padres and Strike Zone look like when there's nothing airing, along with what's currently showing on the REDS feed that almost had to go live a few months ago. EDIT: I also threw in the 2 channels that are currently internet/stream only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts