DirecTV Communications to Customers...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Locals-in-HD

Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
I sent the text of the following post to three DirecTV marketing/communications people (VP, Director, Manager) yesterday:

"I continue to be absolutely amazed and totally frustrated with your ability to communicate your plan and schedule for MPEG-4 HD local and national roll-out. Why does your own website not have this information prominently displayed with the EXACT SCHEDULE for the first 12 cities, where to pre-order the equipment, and how to get an installer scheduled?

If it were not for the SolidSignal website announcing the availability in Detroit, as well as the equipment and prices, I wouldn't know anything.

There are TENS of THOUSANDS of people like me who want to get the new equipment on order, and get it installed BEFORE THE WINTER hits and the roof is covered with ice and snow. Have you ever even considered this? We want to spend money to get YOUR equipment and YOUR services, yet you keep us totally in the dark.

Your customer service reps say, "We haven't been told."

I realize that the phase-in of the HD channels is a challenge in terms of the infrastructure necessary to uplink them all, and its not as though I want to hold you to a specific date, its just that some of us like to plan things in advance. For example, I am building a new house that I want to put the dish on NOW, but you won't even let me buy it! The satellite is on orbit, there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to order it and get installed on my two houses, pending the turn-on of channels for the Washington DC area.

Can I STRONGLY suggest that you update your website, with a Local Channels in HD headline, lay out the schedule, talk about pre-ordering and satisfy your loyal customers—but apparently unappreciated by the company.

So, when WILL local channels be available in Washington, DC???

And, how about a real date for the availability of an MPEG-4 HD DVR, with a date more-specific than 2006!

I look forward to your reply, and equally as importantly, a major update to your website."

I can certainly appreciate your frustration and concern.

As a manufacturer's representative, I would encourage you to understand the situation from a perspective OUTSIDE of your elevated emotional situation right now.

1. DIRECTV is trying to roll out new product, manufacture and import is not in their control.

2. Manufacturers need to get the equipment to the distributors (DSI and Perfect 10) and make it available to the retailers.

3. DIRECTV is testing every wave-form, every signal strength, every CSR on these systems right now. Have you even HEARD of an announcement from another provider about this aggressive of a programming launch?

4. Would you be happy if DIRECTV said that locals would launch on a specific date and they then had to move that date due to technical, infrastructure, import, manufacture or other outside circumstances? I think judging by your post here, that you would be woefully unhappy and even more livid than your current situation.

Try not to think this is a personal affront to you and your desires for HDTV locals. This is a massive undertaking for DIRECTV, the installation network, the retailers, the distributors and the end-users. NONE of us benefit from keeping secrets or keeping the equipment in the barn. I work strictly on a commission basis, and DIRECTV makes up about 40-50% of my income.

Keep your head up and please, try to be patient for this to be done the RIGHT way the first time for you.

Locals-in-HD said:
I sent the text of the following post to three DirecTV marketing/communications people (VP, Director, Manager) yesterday:

"I continue to be absolutely amazed and totally frustrated with your ability to communicate your plan and schedule for MPEG-4 HD local and national roll-out. Why does your own website not have this information prominently displayed with the EXACT SCHEDULE for the first 12 cities, where to pre-order the equipment, and how to get an installer scheduled?

If it were not for the SolidSignal website announcing the availability in Detroit, as well as the equipment and prices, I wouldn't know anything.

There are TENS of THOUSANDS of people like me who want to get the new equipment on order, and get it installed BEFORE THE WINTER hits and the roof is covered with ice and snow. Have you ever even considered this? We want to spend money to get YOUR equipment and YOUR services, yet you keep us totally in the dark.

Your customer service reps say, "We haven't been told."

I realize that the phase-in of the HD channels is a challenge in terms of the infrastructure necessary to uplink them all, and its not as though I want to hold you to a specific date, its just that some of us like to plan things in advance. For example, I am building a new house that I want to put the dish on NOW, but you won't even let me buy it! The satellite is on orbit, there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to order it and get installed on my two houses, pending the turn-on of channels for the Washington DC area.

Can I STRONGLY suggest that you update your website, with a Local Channels in HD headline, lay out the schedule, talk about pre-ordering and satisfy your loyal customers—but apparently unappreciated by the company.

So, when WILL local channels be available in Washington, DC???

And, how about a real date for the availability of an MPEG-4 HD DVR, with a date more-specific than 2006!

I look forward to your reply, and equally as importantly, a major update to your website."

Directv is not in the business of satisfying customers at all...

They are in the business of taking peoples money, setting them up with a ridiculous commitment that is only mentioned in the fine print of their contract,and then bending you over as far as possible when something goes wrong..

They have never bothered to communicate anything to their customers, and they never will..

They have some of the worst customer service of any company you will find anywhere, and they always will...

Your points are good ones! And I don't want to have DirecTV say that locals in Washington DC will be available on 15 December at midnight, as much as identify the general sequence, and the period over which the sequence will be executed. For example, if I knew that WDC was last on the list, AND the plan was to have the first dozen cities activated by July 2006, I might make a different decision about equipment purchase and installation than if they said WDC was NEXT, and will have service (and availability of equipment) by 1 December.

IMHO, there is no substitute for keeping current customers informed--if only of a broad plan. For example, why not send a letter to all current customers, in the first 12 cities and offer them both information and deals.

I am a realist on the complications of launching two satellites, activating them, uplinking 1500+ channels, etc, as I am in the space industry myself! My points were about communications to customers--customer relationship management, if you will--not the technical details.

Keep us informed, and we will be patient.

I agree that DirecTV could provide a little more information. I know that this is a huge undertaking. But I'm sure they have a schedule plan and aren't just going willy-nilly about getting it done. Now I don't think the general public needs details about that schedule. But a general overview would be nice. By providing a general schedule I'm sure they'll receive some criticism if they fall behind. But I think overall it'd be less.

-JustBob

Oh boy! I see that once again Guffy has added his words of wisdom. Yup, I think that D* is not keeping us as informed as they ought to but one thing that I know is that the few of us, even if it is 10s of thousands that actually look at these boards and pay attention this much are still way in the minority. Fact is that everyone else that I know that has D*, SD or HD, kinda just sit and enjoy what they have. They don't have to be the first and they are not looking for constant updates. Hey, I'm with you JustBob but I am starting to think the others are a happier group. Maybe the "we will get it when we get it" attitude is healthier. As for you Guffy, I don't think your comment had anything to do with Bob's statement. Seems you just troll through the D* forums (why, I have no idea) just to get in a barb here and there. Does no one any good and I wonder for a guy that hates D* so much why you would spend time looking at the forums constantly. OK I am being polite. I really don't want to hear it anymore.

FlyingJ said:
As for you Guffy, I don't think your comment had anything to do with Bob's statement. Seems you just troll through the D* forums (why, I have no idea) just to get in a barb here and there. Does no one any good and I wonder for a guy that hates D* so much why you would spend time looking at the forums constantly. OK I am being polite. I really don't want to hear it anymore.

Too bad.....

Go away if you dont like it :)

Same response I get from my 8 year old sometimes. But, alas, I think I will stick around, he ought to grow up some day.

Lets see. A company that doesn't know when it's product is coming out. Doesn't advertise or keep its customers informed. Has no information on its web site, its customer support staff has no information or sometimes guesses or gives bad information. Sounds like a good company to me.

Or Lets see, a company that has been burned in the past and knows when it will be doing things but due to customers complaining when things are delayed they decide to wait until everything is in place to make anouncements. Sounds like a smart company to me.

Joewee said:
Lets see. A company that doesn't know when it's product is coming out. Doesn't advertise or keep its customers informed. Has no information on its web site, its customer support staff has no information or sometimes guesses or gives bad information. Sounds like a good company to me.

Let's not forget that D* has competition from E*, cablecos, and soon Verizon and SBC. It is not in the best interests of D* to advertise their deployment schedule just to satisfy the less than 1% of customers who are early adopter enthusiasts.

Imagine you are the marketing officer for Comcast. Wouldn't you love to know what D*'s schedule and technical requirements were for the mpeg-4 rollout? If you knew, you could start preparing a massive anti-D* advertising campaign right away and be ready to counter D*'s HD locals advertising blitz from day one.

D* felt that they had to make this announcement:

"Las Vegas, NV Jan 6, 2005 DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest- growing digital television service provider, announced today that 12 of the nation's largest designated market areas (DMAs) will be among the first to receive DIRECTV-delivered local channels in high-definition (HD) in the second half of this year. "

OK, so schedules can slip, unknown problems can come up, I understand that. But D* was the ones that made this big announcement. D* was the one that were running TV commercials touting this new service earlier this year. Now D*'s back to their typical silence and all we're left with is rumors. The most disturbing rumor was from LonghornXP in thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=108884 where he mentions things like:

I've been hearing the last several weeks that most won't even get the new HD DVR until closer to Christmas of 2006.

and

I'm saying that the Home Media Center might be out in mass amounts before the HD DVR is. Right now the Home Media Center is on schedule for it seems a second quarter release date.

Now again until I've got a little more official word on this don't start jumping the gun. But as it stands now it seems that the suppliers of the HD DVR (the makers of the boxes) haven't been able to pump out as many units as they originally said. This means that they might not even have enough supply to even cover the first 15 markets let alone the first 25 markets and NFL Sunday Ticket customers.

To give you an idea D* was told that they would have enough supply for the first 12 markets by years end but that ain't gonna happen not even with luck. We will have to just wait and see.

I was ready to jump on a R15 and planned on the MPEG4 upgrade as soon as it was available but now I'm not so sure that I will. I'm sure that the R15 will be posponded since I don't want to get into the 2 year commitment then find out that the HD DVR and/or media center will be late and not be able to record MPEG4 channels.

The local Comcast folks are saying that their new Tivo enabled DVR's might be out 1st QTR 2006, if that really happens, and D* continues to have delays, it might be time to give Comcast another shot.

guffy1 said:
Directv is not in the business of satisfying customers at all...
They have some of the worst customer service of any company you will find anywhere, and they always will...

Nope, guffy,1 it must make you livid that DirecTV keeps adding new subs while other providers either lose them steadily or gain them far less quickly.

And those JD Power surveys which year after year place DirecTV at the top for customer service (with the exception of 2004 when Dish edged it out) among large providers must gall you too.

The fact is that DirecTV's customer service, by any objective measure against its competitors, almost always ranks better often significantly. Check out JD Powers. That is a fact.

But facts don't concern you in the slightest. Any mention of DirecTV just gives you a chance to bleat the same old nonsense-- again and again.

Locals in HD, my question is why are you so hot about this when you can get HD DC locals OTA?? Whats so hard about buying a Silver Sensor for less than $30 AND get better pq??? I also agree with Flying J. Guffy1, piss off! Just a thought---Ray

Joewee said:

Its all good with most of the defenders around here..

fredfa said:
Nope, guffy,1 it must make you livid that DirecTV keeps adding new subs while other providers either lose them steadily or gain them far less quickly.

And those JD Power surveys which year after year place DirecTV at the top for customer service (with the exception of 2004 when Dish edged it out) among large providers must gall you too.

The fact is that DirecTV's customer service, by any objective measure against its competitors, almost always ranks better often significantly. Check out JD Powers. That is a fact.

But facts don't concern you in the slightest. Any mention of DirecTV just gives you a chance to bleat the same old nonsense-- again and again.

You need to get out a dictionary and look up the definition of the word fact my friend...

Just because JD Powers said it most defintely does not make it a fact...

Not even close...

Locals-in-HD said:
I sent the text of the following post to three DirecTV marketing/communications people (VP, Director, Manager) yesterday .... I look forward to your reply, and equally as importantly, a major update to your website."

In an effort to pile-on with everyone else, I sent a similar message to D* complaining about the HD locals, missing TNT-HD and slow action. Paraphrasing the response, I got this back. I realize that this isn't completely new info, but shows the D* is at least giving a consistent message.

- "are in discussions with them and we hope to add TNT HD to our lineup soon"
- "we're in constant discussions with program providers to continue adding new channels and programming"
- "We are beginning to roll out local HD programming. We expect to be serving select cities by the end of this year (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa and Washington, D.C.). We will be adding more cities soon after these..."
[My city is in the #15-20 range of the market rankings, I wait.]
- "Our new MPEG-4-capable D* HD DVR is expected to be available sometime in 2006, after we roll out our local HD programming to our first group of cities."

D* customer service isn't very good but none of the companies in residential telecom & TV (broadband, sat/cable, land lines, cell) are going to give you high-end customer service. It's a low margin business with exceptionally high costs -- Would you rather have weak service and a low bill or have really great customer service for your 3 calls a year to the 800# and pay 5-10% more a month? Lower your expectations a bit.

davidrumm said:
Or Lets see, a company that has been burned in the past and knows when it will be doing things but due to customers complaining when things are delayed they decide to wait until everything is in place to make anouncements. Sounds like a smart company to me.

I bet you work for Dave. Your ramblings make no sense, A company that has been burned in the past? By who it's customers? They know when they are going to do things but are waiting? For what? One hand doesn't know what the other is doing there do they. You can tell by the various responses or lack of responses you get when you call customer service. It's obvious that place is a poorly run joke of a company.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)