DIRECTV Cooks the HD Numbers *Article*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Matt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I found this article on TVP on HD programming written by Phillip Swann. Its a good read. I hope this isn't considering spamming in any way. If so, please let me know as I am fairly new to this forum.

Washington, D.C. (August 15, 2008) -- DIRECTV yesterday disappointed many High-Definition customers by adding just four new HD networks.

With the launch of a new satellite last March, many high-def fans were expected more channels, especially such in-demand networks as AMC HD, WGN HD and Fox News HD

Well, I would advise DIRECTV subscribers to just relax. The satcaster will add more HD channels in 2008 -- and sooner than later. Consider yesterday just an appetizer.

However, one thing that was disturbing about DIRECTV's announcement yesterday was that the satcaster claimed it now has 130 HD channels. Before yesterday's launch, DIRECTV said it offered 95 high-def channels.

So, how did it go from 95 to 130 with the addition of just four high-def networks?

The satcaster also converted nine regional sports networks to full-time (24/7) channels and it added 18 PPV HD channels. By DIRECTV's estimation, that brings it to 130.

Even if you count the nine sports channels, the 18 PPV channels and the four high-def networks, that would seem to leave it a few short of 130. But let's give DIRECTV the benefit of the doubt and say its count is correct.

However, here's the real problem:

PPV channels are not channels. If you tune to DIRECTV's channel 144, let's say, to watch The Ruins on PPV HD today, it might not even be on. The satcaster's PPV movies start from 30 minutes to every two hours so if you don't tune in at just the right time, you can't watch the movie. The on-screen message says the movie is not available.

How can that be called a channel? It's not even a "choice" unless you tune in at the right time.

However, DIRECTV now refers to more than 30 different PPV HD slots as 'channels" so it can claim it has 130 HD channels.

Not without coincidence, DIRECTV did this just a week after Verizon's FiOS and Dish Network announced that they now have 100 HD channels. In the ever escalating race to be considered 'The HD Leader,' DIRECTV has cooked the numbers so it can say it has the most high-def channels.

Oddly, DIRECTV has sharply criticized cable TV operators who have said they have more 'HD choices" than satellite because they offer more HD movies and TV shows in their Video on Demand lineups. Cable uses the 'choices' ploy because it has fewer actual channels than satellite.

However, the satcaster has now borrowed from cable's playbook and has begun calling PPV movies "channels" so it can say it has more HD channels than Verizon and Dish Network. (I realize that other TV providers pad their numbers, too, but DIRECTV has been the most vocal about calling out cable on their description of 'HD Choices" as channels.)

But whether it's cable or satellite, 'choices' are not channels.

This is not directed at you, but to me Swann is a putz that always seems to have a ax to grind with DirecTV for whatever reason and almost no really cares about the counts or how they count just as long as the channel or channels they want actually show up online as soon as they humanly can.

This is not directed at you, but to me Swann is a putz that always seems to have a ax to grind with DirecTV for whatever reason and almost no really cares about the counts or how they count just as long as the channel or channels they want actually show up online as soon as they humanly can.
+1

He does seem to ax them quite a bit more than any other provider. I do enjoy reading articles from his site though. I remember reading an article on his site about how his dad had trouble with DirecTV so maybe thats why. At least he said more HD is coming so maybe he knows something that we don't.

The truth is the truth, no matter where it comes from.
What are the "4" that were added, I only know of 2

Swanni is dead right.... The only issue we have with Swannie is when he steals our news as his own instead of giving us credit. If he cited his sources then we wouldnt have an issue. I'm shure Phillip is a good guy, I woulnt mind meeting him.

Swanni is dead right.... The only issue we have with Swannie is when he steals our news as his own instead of giving us credit. If he cited his sources then we wouldnt have an issue. I'm shure Phillip is a good guy, I woulnt mind meeting him.

OT: I am sorry, it is difficult for me to read you posts without using Ralph's voice. :D

He is usually a moron but this time the blind dog has found a bone. HE COULDNT BE MORE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point being made was ALL of them are doing it AND most users at this point could care less how each company is counting as long as the channels they want are up or are going up; so the article in typicle Swanni fashion was too much about nothing, too late in the game and too directed at one company. He should report on actual needed advanced info for a change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts