Directv customer service clueless as usual.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peelpub94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
So this goes back about 3 weeks or so but I wanted to post this to see what everyone thinks about this and just offer some general experience.

Been a D* sub since 1999. Never missed a bill and have always been 'taken care of' when I asked for a deal or a discount.

Just recently I upgraded some ancient SD boxes to the newer SD models so I receive the sports packages on the 700 channels. The ancient boxes were not capable of receiving these channels.

Got the boxes activated and began having issues with receiving the sports packages only on the SD boxes - it was just saying, channel not purchased (721), the HD boxes in my house were all receiving the 700s just fine.

So then I began a 3 day long saga with technical support, which was then escalated to level 2, then escalated to their manager, escalated to some other 'high level' tech and then finally escalated to some 'case manager' where you receive a call back within 3hrs to do more troubleshooting.

In those 3 days, I spoke to probably 6-7 technicians and reps. Some very technical, some average and most if not all were competent in the way they handled the call and spoke. I did get frustrated after doing my 6th 'reset', also did the memory reset by pressing in key commands on the customer support channel with the 'high level tech'. Did A LOT. Was also told because it was the middle of the day, I wasn't supposed to see any of these channels and it should say channel not purchased. I knew this wasn't the case as my HD boxes don't display 721 during mid-day, it's normally just the Directv logo.

So I get a return phone call from the 'case manager' and she tells me, hey can you check your sports package channels on the 700s, sure enough they were on and working. She states, 'for some reason the sports packages you have on your account had the SD channels disabled'. So I politely asked her, "so on your console in front of you, you see an option that has HD enabled and SD enabled specifically for the sports packages"? She said yes, so I politely asked her why any one of the 6 or 7 other 'techs' I spoke with couldn't figure this out. She had zero response for me.

Tell me, was this just a string of bad luck with techs with poor eyes? Or is this the type of sh*t we're to expect?

Last edited:
So this goes back about 3 weeks or so but I wanted to post this to see what everyone thinks about this and just offer some general experience.

Been a D* sub since 1999. Never missed a bill and have always been 'taken care of' when I asked for a deal or a discount.

Just recently I upgraded some ancient SD boxes to the newer SD models so I receive the sports packages on the 700 channels. The ancient boxes were not capable of receiving these channels.

Got the boxes activated and began having issues with receiving the sports packages only on the SD boxes - it was just saying, channel not purchased (721), the HD boxes in my house were all receiving the 700s just fine.

So then I began a 3 day long saga with technical support, which was then escalated to level 2, then escalated to their manager, escalated to some other 'high level' tech and then finally escalated to some 'case manager' where you receive a call back within 3hrs to do more troubleshooting.

In those 3 days, I spoke to probably 6-7 technicians and reps. Some very technical, some average and most if not all were competent in the way they handled the call and spoke. I did get frustrated after doing my 6th 'reset', also did the memory reset by pressing in key commands on the customer support channel with the 'high level tech'. Did A LOT. Was also told because it was the middle of the day, I wasn't supposed to see any of these channels and it should say channel not purchased. I knew this wasn't the case as my HD boxes don't display 721 during mid-day, it's normally just the Directv logo.

So I get a return phone call from the 'case manager' and she tells me, hey can you check your sports package channels on the 700s, sure enough they were on and working. She states, 'for some reason the sports packages you have on your account had the SD channels disabled'. So I politely asked her, "so on your console in front of you, you see an option that has HD enabled and SD enabled specifically for the sports packages"? She said yes, so I politely asked her why any one of the 6 or 7 other 'techs' I spoke with couldn't figure this out. She had zero response for me.

Tell me, was this just a string of bad luck with techs with poor eyes? Or is this the type of sh*t we're to expect?

most of the techs input key words or phrases into a computer & they read off the screen what you need to do ... or check.... the higher level techs know more about the functions of equipment & get deeper into it person to person...sometime just the way something is presented to them or the way they preceive it will make a difference in the verdict....

most of the techs input key words or phrases into a computer & they read off the screen what you need to do ... or check.... the higher level techs know more about the functions of equipment & get deeper into it person to person...sometime just the way something is presented to them or the way they preceive it will make a difference in the verdict....

Based on my experience in that whole saga, I would have to say your analysis is spot on. I guess it's the drawback to an enterprise level call center. It's a challenge for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)