DirecTV dish grounded to meter lug--proper grounding?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thezug

Original poster
May 27, 2013
midwest
Last night lightning must have come through the dish and cable wires and fried our boxes, our tvs, and a receiver.

I went outside to check the connections and saw that the dish is grounded to a meter lug.

Is this proper grounding?

2013-05-27-09.20.jpg

Probably not, but it wouldn't make much difference if you did get hit by lightning. You should ask your local electric inspector what is okay for your area. I would Directv and have them come out too. If the grounding isn't correct, they may cover replacing everything. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Probably not, but it wouldn't make much difference if you did get hit by lightning. You should ask your local electric inspector what is okay for your area. I would Directv and have them come out too. If the grounding isn't correct, they may cover replacing everything. It doesn't hurt to ask.

It's correct. NEC code is what we follow and if the ground wire is covered then we use a lug just like that

If you get a direct lightning hit, there is NO ground that will save your receiver and TV. You should be thankful that your house didn't burn down!

That is a perfectly accepted NEC code ground.

Even if it was not grounded. That is an act of god and Directv nor the installer have any liability. They would not be resposible to replace your tv's or anything else. You need to call your home owners insurance and get the ball rolling.

The bond is good, but hard to tell without other pictures of the dish and ground block......... There should be a messenger wire with green lug at dish to ground block then from ground to meter.

SIG...

That is a perfectly accepted NEC code ground.

Even if it was not grounded. That is an act of god and Directv nor the installer have any liability. They would not be resposible to replace your tv's or anything else. You need to call your home owners insurance and get the ball rolling.

If it's properly grounded then I agree. If not, I'll bet they would rather replace the equipment than have the exposure of a lawsuit for not following the code, especially if it's SOP for the installation company.

If it's properly grounded then I agree. If not, I'll bet they would rather replace the equipment than have the exposure of a lawsuit for not following the code, especially if it's SOP for the installation company.

It's properly grounded with that style of connection, they have been out for years.

Everything looks good to me. Sorry to hear about your electronics however.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last night lightning must have come through the dish and cable wires and fried our boxes, our tvs, and a receiver.

I went outside to check the connections and saw that the dish is grounded to a meter lug.

Is this proper grounding?

View attachment 88135
Yes. That is an acceptable NEC ground.
Look, NOTHING will stop the current of a lightining strike. NOTHING.
The purpose of grounding the system is to disperse any static electricity built up at the antenna. This serves only to lessen the potential of a charge building at the antenna that MAY result in a strike on the antenna itself.
The other purpose is of course to limit the possibility of liability on the part of the installing tech and the satellite provider itself.

Do you work part time for a plaintiff's attorney? Reason I ask is you just opened a can of worms. You are speculating.
Look, that is an acceptable NEC ground. That is the NATIONAL CODE.

There is.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
You homeowners insurance may cover any damage to your home or the contents of your home due to an 'act of God'...
Check with your insurance agent to help you understand the language of your policy.

Call DirecTV, tell them you got hit by lightning and they'll set up a service call. The tech will go through the system and replace any of the direcTV stuff that got damaged (including receivers). It's all covered by the service call. If you have the protection plan, then theres no cost.
Edit: No cost for the Service Call (if you have protection plan).. 49.95 for the service call otherwise (I think)

Call DirecTV, tell them you got hit by lightning and they'll set up a service call. The tech will go through the system and replace any of the direcTV stuff that got damaged (including receivers). It's all covered by the service call. If you have the protection plan, then theres no cost.
Edit: No cost for the Service Call (if you have protection plan).. 49.95 for the service call otherwise (I think)

Have them come out, do not mention the lighting as its not covered under warranty.

Do you work part time for a plaintiff's attorney? Reason I ask is you just opened a can of worms. You are speculating.
Look, that is an acceptable NEC ground. That is the NATIONAL CODE.

A little testy are we? ;)
My point is that IF it wasn't properly grounded, Directv may have some responsibility. My post was the second one in the thread. There have been several installers who have said it's an acceptable ground. Whether or not it meets local codes is up to the local inspector, that's why I suggested the op contact him. Local codes can supersede national ones. My post seemed pretty clear.

I had a similar experience about two weeks ago. I am not sure exactly how the lightning came in, but it messed up about $9,000 worth of electronics in my home media center, and got TV's in my kitchen and bedroom. Messed up all of my network equipment, phone lines, DSL and Exede internet etc... It is hard to say exactly where it came in at, I know that two breakers were thrown when it happened, and it blasted apart the pre-amp power supply for my OTA antenna and the antenna rotator controller. Oddly enough, it just messed up my SWiM 16 switch and one DirecTV receiver, I have the protection plan so there was no cost from DTV, so I can't speak for any cost if you don't have the plan. Needless to say even with a $1,000 deductable it was a homeowners insurance personal property claim.

The NEC is implemented locally, and variations are not uncommon.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A little testy are we? ;)
My point is that IF it wasn't properly grounded, Directv may have some responsibility. My post was the second one in the thread. There have been several installers who have said it's an acceptable ground. Whether or not it meets local codes is up to the local inspector, that's why I suggested the op contact him. Local codes can supersede national ones. My post seemed pretty clear.

There is no IF here. That type of ground meets the specifications of both Directv and Dish.
NO..Local codes CANNOT supersede the NEC. A local ordinance may have in it an additional requirement to a particular code, but MAY NOT supersede or undermine the NEC. That is why there is a NATIONAL code.
You are NOT accurate here.

I did this stuff for 12 years. I held all required certifications and have forgotten more about this stuff than you'll ever know.
You should stand down now.

The NEC is implemented locally, and variations are not uncommon.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Correct. Local codes may not replace or undermine the national code.
In other words. The NEC is the standard. The local code may require additional measures that exceed the national code.
For example. State or national building codes do not require 'hurricane clips' in the roofing structure where rafters tie into the wall framing. Local codes in certain areas require them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)