DirecTV& DishNetwork

N-Tence

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dayton Ohio
I currently have Dish with 2 Hoppers 3’s and several Joey’s. I love it the Hopper’s, DVR and 4 channel split screen. Wife does not want to change. What I dislike is the lack of sports. Bally sports, nfl ticket etc. Is is possible to have both DirecTV and Dish in the same house. My first thought would be no with the conflict of being on the same wiring frequency but don’t really understand all that. Then I saw the Genie 2 for directv and It’s looks like it’s wireless? If it’s really wireless is the coverage terrible? Could I get that and not interfere with Dish? Money is not an issue. Thanks

I currently have Dish with 2 Hoppers 3’s and several Joey’s. I love it the Hopper’s, DVR and 4 channel split screen. Wife does not want to change. What I dislike is the lack of sports. Bally sports, nfl ticket etc. Is is possible to have both DirecTV and Dish in the same house. My first thought would be no with the conflict of being on the same wiring frequency but don’t really understand all that. Then I saw the Genie 2 for directv and It’s looks like it’s wireless? If it’s really wireless is the coverage terrible? Could I get that and not interfere with Dish? Money is not an issue. Thanks
No reason you can't have both --You just can't mix the wiring --Put up a D*tv Dish and it wuill need a RG 6 to a SWM splitter point --and the a Rg6 to which ever room you wish.

You can have a DISH receiver and a D*TV receiver Connected to the same TV using a different TV input or a AVR port for viewing --but you will need independent Rg 6 to feed both.

i had them both briefly at the same time around the beginning of april. just use different inputs. hdmi 1, hdmi 2, etc...

Reactions: wx86
have it installed using separate wiring. hook up the hopper & the genie to the same tv using different inputs.
Yeah I knew it would be different inputs but didn’t like the idea of having new wiring thru whole house. I would need one in basement, ground floor and upstairs. That is why was curious about the genie 2 If they couldn’t share the same wiring.

Get rid of Dish and buy the most expensive DTV package. Don't tell your wife until it's over and done with. She loses nothing.
Thought of that but wanted to explore other options as well. Happy wife, Happy life.
Anyone have any info on the Genie 2? Not sure of the technical name but looks like a server but not clear if everything connects wirelessly or or if it uses some other tech.

If your looking for 4K each STB would have to be wired. But if your NOT looking for 4K only HD then it would be possible run a separate coax from the directv dish to the genie 2 server . Then wireless STBs.

I'm not sure the details of the wireless but I think it's 5Ghz
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thought of that but wanted to explore other options as well. Happy wife, Happy life.
Anyone have any info on the Genie 2? Not sure of the technical name but looks like a server but not clear if everything connects wirelessly or or if it uses some other tech.

the genie 2/HS 17 is a wireless server. it only works with clients and doesnt allow other dvrs on the same system. the clients connect to it wirelessly. it makes its own 5ghz network. the range is pretty good.

there are a boatload of threads regarding the problems with the genie 2. some say its been cleared up & some say it hasnt. im a new directv customer and went with the wired hr54 and 2 clients. so far it works great. i was afraid to go for the genie 2 given all the complaints about it.

the genie 2/HS 17 is a wireless server. it only works with clients and doesnt allow other dvrs on the same system. the clients connect to it wirelessly. it makes its own 5ghz network. the range is pretty good.

there are a boatload of threads regarding the problems with the genie 2. some say its been cleared up & some say it hasnt. im a new directv customer and went with the wired hr54 and 2 clients. so far it works great. i was afraid to go for the genie 2 given all the complaints about it.
Not if you want 4k. Only wired C61k clients show 4k.

So if the Genie 2 is a server and nothing connects directly… I assume that means no 4K if you have the genie 2?
No. You can use the C61k clients to get 4k, but they don't work wirelessly. You have to connect them with RG6 cable. Some other clients can connect wirelessly, but they don't do 4k.

So if the Genie 2 is a server and nothing connects directly… I assume that means no 4K if you have the genie 2?
Assume you have 2 4K tvs and 2 hd tvs. The Genie 2 is wired to the dish. . 2 c61k 4K minis are wired to the dish and connected to the 2 4K TVs . 2 wireless minis are connected to the 2HD TVs. The Genie 2 runs all 4 minis and is the 2Tb DVR. It has 7 tuners and 2 are 4K.

Assume you have 2 4K tvs and 2 hd tvs. The Genie 2 is wired to the dish. . 2 c61k 4K minis are wired to the dish and connected to the 2 4K TVs . 2 wireless minis are connected to the 2HD TVs. The Genie 2 runs all 4 minis and is the 2Tb DVR. It has 7 tuners and 2 are 4K.
Yes, actually have 8 4K TVs but I’d only want 4K on a couple as I know content is limited and for sports I generally only use two of the 8. I guess I could do one wired in basement and the other two I could try wireless. Just curious how well the work wirelessly. Anyone have experience with wireless minis? Other question is related to side by side picture. Dish has multiview which is 4 channels at once. Great for March madness. From what I understand Direct has side by side or two at once. Does that work with the genie 2 or wireless clients?

Yes, actually have 8 4K TVs but I’d only want 4K on a couple as I know content is limited and for sports I generally only use two of the 8. I guess I could do one wired in basement and the other two I could try wireless. Just curious how well the work wirelessly. Anyone have experience with wireless minis? Other question is related to side by side picture. Dish has multiview which is 4 channels at once. Great for March madness. From what I understand Direct has side by side or two at once. Does that work with the genie 2 or wireless clients?
Again, there is no such thing as a wireless 4k client.

The HS-17-(Headless Server) is a SERVER ONLY --as it has NO HDMI port and can NOT connect direct to any TV. You can have 8 Clients --(however) it can Only stream 2 4k SHOWS to 2 locations (WIRED) using a C61K-700 --All hr44 & hr54 Can have a a Wireless Bridge added to them to handle wireless Clients --HS-17 (Has the Wireless Bridge Built in) if needed.

As far as mix channels . You cannot create your own "mix" like dish but DirecTV has many other mix channels

News mix - cnn, fox News, msnbc, BBC world news (during special events they change the feeds like during election had a special election feed, from JCCIC and newsmax)

Sports mix - espn, FS1, nbc sports, cbs sports, NFL network, NBA tv (sometimes changes like for March madness, tennis , golf )

Kids mix- nick East, nick Jr, disney Jr, Disney east, Disney XD, boomerang

*MLB Extra innings mix - 2-8 MLB games on one screen

*Nfl ticket Mix 1- 4 games on 1 screen
*NfL ticket mix 2 - 8 games on 1 screen

*premium sports subscription required

And as noted sometimes special golf and tennis events there will be a mix with the extra feeds from that event .

I wish we could do a custom mix

Yes you can view the mix channels on the wireless boxes. (Genie 2)

My wireless is in the same room as my genie 2 server so no issues .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)