Directv dispute in Utica New York?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't see this one going away, at least nothing to indicate it yet. This just seems to be the standard we will take your channel away article while negotiations are on going in an attempt to pressure DirecTV into paying more. Usually stuff like this gets written well before anything actually happens.

There are false statements in the article...
Here...."As a result, Heartland Media expects DirecTV to discontinue carriage of WKTV at 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 10. This will remove important WKTV NewsChannel 2 news, weather and emergency information from DirecTV subscribers, in addition to the elimination of popular NBC, CBS, and CW programming like The Summer Olympics, The Voice, Sunday Night Football, NCIS, The Flash, and more.
So...this appears to imply that even though the CBS affiliate is the one channel affected, the quote here implies ALL: local affiliates will be affected....I am not familiar with any ownership group holding all licenses to locals in a DMA

There are false statements in the article...
Here...."As a result, Heartland Media expects DirecTV to discontinue carriage of WKTV at 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 10. This will remove important WKTV NewsChannel 2 news, weather and emergency information from DirecTV subscribers, in addition to the elimination of popular NBC, CBS, and CW programming like The Summer Olympics, The Voice, Sunday Night Football, NCIS, The Flash, and more.
So...this appears to imply that even though the CBS affiliate is the one channel affected, the quote here implies ALL: local affiliates will be affected....I am not familiar with any ownership group holding all licenses to locals in a DMA

They are indeed the affiliate for CBS, NBC, and CW. (Along with METV) The contract could be with that one company for those affiliates.

Whatever the case I don't need the particulars I agree with Directv.... :)

its not directv that will remove it, its usually the owner

if the owner wants to stay, they can always enact must carry iirc

This company is apparently quite the bastard. Their latest deal with TWC precluded them from carrying the Binghamton stations to the same customers that get the Utica locals. People who live in central NY are not happy according to my parents, who would be affected by this dispute.

My parents just texted me to complain about this. Asking if they should switch to TWC. They've had a lot of problems with Frontier Internet, so I am tempted to tell them to try going back.

My parents just texted me to complain about this. Asking if they should switch to TWC. They've had a lot of problems with Frontier Internet, so I am tempted to tell them to try going back.

I would tell them to wait it out for a few weeks. It's not DirecTV's fault, It's the TV stations fault as they are the ones who ultimately have the say in if a station can be carried or not as DirecTV can't carry a station it doesn't have an agreement for. They could always elect must carry but choose not to. Heartland Media has a history of doing this. DirecTV probably did everything in their power to keep the stations up but in the end if the content owner says take it down they have to comply.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
I would tell them to wait it out for a few weeks. It's not DirecTV's fault, It's the TV stations fault as they are the ones who ultimately have the say in if a station can be carried or not as DirecTV can't carry a station it doesn't have an agreement for. They could always elect must carry but choose not to. Heartland Media has a history of doing this. DirecTV probably did everything in their power to keep the stations up but in the end if the content owner says take it down they have to comply.
Its evil at&t's fault

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)