Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is the latest from Viacom. I won't commment on it yet. :)

[h=6]With tonight’s midnight deadline fast approaching, DirecTV is doing a lot of spinning, and very little to get a deal done. Viacom’s team is ready and willing to negotiate. While we wait for DirecTV to come back to the table, let’s take a minute to separate fact from fiction.

Viacom is the most watched programmer on DirecTV. At any given time, one out of five DirecTV viewers is watching one of our channels. Nickelodeon is the #1 network on DirecTV. Yet, DirecTV has been paying us the same, bargain rate for our channels for seven years. It’s an old deal, plain and simple. For as many viewers as we deliver for DirecTV, we believe we’ve earned the right to reasonably update that deal.

DirecTV tossed out some big numbers today that are very misleading. Here’s the truth: Viacom is asking DirecTV for a rate increase of a couple pennies per day, per subscriber. It’s a good, fair deal. In fact, it’s every bit as good for DirecTV – and, in some cases, better – than the deals we have with all of DirecTV’s cable and satellite competitors. DirecTV pays a lot more to programmers with far fewer viewers than Viacom.

We invest an enormous amount of effort, time, and money to produce shows that we think our audiences will love. In 2012 alone, we will spend $3 billion on programming. Contrary to DirecTV’s claims, we’ve got a lot of great new programming coming up in the next few weeks. Awkward and Teen Wolf are in the middle of great sophomore seasons on MTV. Tosh.0 and Workaholics are back with new episodes on Comedy Central. VH1 has new episodes of Mob Wives. Nickelodeon has a much anticipated special featuring British sensation One Direction (just ask your teenage daughter, if you have one).

We do agree with DirecTV on one point. Times are tough. DirecTV subscribers pay a lot of hard earned money – DirecTV should continue to give its customers Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central, VH1, CMT, Spike, TV Land and all the Viacom networks they pay for. DirecTV raised rates on its subscribers by 4% in January. The company is on its way to a record $5 billion in profit in 2012. DirecTV does not need to pass an increase of a couple pennies a day on to its subscribers. DirecTV says it’s fighting for its consumers, but, the numbers tell a different story.
That’s how we at Viacom see it. We’ll continue to work hard to keep our channels on DirecTV through a fair and equitable deal that respects our viewers and recognizes the value of our programming.

Thank you for your support and stay tuned.
[/h]

Dang I went to bed too early last night.

Here is what I got from DIRECTV last night after I went to bed.

We asked Viacom to allow us to keep the channels up while we continue to negotiate but they refused. They are using this tactic to try and leverage over a 30% increase (that’s an additional one billion dollars) from our customers. We’re working diligently on a new agreement to keep making these channels available at a fair price to our customers.

[/h]

30% more being an additional billion dollars means that DIRECTV is currently paying around 3.33 billion dollars for programming from Viacom. This works out to $166.5/year or $13.88/month per sub assuming 20 million subs. 30% increase would be $4.16/month/sub. This is a serious amount of money...

This is more than what HBO or SHO would charge together... So, would you rather have HBO and SHO or Viacom....

Ok my comments on the Viacom update...

Most of it is what they have been saying all day long, but the part that made me laugh was this...

DirecTV does not need to pass an increase of a couple pennies a day on to its subscribers. DirecTV says it’s fighting for its consumers, but, the numbers tell a different story.

They expect DIRECTV to eat the cost of the increase? If that is the case then what dosent Viacom eat it... after all if their CEO gets $43.1 million a year they have some good wiggle room themselves. :D

Looks like it has been posted again, so I will post what they put up now just incase they made any changes. :)

With tonight’s midnight deadline fast approaching, DirecTV is doing a lot of spinning, and very little to get a deal done. Viacom’s team is ready and willing to negotiate. While we wait for DirecTV to come back to the table, let’s take a minute to separate fact from fiction.

Viacom is the most watched programmer on DirecTV. At any given time, one out of five DirecTV viewers is watching one of our channels. Nickelodeon is the #1 network on DirecTV. Yet, DirecTV has been paying us the same, bargain rate for our channels for seven years. It’s an old deal, plain and simple. For as many viewers as we deliver for DirecTV, we believe we’ve earned the right to reasonably update that deal.

DirecTV tossed out some big numbers today that are very misleading. Here’s the truth: Viacom is asking DirecTV for a rate increase of a couple pennies per day, per subscriber. It’s a good, fair deal. In fact, it’s every bit as good for DirecTV – and, in some cases, better – than the deals we have with all of DirecTV’s cable and satellite competitors. DirecTV pays a lot more to programmers with far fewer viewers than Viacom.

We invest an enormous amount of time, effort and money to produce shows that we think our audiences will love. In 2012 alone, we will spend $3 billion on programming. Contrary to DirecTV’s claims, we’ve got a lot of great new programming coming up in the next few weeks. Awkward and Teen Wolf are in the middle of great sophomore seasons on MTV. Tosh.0 and Workaholics are back with new episodes on Comedy Central. Stewart and Colbert are back next week for the stretch run of election season. VH1 has new episodes of Single Ladies. Nickelodeon has a highly anticipated special featuring British sensation One Direction (just ask your teenage daughter, if you have one).

We do agree with DirecTV on one point. Times are tough. DirecTV subscribers pay a lot of hard-earned money for its service. DirecTV should continue to give its customers Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central, VH1, CMT, Spike, TV Land and all the Viacom networks they pay for. DirecTV raised rates on its subscribers by 4% in January. The company is on its way to a record $5 billion in profit in 2012. DirecTV does not need to pass an increase of a couple pennies a day on to its subscribers. DirecTV says it’s fighting for its consumers, but, the numbers tell a different story.

That’s how we at Viacom see it. We’ll continue to work hard to keep our channels on DirecTV through a fair and equitable deal that respects our viewers and recognizes the value of our programming.

Thank you for your support and stay tuned.

Let me get this straight . . . Congress spent millions for two years trying to block the Sirius and XM merger, yet they continuously stand by as networks and others (who are already monopolies) hold cable and satellite companies hostage. Great job, US government, great job! If it wasn't for the wife, I would have left this country by now; tired of this!

As a Direct customer I say let the channels go and possibly the subs. It's a small price in comparison to what might have to be paid in the long run!

Netflix had a lot of it as well.

Never hurts to have a couple of torrent sites as well to fill in over stupid stuff like this.

A couple of pennies a day vs $1 billion from our customers makes me think that of course Viacom is counting by day and DIRECTV perhaps is counting by length of contract (7years?).

Piecing together the two statements has me rethinking from my above post. $1 billion over 7 years (based on Viacom statement of 7 years on previous contract) works out to about magically 2 cents per day... Which would mean that both statements could be correct. About 2 cents per day (a couple of cents as claimed by Viacom) could be $1 billion more for 20 million DIRECTV subs over 7 years.

This would make the previous contract $2/sub/month and the new contract $2.60/sub/month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)