DirecTV Dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jw2016

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Upper Midwest
Not sure if this has been addressed but according to Broadband Reports/DSL Reports, DirecTV is having a dispute with Hearst affecting 33 markets. Those stations may go dark on Jan.1st. It's quite a list.
https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/DirecTV-Could-Lose-33-Stations-in-Latest-Retrans-Feud-138618
https://www.hearst.com/broadcasting/our-markets

Expect more next year. Political advertising and some automobile manufacturers ads that local stations rely on for good revenues were very light in 2016. There are reports of layoffs, newscasts being axed and more central casting of broadcast operations to trim personnel due to lower ad revenues. Individual stations and station groups will be robbing the sat and cable companies for higher retrans fees to offset some of the lost dough.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Same thing happens whenever contracts are up.
Typically with D* they get resolved without losing the channel.
They if they have to will also extend the contract to continue negotiations.

Hopefully they do the same here.

That's one reason I decided on DirecTV as opposed to DISH when I recently decided to go back to satellite. DISH has been known to prolong carriage disputes and dark channels far more than DirecTV. And in the end we pay more anyway.

I kinda hope that the Boston/NH ABC stations go off for just 1 day. When Sunbeam pulled the NBC and CW from Directv, I got the DNS NBC and CW. Still got them now. With other local disputes, I hope to add more DNS, but they have to go away for that to happen!

Yes, DirecTV does seem to resolve this and they are never pulled. DISH isn't held hostage by the broadcasters and does not put up with extortion which means a high probably of those channels removed. Kudos to both providers for not caving in to outrageous retrans fees. On the other hand it's annoying when it does happen which screws viewers that rely on satellite for locals. Here in MN, the Minneapolis/St. Paul DMA is huge and some of the broadcasters don't have translators to cover the the DMA and satellite is a savior for those people.

Speaking for Boston, Hearst would be foolish to pull WCVB and WMUR the same day that NBC Boston launches its newscast. Obviously, this has nothing to do with national ABC vs NBC programming. Lost ABC is a carrot to dangle against Directv. However, on a local programming front, WBTS will be entering the battle on the same day that Hearst has a ******* contest with Directv? That could directly have a long term effect on viewership. Remember, NBC Boston's local news team will basically be NECN, Boston focused. Also, NECN isn't available to satellite subscribers, therefore WCVB viewers from Directv can wake up, see that channel 5 is pulled, tune to channel 10, see their newscast, like it, and that adds up to lower ratings over time for WCVB. Directv isn't the company to pull this with.

I kinda hope that the Boston/NH ABC stations go off for just 1 day. When Sunbeam pulled the NBC and CW from Directv, I got the DNS NBC and CW. Still got them now. With other local disputes, I hope to add more DNS, but they have to go away for that to happen!
That's pretty awesome that you still have them since getting DNS unless you are a trucker or for your camper is like pulling teeth. Since DirecTV offers locals to most markets, getting qualified for DNS is tough, unless you do your homework and can find a good white area. I guess after the DISH distant nets fiasco, DirecTV wanted to be real careful on who can subscribe to them so they aren't busted. The law should be changed to allow DISH and Direct to substitute any disputed local channel to import a DNS network feed or another market if the spotbeam reaches the affected area.

As for you ejb1980 I would think if you don't make any programming changes, you will probably keep them unless the account audit team spots this and takes them away. I am lucky that my "service" address qualifies for significantly viewed locals from another DMA and reside in the other DMA's spotbeam. This comes in real handy when one or the other messes with network programming, weather wall-to-wall coverage, tech issues, etc.

Speaking for Boston, Hearst would be foolish to pull WCVB and WMUR the same day that NBC Boston launches its newscast. Obviously, this has nothing to do with national ABC vs NBC programming. Lost ABC is a carrot to dangle against Directv. However, on a local programming front, WBTS will be entering the battle on the same day that Hearst has a ******* contest with Directv? That could directly have a long term effect on viewership. Remember, NBC Boston's local news team will basically be NECN, Boston focused. Also, NECN isn't available to satellite subscribers, therefore WCVB viewers from Directv can wake up, see that channel 5 is pulled, tune to channel 10, see their newscast, like it, and that adds up to lower ratings over time for WCVB. Directv isn't the company to pull this with.
Or turn to channel 5.1 on thier OTA antenna and continue watching the channel.

Many people have OTA antenna for just such an occurrence.

That's pretty awesome that you still have them since getting DNS unless you are a trucker or for your camper is like pulling teeth. Since DirecTV offers locals to most markets, getting qualified for DNS is tough, unless you do your homework and can find a good white area. I guess after the DISH distant nets fiasco, DirecTV wanted to be real careful on who can subscribe to them so they aren't busted. The law should be changed to allow DISH and Direct to substitute any disputed local channel to import a DNS network feed or another market if the spotbeam reaches the affected area.

As for you ejb1980 I would think if you don't make any programming changes, you will probably keep them unless the account audit team spots this and takes them away. I am lucky that my "service" address qualifies for significantly viewed locals from another DMA and reside in the other DMA's spotbeam. This comes in real handy when one or the other messes with network programming, weather wall-to-wall coverage, tech issues, etc.

I "live" in an area with 2 markets of HD locals on Directv (SE VT) and that address is out of OTA range of everything except PBS. I didn't chose that location because of the potential for DNS availability since I assumed that they would deny the waivers since, like I said, I have 2 markets on Directv. So when I lost NBC WHDH Boston, I still had NBC WNNE Hartford, VT but got DNS anyway.

Or turn to channel 5.1 on thier OTA antenna and continue watching the channel.

Many people have OTA antenna for just such an occurrence.

There are several counties in the DMA where WCVB or WMUR are not reliable OTA. Some customers would be able to receive ABC from Maine, RI, VT, or western MA. But for the vast majority of the population 5.1 or 9.1 will certainly suffice. This is why an improved AM21 unit needs to be developed - it would give them a "hey, we can just have our customers get it OTA for free and still DVR your channel" leg-up on the greedy local owners. But we know that will never happen.

There are several counties in the DMA where WCVB or WMUR are not reliable OTA. Some customers would be able to receive ABC from Maine, RI, VT, or western MA. But for the vast majority of the population 5.1 or 9.1 will certainly suffice. This is why an improved AM21 unit needs to be developed - it would give them a "hey, we can just have our customers get it OTA for free and still DVR your channel" leg-up on the greedy local owners. But we know that will never happen.
I sadly doubt that an improved AM21 is high on the priority list.
With the thought of re doing a new box, they could go back and start adding GOOD OTA tuners back in the recvrs.
I don't expect that to happen, just an idea.
They can't cost them what, about a dime each ?

If they aren't going to spend the money to expand the database for the ota channels, I seriously doubt they will spend money on a new ota tuner itself.

I hope this situation gets the Vermont CW on Directv. We're the only provider who doesn't carry it. It is the -2 of the NBC Hearst Station WPTZ.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)