DirecTV downgrade questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

itzlebron

Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
columbus
Don't recall where I found this forum but you guys seem 100x more knowledgeable and more willing to help than the DirecTV guys I've talked to so maybe you can help me lol. XD

So I just signed up for the DirecTV with $350 BestBuy Gift Card offer with the $29 instant rebate for the next 12 months.

I am currently paying
$64 for Choice Xtra
$5 for additional receiver
$10 for HD Access
$7 for DVR Service
All for $86 subtract $29 rebate = $57 a month for 12 months.

The thing is.. I signed up with the free 2 Upgrades (or rebate, not sure what they call it) for an HD DVR receiver and an HD receiver (both latest receivers).

Here are the terms:

INSTANT REBATE: HD or DVR equipment instant rebate for qualified customers only and requires activation of the CHOICE package or above, or OPTIMO MÁS or above. Second advanced product offer for qualified customers only who select an HD DVR or HD Receiver as the first free equipment upgrade, and requires activation of the CHOICE XTRA package or above; MÁS ÚLTRA or above; Jadeworld; or any qualifying international service bundle, which shall include the PREFERRED CHOICE programming package (valued at $38.99/mo.). DVR service ($7/mo.) required for DVR and HD DVR lease. HD Access fee ($10/mo.) required for HD and HD DVR lease. LIMIT TWO ADVANCED EQUIPMENT REBATE PER DIRECTV ACCOUNT.

Okay, so heres my situation:
I would like to downgrade my Choice Xtra package to the regular Choice for $5 less. I would also like to CANCEL my DVR Service and possibly get rid of my additional receiver as I hardly watch TV in the second room.

Will there be any fees for any of the changes above?

Would I be charged back the rebate for the free receivers if i were to downgrade my Choice Xtra to Choice?

Also, wouldn't it make sense that if I had to return a receiver (if I cancelled the DVR service) that I would just return the HD DVR receiver while still keeping the HD only receiver?

Thanks in advance guys!

Don't recall where I found this forum but you guys seem 100x more knowledgeable and more willing to help than the DirecTV guys I've talked to so maybe you can help me lol. XD

So I just signed up for the DirecTV with $350 BestBuy Gift Card offer with the $29 instant rebate for the next 12 months.

I am currently paying
$64 for Choice Xtra
$5 for additional receiver
$10 for HD Access
$7 for DVR Service
All for $86 subtract $29 rebate = $57 a month for 12 months.

The thing is.. I signed up with the free 2 Upgrades (or rebate, not sure what they call it) for an HD DVR receiver and an HD receiver (both latest receivers).

Here are the terms:

INSTANT REBATE: HD or DVR equipment instant rebate for qualified customers only and requires activation of the CHOICE package or above, or OPTIMO MÁS or above. Second advanced product offer for qualified customers only who select an HD DVR or HD Receiver as the first free equipment upgrade, and requires activation of the CHOICE XTRA package or above; MÁS ÚLTRA or above; Jadeworld; or any qualifying international service bundle, which shall include the PREFERRED CHOICE programming package (valued at $38.99/mo.). DVR service ($7/mo.) required for DVR and HD DVR lease. HD Access fee ($10/mo.) required for HD and HD DVR lease. LIMIT TWO ADVANCED EQUIPMENT REBATE PER DIRECTV ACCOUNT.

Okay, so heres my situation:
I would like to downgrade my Choice Xtra package to the regular Choice for $5 less. I would also like to CANCEL my DVR Service and possibly get rid of my additional receiver as I hardly watch TV in the second room.

Will there be any fees for any of the changes above?

Would I be charged back the rebate for the free receivers if i were to downgrade my Choice Xtra to Choice?

Also, wouldn't it make sense that if I had to return a receiver (if I cancelled the DVR service) that I would just return the HD DVR receiver while still keeping the HD only receiver?

Thanks in advance guys!

Your wanting to return the HD DVR, why not keep the HD DVR and return the reg HD recvr ?
Unless money is the issue.

How long have you had the D* service now, you just signed up for the service ?

I believe you should be able to turn off either of the recvrs as long as you have at least one recvr still active. Not sure what they would say about the rebates.

StoneCold might have better info for you about this.

He would have to send back the dvr as a definite and any rebates pertaining to the dvr and the second receiver would become null and void pushing him into the regular new customer deals and he may have issues with the BB card as well as the wanted changes basically change everything around resulting in a financial loss for D.

I would assume I had to return the HD DVR as I want to cancel the DVR service.

I am moving soon with another job and I do 95% of my TV watching in the living room where I just bought a new LED TV. After looking everything over, I don't see why I should have to pay an additional $17 a month for services I hardly use.

I checked on the website too that if I possibly could have signed up with the choices I wanted. The DIRECTV Store at Best Buy

I currently have the middle option that says $34.99 but now realize I could have got the first option that says $29.99.

that 350 buck card IIRC is contingent on buying a HDTV

Otherwise its the same 29 bucks off that D* directly is doing

edit: you get $50 BB gift card for sigining up and $300 off a TV 499 or more

and yes you would have to return the HD DVR box

just checked D* site and if you started with just Choice you could get the SD DVR for free

So it'll be totally okay to downgrade and return the HD DVR box while keeping the HD Receiver?
I just don't want to get hit with a charge for the HD DVR free upgrade rebate if I were to return it.

Also, after looking this over.. I only got the SECOND HD Receiver for free because I signed up for the Choice Xtra... now if I were to downgrade to regular Choice and return the HD DVR receiver, everything would be okay?

I may just wait until after I receive my gift card just to make sure everything is okay. =) lol

Also, after looking this over.. I only got the SECOND HD Receiver for free because I signed up for the Choice Xtra... now if I were to downgrade to regular Choice and return the HD DVR receiver, everything would be okay?

yes. You still would be charged 10 bucks for the HD package but the 7 buck DVR fee would be gone

Rule for all rebates ,

1. The lowest package you can have and still have your rebates is Choice

2. They would make him return the dvr which isjust insane why people get stuff they dont want or need.

Re your 2nd TV, you can run it off your primary DTV receiver as long as you can live with the same channel as on your main TV. All outputs are hot on the receivers. I'm running 2 HD TVs from one DTV HD receiver. If you get another remote, you can even change the channels from a second room. If range is a problem, you can get an IR blaster for around $40 at Radio Shack.

If you want to get into a setup such as this, a good place to buy long cables is monoprice.com. They have long cables in all the flavors (HDMI, DVI, component, s-video or plain A/V). The first 3 will do HD if your 2nd TV will.

There is a little money necessary to setup the above operation, but never any monthly charges after you wire it up.

Actually I am enjoying the DVR for now until I move in a couple months with another job = less TV time which is why I am currently recording all my Cavaliers game. XD lol
By the time I move out.. NBA season = over = no use for my paying $17 a month if my watching is limited with mostly my main TV.

Also, thanks for the help guys, I feel less stressed and worried cause I know sometimes other services hit you with fees and such. lol =)

Actually I am enjoying the DVR for now until I move in a couple months with another job = less TV time which is why I am currently recording all my Cavaliers game. XD lol
By the time I move out.. NBA season = over = no use for my paying $17 a month if my watching is limited with mostly my main TV.

Also, thanks for the help guys, I feel less stressed and worried cause I know sometimes other services hit you with fees and such. lol =)

But since you have a HD receiver you are still charged $10 a month for HD.

Hey guys,
Will he be able to "Watch" all these Cav's games and other recordings once he turns off his DVR portion, will the box allow you to still watch with out the DVR funtions on your account ?

It would only be a $12 difference $7 dvr and $5 additional receiver fee.

Hey guys,
Will he be able to "Watch" all these Cav's games and other recordings once he turns off his DVR portion, will the box allow you to still watch with out the DVR funtions on your account ?

Once he deactivates the DVR services Directv will make him send his DVR back to them.

Once he deactivates the DVR services Directv will make him send his DVR back to them.

Incorrect.

I have a HD DVR and no longer have DVR service. When I got rid of my DVR service I did lose the ability to watch material that was previously stored on it, but didn't have to return the receiver.

Incorrect.

I have a HD DVR and no longer have DVR service. When I got rid of my DVR service I did lose the ability to watch material that was previously stored on it, but didn't have to return the receiver.

Unless you own the DVR they will make you return it once you stop the DVR service.

They would make him return the dvr which isjust insane why people get stuff they dont want or need.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts