Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I am out of contract with Directv, so I cancelled my service on January 20th. On the 21st, they shipped me out a box to recover the IRD's. I received the box on January 24th, dropped it in the mail on the 25th, and the tracking number shows that Directv received the box in Memphis on the 30th. As of today, Directv claims "we haven't received your equipment," even though they have the tracking number that shows it was delivered. My question is, how long until this becomes an issue and they automatically try to debit my credit cards and/or checking account? Would I see a bill or email before they go into my account? I'll be darned if I'm gonna let these idiots take my hard-earned money, especially when I jumped through all their hoops and IMMEDIATELY returned the equipment on time. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

That is one of the weak links in DirecTVs system.

What should happen is the very day you drop it to THEIR chosen shipper, you should be off the hook since you didn't pick the shipper or method of return, they did.

What I've done in the past, and just did a few moments ago is email them a nicely worded email that basically says:
1. I got the final bill and paid it via whichever method and on what date.
2. I got the boxes and shipped them back via your chosen method, here's the tracking numbers, I have copies of the shipping documents and of the tracking info showing you that info.
3. No PPVs or other charges exist on the boxes
4. This terminates our business relationship and I expect no further charges from you.

I haven't received a reply from this latest one. But the past one was followed up by them.

The reason to use email is for written, trackable proof should they decide to try to bill for something they shouldn't have.

I do the same with Dish when I cancel them.

Anyone know the approximate time that it takes Directv to take a returned receiver off of your account? An installer took two HR20's from my house last Saturday, but they are still showing as active on my account.

I think having them taken off your account, and having them removed from their billing ledger are two separate things. My understanding is that they can show that they've received the box, but then some other department pulls the access cards and audits them for PPV charges, and also logs in the receivers. Until that time, you can still be billed non-return fees. That's just my understanding. If that's the case, it's kinda scary, since technically they have the equipment but they're sitting on it. Smacks of a scam, if you ask me. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong :cool:

Reactions: paul1948
One thing I didn't mention that I've done over the years. I use a very low-limit credit card for these autopay things and only keep as much available credit as an upcoming bill needs to be paid. Yeah, I pay a little interest on the money, but it ensures me that if one of the billers tries to charge an out of the ordinary amount, they won't get it without contacting me in some way. That has prevented a few overbillings from a few companies over the years and gives me peace of mind.

I had 3 HR24s and if D* were to try to get the non-return fee from the single card they have knowledge of, it won't get paid.

And frankly, in spite of all the talk of non-return fees, they really have no leg to stand on if you can provide proof that you sent the articles via THEIR chosen shipping method.

I am out of contract with Directv, so I cancelled my service on January 20th. On the 21st, they shipped me out a box to recover the IRD's. I received the box on January 24th, dropped it in the mail on the 25th, and the tracking number shows that Directv received the box in Memphis on the 30th. As of today, Directv claims "we haven't received your equipment," even though they have the tracking number that shows it was delivered. My question is, how long until this becomes an issue and they automatically try to debit my credit cards and/or checking account? Would I see a bill or email before they go into my account? I'll be darned if I'm gonna let these idiots take my hard-earned money, especially when I jumped through all their hoops and IMMEDIATELY returned the equipment on time. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

I had this same problem with Directv in returning equipment. When I suggested that my attorney would be glad to go to their warehouse and help them find my returned equipment I never heard from them again on that matter.

Anyone know the approximate time that it takes Directv to take a returned receiver off of your account? An installer took two HR20's from my house last Saturday, but they are still showing as active on my account.
They shouldn't have taken them. When I upgraded from 2 R22's and H23 to the HR34/Genie a year ago the installer said I had to call to cancel those receivers I was sending back.

They shouldn't have taken them. When I upgraded from 2 R22's and H23 to the HR34/Genie a year ago the installer said I had to call to cancel those receivers I was sending back.

It's hit an miss. Depends on how the work order is written. If its a system swap, service swap, swap replace then the tech takes the receiver to the local warehouse and it gets shipped back. If the receiver is suppose to go back then the tech would have you sign off on the work order saying you're responsible for the receiver.

Given that the DVRs still show active, I detect the faint smell of a rat. More than enough time has passed to deactivate the DVRs.

It seems like the old equipment should be deactivated shortly before it leaves the home, not days later -- especially given DIRECTV's penchant for charging first and checking receipts later. Deactivating and equipment return processing are two entirely different acts and you can be billed extra for either (or both) of them not being done in a timely fashion.

Charter dinged me an extra two days earlier this week because that was the soonest they could send a service truck to "disconnect" the cable that had been destroyed by a falling limb. That's a little over $4 that I'll never see even if they determine that I wasn't lying about the downed cable.

If DirecTV tries to charge you the non-return fees, as long as you have a good issuing bank for your CC......there's one word that comes to mind....chargeback. Seems to me that would be the best route since you have proof it was received by them. Then D* can duke it out with your bank. In the meantime, you've got your credit line restored.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts