directv first impressions, and troubles

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
okay, I just had directv installed today, my original install date was yesterday, sat. The Install company was at fault, through no fault of directv (even though I do know enjoy a 5 dollar discount per month, on top of soon to be 6 months of free hd, and I got some other goodies, but I am not going to talk about those on here or everyone would be calling them.....
Now I got a directivo (rca dvr40), and a reg sd connection, I have a single lnb round dish, soon to be upgraded to a triple lnb oval dish, next week for hd programming when I get my new hd reciever, now, when I turned on directv the setup was a lot different then dish network, alot easier, the menus are a little more easier to understand for my wife and I, The channel quality seems to be maybe a notch above dish, but I could be wrong on that I kinda got dish when they were overcompressing and moving things around to different sat. The reciever seems to be one of the nicest recievers I have had the rca that is, havent used the other one, butI have had a 811 and the reg dish reciever. As for my wifes opinnion of directv and the directivo, why do you think I am writing this, she currently has control of the reciever and wont let me on, she is setting up some season passes and just messing around having fun with it, currently watching bringing down the house on one tuner, and Tlc on the other, cant believe she has figured it out that quick! we have not had to do any kind of resets which is amazing because of the number we had to do with the other ones, so, as for now that is all I am going to write as I am going to go upstairs and check out whats up with that one, see what its like, also, I have a signal in the low 90s, directv said that is really unheard of for here in ohio, I LIKE IT!

problems: other then the bad install company, Directv seems to be putting me on hold a lot, and also you seem to have to wait about a half an hour minnimum but I may have seem to caught them on a bad weekend, so I will see how the csr's work it out after this!
cant wait to get my hird e86 here and watch some sunday ticket in hd!

and one more note, while I was on the phone witha supervisior asked him about the HMO for Tivo, and all he could say was something big was coming and thats offical, as of what its called he could not say for sure, also said NEW HD is on the way and he talked about bravo and nbc openly and when I pressed him about other hd, he just said know that its on its way and will be here soon (other then nbc and bravo) Directv def. tops in my book so far! :D

and also you seem to have to wait about a half an hour minnimum but I may have seem to caught them on a bad weekend

Its been my experience around 8-9 pm central time our que seems to go down a little bit. Then later on around 11:30-2am central time. Sometimes i get 2-5 minutes between calls during these times. Try calling during these times.

The reciever seems to be one of the nicest recievers I have had the rca that is, havent used the other one, butI have had a 811 and the reg dish reciever. As for my wifes opinnion of directv and the directivo, why do you think I am writing this, she currently has control of the reciever and wont let me on, she is setting up some season passes and just messing around having fun with it, currently watching bringing down the house on one tuner, and Tlc on the other, cant believe she has figured it out that quick! we have not had to do any kind of resets which is amazing because of the number we had to do with the other ones, so, as for now that is all I am going to write as I am going to go upstairs and check out whats up with that one, see what its like, also, I have a signal in the low 90s, directv said that is really unheard of for here in ohio, I LIKE IT!
You made a very wise decision to go with the DirecTivo.

You need the DirecTivo to take full advantage of the DirecTV service. Some forum members have made the mistake of going with the standard receiver, and they are missing out on much of what the service has to offer. IMO, you can't get your money's worth with DirecTV unless you get their DirecTivo. As you've found, it's very easy to use and really improves the TV viewing experience.

There's a good reason why only 0.6% of DirecTV customers with the DirecTivo dropped service last quarter.

CSR Fine

We have had D* for 8 years and have always been happy with them.It's ashame that you waited that long on hold,maybe it was a busy weekend with new specials coming out,I don't remember being on hold for more than five minutes or so,although the service has not made me call that often except to activate new equipement.I have never tried E* but the friends of mine that have, now have D* so that must mean that the service is not as good as D*,was going to get Voom to try out but they seem to be having real problems getting the ball rolling with new subs the worst that I have ever seen in any service

QUOTE=branchbouncer]Datalink backed out of the install,said I was out of their area(don't think so)was handed over AV Wiring Networks in Maryland(def out of my area).Then get an E-mail from Mike at Installs Inc showing the install at 12-5 as before.Get in touch with AV Wiring they don't even have Voom equipement,and can't do install 7/31/04 even if they did.Think they can in another week or so(maybe).So far this is not a good sign,I am not sure why they will not allow a self install,and I think that in the future this will hurt them,anyone can go to the store and buy D* equip and install single/dual/triple LNB dishes and they are on their way,or choose to have a pro install.as far as the software download I think that configuring a computer would harder than configuring a Voom box.
Sorry for the rant,communications are a must within a company and somethingis wrong here

Update:Was to get a call from the installer yesterday afternoon or early evening.Well that didn't happen-Vooms installers are not looking to professional at this time

Update 8/3/04 Well the second company has not called back as of this date,so I guess there is no install on 8/6/04.Voom did call to see how everything was going,reply was that it isn't going, wanted to know about a possible install in 10-12 days,they don't seem to have any idea whats going on,nice and polite but no idea whats going on.I said if they can get something rolling today and install this week before Friday, go for it ,if not I will get back too them about a date in the near future(which I probably won't ) This is starting to look like the Voom Comedy Hour.They really need to start self installs-hell your pointing a dish 166 S at an elevation of 42 degrees(for my location give or take a little) and down loading some software to a stb(and it's a single lnb with no tilt)my 15 year old son helped a friends father install a D* triple lnb,he a was able to set the azimuth/tilt/elevation[/QUOTE]

Welcome to D*,I am sure that you will enjoy

well you are right about everyone at e* switching, or alot of people, th eguy who did my install said that 75% of his work the last month and a hlaf I believe has been people switching to D*, if that tells you anything, thats too bad because the services are similar in channels, but D* seems to be far ahead in equipment, and Csr's(the ones I have talked to have been great, especially the managers!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)