DirecTV: Free DVRs for Everybody

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DirecTV: Free DVRs for Everybody

Courtesy of our friends at the MultiChannel News
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA631082.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP

By Steve Donohue 8/1/2005 12:03:00 AM
DirecTV Inc. said it will offer all new and existing customers free digital-video recorders as part of a series of aggressive promotions the top direct-broadcast satellite provider plans to launch Monday and run through Nov. 5.

For the first time, DirecTV will offer new and existing customers its new DirecTV DVR for $99, including a $100 mail-in rebate.

The DBS provider will also roll out a new offer for its exclusive “NFL Sunday Ticket” package, offering new customers who subscribe to the National Football League’s out-of-market package for $279.96 and commit to one year of any “Total Choice” programming package four free months of its 225-channel “Total Choice Premier” package, which normally costs $93.99 monthly.

DirecTV said it will also slash the price of its 155-channel “Total Choice Plus” package, charging $39.99 monthly for the first four months. It normally costs $45.99 monthly.

And for HDTV owners, new customers who order DirecTV’s $10.99 monthly HD package will get the first three months free.

I was looking into getting the HR10-250 (with ST under the new deal). Do all of the deals stack up, i.e. do I get total choice premier as well as the free HD stations for 3 months? Thanks for your help.

scuiuc said:
I was looking into getting the HR10-250 (with ST under the new deal). Do all of the deals stack up, i.e. do I get total choice premier as well as the free HD stations for 3 months? Thanks for your help.

I think you have to be a new sub for the programming deals...

Go Illini!!

scuiuc said:
So I will be a new sub, so are they cumulative?

Sorry, I can't confirm or deny that. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of at least that little tidbit of information.

Free DVR's? Outstanding! Now D* needs to work out there HD picture quality issues. Downrezzing blows.

asousa said:
my HD DVR is on its way today :) I can't wait.....

Dude you won't regret it!!! Unfortunately, the Phins will play the same no matter how good the picture is. :D

Conflicting Information on D* Website

I just visited the D* website. The FREE DVR ($99.00 - $100.00 MIR) is listed as a separate offer for NEW SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!!! They show a different offer for the same DVR for a net of $48.00 ($148.00 - $100.00 MIR) for "existing" customers. So please clarify as to how to get a FREE DVR if you are an existing D* subscriber.

Matt

You must go to the "Products" page and then click on the "Directv DVR" on their site. It clearly shows 2 different offers - 1 for new subscribers and 1 for existing customers. Sorry, I cannot show the URL to directly link because I am new, this is my second post.

Matto

Further clarification pasted from FAQ on the D* site.......

Q: How can new residential customers get a free DIRECTV DVR?
A: New customers who purchase a DIRECTV DVR System for $99 between 8/1/05 and 11/5/05 will receive a $100 mail-in rebate. You will automatically receive your rebate form in your bill, or you can get a replacement form here. Programming commitment required. Full rebate details.

Q: How can current residential customers save $100 on a DIRECTV DVR?
A: Current customers who purchase a DIRECTV DVR System for $148 between 8/1/05 and 11/5/05 will receive a $100 mail-in rebate. You will automatically receive your rebate form in your first month's bill, or you can get a replacement form here. Programming commitment required. Full rebate details.

2005matto said:
I just visited the D* website. The FREE DVR ($99.00 - $100.00 MIR) is listed as a separate offer for NEW SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!!! They show a different offer for the same DVR for a net of $48.00 ($148.00 - $100.00 MIR) for "existing" customers. So please clarify as to how to get a FREE DVR if you are an existing D* subscriber.

Matt

Buy one from your favorite electronics store or from Robert at Value Electronics linked at top of the page and then send in your rebate form.

Tonedeaf said:
Buy one from your favorite electronics store or from Robert at Value Electronics linked at top of the page and then send in your rebate form.

Correct as usual. As long as you don't mind taking care of the installation yourself. The extra $50 covers the installation.

For existing customers who want to have their DVR professionally installed, you can still order from me or any other favorite electronics store and get the rebate and have DIRECTV installation services run the second coax for $49.99 if you want the DVR professionally installed.

-Robert

To Robert and tonedeaf:

Thank you for the clarification. I will probably do my own install, no problem. Since I have to outlay the cash upfront and wait 6-8 weeks for D* to send me a rebate, I will have to wait about a month to do this - cash is tight right now. Robert, since you clarified this for me, I most likely will buy it from you.

Matto

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Correct as usual. As long as you don't mind taking care of the installation yourself. The extra $50 covers the installation.

For existing customers who want to have their DVR professionally installed, you can still order from me or any other favorite electronics store and get the rebate and have DIRECTV installation services run the second coax for $49.99 if you want the DVR professionally installed.

-Robert

Using a splitter to run the second coax is whats needed for installation, correct?

no, conventional splitters cannot be used with satellite systems. You will need to run a cable from the dish or you will need special multiplexers (or is it diplexers?) to split the cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.