Please reply by conversation.

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
here goes,

a FREE install is:

a dish or dishes mounted on YOUR dwelling ( side wall, roof, eave etc..) with EXPOSED coax cable. an attached phone cable within 25 lineal feet of an EXISTING jack. an entrance point for the coax thru ONE layer of masonary or one stud wall, horizontal.

SO,

wall fish isnt free, phone jacks (hard wired) are not free, poles are not free, wall plates are not free, slave runs are not free, setting up your sound system is not free and i do not care if our remote does not run your DVD, i really dont.

my contract prices:

wall fish. $75 mimimum /per line
phone jacks $65 per, same as verizon
slave runs, $25 plus wall fish fee
wall plates, $10 each
pole mounts $100 plus $2 each foot of coax per line

and all of this is CASH

Just to add if a tech has to go into the attic or under the house, surprise that is not a basic install.

Not all companys charge but some do. I have heard $40.00

yeah , i forgot...

attic crawl, 75.00

and for those of you who think a crawl space is a real basement,, try this on for size, i get muddy , $75 im laying in water, $100 , if you dog is "living in there", call dish nowork!!

I'm jealous, E* have same policy about basic installs and not basic. the best part is that call center have to charge costumer not the tech and we don't get anything for it

dragon002 said:
here goes,

a FREE install is:

a dish or dishes mounted on YOUR dwelling ( side wall, roof, eave etc..) with EXPOSED coax cable. an attached phone cable within 25 lineal feet of an EXISTING jack. an entrance point for the coax thru ONE layer of masonary or one stud wall, horizontal.

SO,

wall fish isnt free, phone jacks (hard wired) are not free, poles are not free, wall plates are not free, slave runs are not free, setting up your sound system is not free and i do not care if our remote does not run your DVD, i really dont.

my contract prices:

wall plates, $10 each

and all of this is CASH

Hey dragon002,

You do phone jacks for $ 65 .... because Verizon does ?
Thats cheap, Ohio Bell, Ameritech, SBC, AT&T , does them for $75 trip charge and I think $ 49 for the jack, I can't remember exactly, it's been quite a while since I was in the install crew.

Jimbo

I work for an hsp that makes us run phone lines to each ird.Dragon,are you your own company,Man I wish I could get that much out of customers!We also have to do poles free if theres line of site issues.I would love to get out on my own instead of the hsp taking all my money,but how does one go about gettin sub work?Dont get me wrong I average about $1200 a week,and dont have to pay for wire,grnd blocks,etc,but theres gotta be more cash out there!

wall plates are not free

Mine was for the R-15. Didn't ask for it though. I guess it was the easiest way for the installer to do it.

wall plates, $10 each

dragon002

Come on man, $75 min for a wall fidsh? that high. I used to charge $35 for an int wall and $55 for an ext wall.
And $10 for a 50 cent wall plate is way to much. come on man, give people a brake, Use the "multiplier factor" look at the person's house and what equipment they have, If the have a new Benz in the garage the price is higher because they can afford it! If they have a 1970 pinto and are betting 2 SD boxes, cut them a break. Look at it if you were in their shoes.

I never charged for going into a crawl space, Only time I would not go in one was if there was a critter in there. Most times it is 5 times faster and you use less equipment running through a crawl space than doing a wrap, plus the install looks better and will hold up longer.

speaking of attic crawls and crawling under mobiles. the hsp here requires us to do both for free unfortunately because i have seen many many mobiles that are trashed underneath and have cats/dogs living under or are crawling with spiders or are just muddy and disgusting. the hsp doesn't do wall fishes. i assume we can charge our own price for these as it's not even covered by the hsp at all. won't be a while before i can do wall fishes. i need to buy some glow rods and would like to get the magnetic cable fisher.

Last edited:
Dragon... who pissed you off... I'm guessing you are probably one of the guys that will tell me it is going to be $75.00 to drop a line down a wall from the attic plus another $40.00 to go up into the attic. $10.00 for a wall plate??? I can only hope that you are cuting in cady boxes. Hell, if you want to do the work that way and it is easier then knock yourself out... but I have seen too many installers try to suck money out of a customer. Try carrying a copy of the " Basic Install" from D or E's website, then work with the customer. As a retailer and installer.. I would much prefer to do a pole mount, bury the line to the house, run it thru 1 inch coduit up the side of the house into a house box and go from there. I've made more money from referrals and reinstalls then I have from losing money refusing to do a 10 minute fish or crawl. But then again... if the customer "DEMANDS" I walk and free phone lines are unheard of.

Ok so we know what a FREE install consists of.....errr..doesn't consist of.:) what about a $99 install? I have Directv installing my AT9 in 2 weeks. Since I'm paying for the install can I get some custom work out of the deal?:confused:

I also need the tech to go into the attic for the coax run. It starts at the back of the house thru the attic... into the garage then into the house. Inside the house are the wall plates or cables themselves. Then a second run to the receiver itself. If he supplies me the coax I can do the attic run myself saving him the effort. Is that possible?

MY current dish is mounted on my eave of the roof. Can the AT9 be mounted successfully there also? Since I have condo rules to follow it makes it a little tough. Hopefully he can make it work ok. The apex of the roof might be the strongest.

wobbie said:
Dragon... who pissed you off... I'm guessing you are probably one of the guys that will tell me it is going to be $75.00 to drop a line down a wall from the attic plus another $40.00 to go up into the attic. $10.00 for a wall plate??? I can only hope that you are cuting in cady boxes. Hell, if you want to do the work that way and it is easier then knock yourself out... but I have seen too many installers try to suck money out of a customer. Try carrying a copy of the " Basic Install" from D or E's website, then work with the customer. As a retailer and installer.. I would much prefer to do a pole mount, bury the line to the house, run it thru 1 inch coduit up the side of the house into a house box and go from there. I've made more money from referrals and reinstalls then I have from losing money refusing to do a 10 minute fish or crawl. But then again... if the customer "DEMANDS" I walk and free phone lines are unheard of.

wobbie,

i havent set a pole in 5 years, havent fished in 4 years.

i make 240 to 300 per day doing basic installs, why would i let someone slow me down and make less per day?

i have a 99.5% non call back rate.

so what am i doing wrong??

With a basic installation I will crawl under a house or go into an attic. If I use more than a reasonable amount of wire particularly if there is two or more rooms to be installed then there will be an additional fee per foot for the wire. I generally charge a fee for just the wire. I give the customer the option if they want to bury the wire or not to save money on the installation during a pole mount and an extra fee applies if I put it on the pole (especially during the SuperDish installation days). I work with the customer on the fees and tell them how much my competetors charge then offer then a discount particularly if a few additional fees apply (such as wire, pole mount, etc) or if the customer is on a budget or has a limit to what they have to spend.

If it is really muddy underneath a house/trailor the customer runs the wire underneath the house. Many customers offer to do that and other things to help out on the install. If they do then I am more generous with what is due at the end. Most installs do not carry an additional fee though and I have went out of my way to put in some systems when most others would not and charge them a $70 fee to come to their home to tell them that they cannot get a signal and leave. I come out and get them a signal even if it means that the dish is 200+ fee away from their home. Only 1-2% of the homes I installed for have not had a line of sight to the satellites. Having the most issues with line of sight with 129. HUGE mistake making 129 the choice for locals in WV where there's lots of trees or hills. 110 would be MUCH better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)