Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Directv / Gannett possible dispute

From DirecTV:
We remain in productive discussions with Gannett Broadcasting and have no intention of removing any of their local stations from DIRECTV customers’ line-ups after Nov. 30 since only Gannett can do that. DIRECTV customers should rest assured that, even though Gannett has removed its stations from other distributors’ customers before, those interruptions were resolved within hours and not days. We would hope Gannett will not resort to any unnecessary blackout, however brief it might be.
http://www.directvpromise.com/gannett-broadcasting/

Directv reupped with Gannett just two years ago, guess it wasn't a very long agreement.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...es-Six-Retransmission-Deals?highlight=gannett

Here is a list of Gannett stations, though I haven't checked to see if all are carried by Directv, most are:
WBIR-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee
WXIA-TV and WATL in Atlanta
WUSA in Washington, D.C.
KPNX in Phoenix
WTSP in Tampa-St. Petersburg
KARE in Minneapolis-Saint Paul
KUSA-TV and KTVD in Denver
WKYC-TV in Cleveland
KXTV in Sacramento, California
KSDK in St. Louis
WZZM-TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan
WFMY-TV in Greensboro, North Carolina
WJXX and WTLV in Jacksonville, Florida
WGRZ-TV in Buffalo, New York
KTHV-TV in Little Rock, Arkansas
WLTX in Columbia, South Carolina
WMAZ-TV in Macon, Georgia
WCSH-TV in Portland, Maine
WLBZ-TV in Bangor, Maine

Well here in the Grand Rapids area there wouldn't be much concern, we have a second ABC affiliate in the DMA, both carried by Directv in HD.

Well here in the Grand Rapids area there wouldn't be much concern, we have a second ABC affiliate in the DMA, both carried by Directv in HD.

I think I can count the number of times I've watched the local ABC channels here in GR, and that was during snow. Think I can stand another channel.

I got this message from KSDK here in St.Louis,Mo yesterday....A message for DirecTV customers: At KSDK, nothing is more important to us than providing all of our viewers the very best news, weather, sports and entertainment in our area, and being a part of this community.To do that, our company must reach agreements with TV providers that bring our signal into your home. We are proud of the fact that in our history we have NEVER had a situation where a major distributor stopped carrying our station. In fact, just this past October we reached a multi-year agreement with DISH Network.Now, we are negotiating an agreement with DirecTV and, unfortunately, so far DirecTV has refused to reach a fair, market-based agreement with us.If no deal is reached by midnight on November 30, DirecTV customers could lose KSDK. That would mean losing some of your favorite programming including “The Voice”, Sunday Night Football, “Parenthood” and “Saturday Night Live” and your local KSDK news, weather and sports.We are as disappointed as you are about this situation. After all, the deal being discussed with DirecTV is fundamentally similar to the deal we just reached with DISH Network.You can help us resolve this matter. If you contact DirecTV at 1-888-777-2454 and let them know you want KSDK on air, it may help us reach a deal. Also, you should know you have choices. KSDK has agreements with every other provider in our area, and we are always available free over-the-air. Click here http://www.ksdk.com/ to learn more.Thank you for taking the time to read this message. We will continue to post updates here as our negotiations continue and hope you will share this information with any of your friends who also subscribe to DirecTV........I e-mailed them back on my disappointment with them and there greed and why we shouldn't have to pay for OTA when we get it free if we don't have cable or satellite and haven't gotten a response yet back from them and alot of people on their FB page or going off on them and saying same things I did in e-mail to them :)

Channel 11 here in Little Rock has been scrolling the same warning since yesterday. Unfortuneately, this is the CBS outlet, KTHV, here in Little Rock and affects many of the highest rated shows such as NCIS and the Big Bang Theory as well as NFL football, SEC football, etc. AS usual, each of the companies points their finger at the other for the possible disruption in service while we, the viewer, has little power in the matter and must wait for cooler heads to eventually solve the dispute.

same crap from a month or so ago when Gannett went after Dish....so here in Minneapolis KARe11 (NBC) is doing this HUGE scroll on the bottom of the screen like 5 times an hour

They have one of mine listed, but I have the AM21, so I'm not as impacted as most would be. :cool:

This is the way I am set up and have been since day one, the OTA is always there are a fall back !

When my locals were looking to go done a year or so back, I was able to watch them OTA.

One thing to remember, IF you Record the D* supplied channel, make sure to change it to the OTA one, just incase this does turn into a loss of channel...

Huge banner plastered at the top of the screen during primetime (OTA) of CBS (WUSA) in Washington, DC.
Yes, this always makes it enjoyable to watch your favorite programming ...:rolleyes:

Seeing the ones watching the channel have Nothing to do with it, they really shouldn't do this.

Is this the one that says that THIER channel is Not at Fault and the Provider is, or the other way around.

We never had them both in SD did we? I dont remember seeing ch 13 on DTV until it was in HD....

in regards to the huge ass scroll.....it sucks because what a month or so ago we had the SAME thing but insert "DISH NETWORK" where "DIRECTV" is now

you go to the KARE11 facebook page and some of the comments are hilarious. The only ones that are true are the ones who mention that they get it OTA or the ones who mentioned the Dish issue recently.
The best ones? The people who say "Get Comcast then you wont have that issue"...YEAH RIGHT!

in regards to the huge ass scroll.....it sucks because what a month or so ago we had the SAME thing but insert "DISH NETWORK" where "DIRECTV" is now

you go to the KARE11 facebook page and some of the comments are hilarious. The only ones that are true are the ones who mention that they get it OTA or the ones who mentioned the Dish issue recently.
The best ones? The people who say "Get Comcast then you wont have that issue"...YEAH RIGHT!

:D

They must have reached.an agreement as KTHV in Little Rock is still on

Agreement in the last hour are common, also could have been that they decided to continue negotiation and not remove the channel as an act of good faith .

This too happens often with these type of negotiations.

Hard to say if it is an agreement or an extension while they negotiate. A positive sign I glanced at WZZM13.com and they removed the banner alerting Directv customers, so that may be a sign of an agreement.

I figured they would settle Directv is good at settling contracts :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)