Directv HD Dish convert for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Myself personally, I like a bigger dish; like 120 cm. (from Glorystar forum) or even bigger; like a 12 footer; to get those 97W signals. It adds channels too many miss. Bet more channels are available.

But its fun to experiment if you have a pile of old DTV dishes. Very low cost fun.
Especially good if you have a workshop or barn you want some TV in for cheap.

Reactions: richyrich
I will either move the dish from the side so I have a clear view of the sky, or order a 36" dish and mount it with a motor. A lot of growth around my house has blocked a lot of the western sky. I have a tower that I might be able to mount it to, or I will get a tripod and put it on the roof. I'm not sure which I will do until I have a chance to look around for what I have, and what I will need. I will refer back to this thread when I want to give it another try. Thanks for all the help, I was not convinced that I was going to ge that dish to work where it was mounted.

I have some older round Dish network, perfectly round dishes in the attic, will they pick up 97,or 95w?

Reactions: richyrich
But its fun to experiment if you have a pile of old DTV dishes. Very low cost fun.
Especially good if you have a workshop or barn you want some TV in for cheap.

Yes, they do work just like everybody that has a shed full of any larger 24"+ with any name; needs to use them as FTA really is a watch it free tv any dish with your lnbf type is a .5-.8 but may have better noise every once in a while; otherwise any of the linear standard/univ. lnbfs will be only thing needed.and.mounting is plumbers strap and plastic square screwed to holder bars; sanction dish middle at 24"+ slabs keep offset and focal dist. at highest level; boom free tv; the stacked fss on a 24" superdish is a linear satellite dish (or on a old 24" wide 18" tall world directv dish with feed (offset conical) is linear with g3 at their aimed 95w in center only (is moved to 97W for FTA) and changed lnbf from Horizontal 500 block of only G3; using this same part and holder (it is fine science to build the flanges and lnbfs into a 4 bolt mind using waveguide (and what do you know, the fss stacked DN lnbf from the superdish fits this waveguide/feedhorn from DTV dish (i sold this too for 97w; actually will post the pic soon, they all work); (which is a copy of the old "Prime" offset primestar mini-dish revolution. Now, the 24" dish network superdish with fss stacked does have a little trouble (focus now, skew too) getting all satellite channels from AMC linear 129W? 131w? PBS HD and feeders for LPBS on AMC 3?; but still does 97W just fine is many more channels that are free...is the grade how old the signals are today.

Last edited:
My microHD cuts out at 50 percent; my 1200 about 45 percent; so only the margin shows; and how old the signal is...cont. working it till it does not get any better; is the picture of the bracket; and design to offset angulation to the reflected signals. The mount on the picture fred555 is showing; is the offset part #$3.59/20/40 lnbf incl. and it adds up; not very much and plastic? YES EASY! In the dishes design is also other satellites at offset; with more satellites per mount/lnbf; if multi-satellite fta is larger dish; or more medium, in placement. the dish. But m here the thread runs wide angle lense; THE PART # AND LNBf design; have a few dishes if not all of them, why? They do work upside down and sideways also! And every 24" toroidial new type also works FTA; with corrected lnbf

Last edited:
This how the lnb sits on the dish. Maybe it is not aiming at the dish properly?

It does look like the LNB is low. Looks like you may have mounted the bracket inside the arm to one of the holes in the bottom of the arm? Mount it on top of the arm, if that's the case, not inside. Or, what I did, was stick a thin board into the LNB arm and I mounted the LNB bracket to that, that way it's also centered and not slightly off by using one of the two existing holes. Your dish and bracket looks exactly like mine, but the end of your LNB arm looks like it maybe has a different mount than mine. I'll try to get a couple of pictures up of one of my Slimlines in the next day or so, so you can see where abouts the LNB should aim.

How far out does that edge of the roof above the dish stick out?

Here's a few pictures of my Slimline on 97W. It's not pretty, the person who had it before me had hacked the end of the arm up bad but it works good, even in snow/rain. The board doesn't need to stick out as far as it does, it's that way because I had another board mounted to the end of it with a block on it and a LNB aimed at another sat. It's gone now because for some reason or another, one of our horses liked to try to chew on it every time it walked by it, didn't bother with any of the others but that one, so I took it off.

100_9368.JPG 100_9375.JPG 100_9371.JPG 100_9373.JPG

Here's my small 18X20 dish on 95W:

100_9372.JPG

Reactions: danristheman
I found one of these dishes on the curb a few weeks ago and I'm looking to get back into the FTA scene any recommendations on what lnb I should get, last fta system I bought was pre assembled.

Its best to get a 36 inch dish with a pll lnb amiko mini hd. Dtv dishes are something just to play with. They do work but not as well as a 36 inch round dish.

A PLL LNB definitely, they do make a difference on the smaller dishes. My small Ku dishes have Avenger PLL322S-2 LNBs and they work good.

I just bought a Amiko Premium L-104 PLL this past week from Got Cband and it works just as good as the Avengers do on a 30'' dish, I haven't had a chance to try it on one of the smaller dishes yet though, but it seems like a good LNB and probably would work good.

thanks everyone for the replys once I have a little cash I'll probably buy one and my receiver is an Openbox Z5 and I heard the tuner is pretty good on it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)